(Topic ID: 257207)

Historically inaccurate information in Youtube video's

By fingersport

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

I just watched a video on youtube "Greatest Pinball Machines of all time" I counted 6 inaccuracies in the video. Black Knight was the first talking pinball. Wrong Eight Ball Deluxe was the best selling pinball of all time up until that date. Wrong There are at least 4 other mistakes. The history of our hobby is very complicated. Fortunately it is one of the best documented. Over the years starting in around 1960 (my best guess) pinball historians started gathering data and documenting every aspect of pinballs history. You might be surprised who some of these pinball historian are. Roger Sharpe, Rob Berk, Gary Flowers, Sam Harvey, Steve Young, the creators of the Mr. Pinball Price Guide the care takers of IPDB and many others. The above mentioned video is not alone. From what I have seen somewhere around 50% of the videos have at least one error. And many have 2 or 3. So whats the answer to inaccurate videos. I have two suggestions. One if you make a video don't state something unless you are sure its a fact. Do some research before you make your video. Find at least 2 sources to backup your statement. Don't use youtube as one of them. My second suggestion is, if you find a error in a pinball video politely correct the mistake and document where that information can be found. Well that's the end of my rant. I don't want to be the pinball history police. My goal is promote the dissemination of accurate pinball history. If you have any idea's. Please comment. Feel free to take shots at me. I know I'm a little anal at times.

Pinball historian, Don...aka fingersport

#2 4 years ago

Someone was wrong about something on the internet? I'm shocked!

#3 4 years ago

Like Abraham Lincoln said - Don’t believe everything you see on the internet!

#4 4 years ago

Comic Book Guy, that you!?

#6 4 years ago

This is where we should all start insisting that stated facts be accurate, in pinball videos!

#7 4 years ago

Fake "facts" seem to be in vogue lately.

#8 4 years ago

I'mma post this just to cause your other eye to twitch...

https://www.facebook.com/UNILADTech/videos/diy-pinball-bouncers/2728766753814037/

*** since there's no preview pane, I'll just say it's titled "This is how pinball bouncers are made" and let y'all draw your own conclusions.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Someone was wrong about something on the internet? I'm shocked!

Quoted from Billc479:

Like Abraham Lincoln said - Don’t believe everything you see on the internet!

Ha! That’s the internet for ya

#10 4 years ago

Well a good thing about videos is that there are no (incorrectly used) apostrophes. JK you asked for shots.

#11 4 years ago

its more obscure than we think.....
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    Ten Thousand reward to prove them wrong.....

#12 4 years ago

Have you seen this one? Your head's gonna explode! Ha...

How 'bout instead we just have a thread of the funniest pinball videos?

This one gets me tearing when it reaches #3 Loch Ness...

"The paddles are coated with rubber for better maneuverability..."

LOL, so many gems in this one... "The older models are called manual"...

On the other hand, I know what source to reference when I'm ready to sell my Avatar!

#13 4 years ago

If Game play is clear and well lit/framed I don't care what these guys spout off, just make it brief or I'm fast-forwarding.

#14 4 years ago

Interesting to see the pinside response. If I posted a video that said the best way to clean a dirty playfield was to wash it down with water and a scotch brite pad the response would be fast and furious.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Have you seen this one? Your head's gonna explode! Ha...

How 'bout instead we just have a thread of the funniest pinball videos?
    This one gets me tearing when it reaches #3 Loch Ness...
    "The paddles are coated with rubber for better maneuverability..."
    LOL, so many gems in this one... "The older models are called manual"...
    On the other hand, I know what source to reference when I'm ready to sell my Avatar!

Thanks, I hate it.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Fake "facts" seem to be in vogue lately.

Disinformation is the way of the world now. Truth takes a back seats to followers/subscribers in this "hey look at me society".

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from fingersport:

Interesting to see the pinside response. If I posted a video that said the best way to clean a dirty playfield was to wash it down with water and a scotch brite pad the response would be fast and furious.

Saw someone post on FB the other day swearing by cleaning their playfields with WD40. Haha

#18 4 years ago

Don't "study" history on YouTube...

#19 4 years ago

Remember the outrage this video caused?

10 best pinball games....right.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/historically-inaccurate-information-in-youtube-video-s?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.