Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

baseball_1 - Copy (resized).jpg
Hit_Stepper_Issue (resized).jpg
Hit_LockRelay (resized).jpg
Hit_Schem_1 (resized).jpg
Hit_Run_Start (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello All - I originally started a thread on this game over in the EM Arcade section, but after spending some time with it and reviewing the schematics, it's basically an EM pinball with a baseball theme. Though it's a bit of a hybrid pitch and bat and pin, it's closer to a pin functionally when I compare it to my other EM pins, so I think you guys will be able to help me out as usual!

Current Status: I was able to, after some cleaning, get the game to power on and some GI to light up. After checking/cleaning some of the start-up related switches and relays, I'm able to Press the Start/Reset button and the game will attempt to reset. The score reels will reset, score motor will turn, but then it continues to run constantly and the game never finishes its reset cycle. Game Over light stays on during this process. If I shut the machine off and turn it on, it will finish its current score motor rotation and stop. Pressing Start causing it to get stuck in the reset cycle again.

My first instincts are to go after the Zero positions on the score reels, and review the Game Over relay for issues. I'll be looking that over tonight.

Some Info:

A quick look over the game tells me that someone over the years has messed with it in various ways. Things I noticed right away:

- Connections to the Lock Relay have been cut, and someone appears to have jumpered/bypassed the relay. I've never seen this before.

- One of the Steppers in the head has been tampered with. ALL three of the wiper blades have been pulled away from the stepper unit, so they do not make contact with the board or rivets. The Stepper is unlabeled, but based on my manual I believe it is either the Grand Slam Unit or the Strike Unit. I hope to figure out more about it with some cleaning and inspection.

- Coin door wiring is completely removed, and there is no jones plug to connect to the game. Not sure if this can cause issues with startup. So far I just manually add credits to the credit wheel.

The Start/Reset sequence for the machine is different than I'm used to, and probably a little unique. I will scan it and upload it in my next post, along with some relevant schematic info.

#2 7 years ago

Start Sequence and piece of schematic as promised...

Hit_Run_Start (resized).jpgHit_Run_Start (resized).jpg

Hit_Schem_1 (resized).jpgHit_Schem_1 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Here's the Lock Relay with the cut wire, and Stepper Unit that has all its wipers bent away for some reason. Both of these look intentional. Note that the Lock Relay switches look like they've been bent out of place as well. The one at the bottom of the image never makes contact, and the center switch always makes contact. So even if this wire wasn't cut, the relay would need adjusting at the switch level.

Hit_LockRelay (resized).jpgHit_LockRelay (resized).jpg
Hit_Stepper_Issue (resized).jpgHit_Stepper_Issue (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Heading over to work on it now. I'll try to check this post while I'm there in case anyone spots something I should check. Thanks

#5 7 years ago

Made some good progress, and of course that means I have new issues. Here's what I did and where I'm at:

- Cleaned all switches on relays related to the Start up sequence. Cleaned Inning Unit and related switches. Cleaned and adjusted score reels to ensure 0 position was correctly registering.

- Start Up sequence worked better, but Game Over relay refused to engage as it should. Found that the Lock Relay, which I mentioned had its wire cut and switches bent away, was the issue. Jumpered Lock Relay and corrected switches. This fixed the issue with the Game Over Relay not energizing as it should.

- Start/Reset sequence appears to now be functioning as it should. Game will reset scores, innings, outs, etc. If I press the Start/Reset button a second time, the game enters 2-player (2 Can Play) mode as it should.

Current status and issues

- After reset sequence, Player should be able to press the "Pitch" button on the control panel area to pitch a ball. The Pitch Button is supposed to cause the Pitch Relay to energize, which in turn does several things, including: run the Pitch Motor, energize the Zone Relay and energize the Bat Relay.

*** Problem 1 - The pitch button does not seem to fully trigger the Pitch Relay, so the Zone and Bat Relays do not energize. The Pitch Motor only runs briefly, struggling to turn and eject the ball as it should. If I manually trigger the Pitch Relay, the other steps described occur correctly, including the full function of the pitch motor. Something is preventing the Pitch Relay from pulling and staying pulled long enough to rotate the Pitch Motor and energize the necessary coils on other Relays.

- If I skip using the Pitch Button and manually trigger the Pitch Relay, things progress to the next stage. Once the Bat Relay and Zone Relays are energized, the Bat Button becomes functional. Pressing the Bat Button energizes the Swing Relay. The Swing Relay energizes the "Man Motor Release Coil, which allows the Man Motor to function. (The Man Motor, aside from having an amusing name, is what causes the "runners" to run around the bases.)

*** Problem 2 - Once a ball is batted, the runner is supposed to continue running until the ball actuates a switch on the playfield. Currently, no playfield switches seem to function and stop the runner. I will need to work on this after solving Problem 1 above.

I had to leave, as I ran out of time to work on it today. I think I will scan all of my files, and upload them to IPDB where possible, as no documentation for this game exists. Hopefully that will help someone in the future as well.

Any thoughts/advice are welcome!

6 months later
#7 6 years ago

Reviving an old thread because I finally brought this home and spent an afternoon working on it. Got it up and running! Still a few small things to take care of, but it's playing great and it's being enjoyed. Backglass is flaked in places, but the playfield is amazing.

Anyone out there have one with instruction cards they can send me some good pics of perhaps?

Definitely a change of pace from a stand-up target pitch and bat, and the "chasing lights" animation as the batters/runners go around the bases is very cool. I'm impressed that they even run past the base, and if the ball is "fielded" (switch hit) they will actually reverse direction and return to the nearest base if they haven't gone halfway. Some complex little features in this design. Pretty satisfying when you hit the ball "out of the park" and the game goes wild flashing and bell ringing away as the players run the bases.

baseball_1 - Copy (resized).jpgbaseball_1 - Copy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

Yep, that's the game! I can do a quick video without all the music sometime, sure. The one in the vid you linked is in nicer shape backglass-wise.

The one on that video also has the instruction cards I need, but I can't seem to find a good clear view of them by pausing the video!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hit-and-run-base-ball-williams-1970-1971?tu=MaxAsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.