Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DEWSHO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Every once in a great while a pinball machine is created which stands far above its contemporaries.
For example:

1. King of Diamonds
2. El Dorado
3. Centaur
4. Funhouse
5. The Addam's Family

And now the next great machine has finally come along:
AC/DC

When we think of pinball flyers we usually envision them as promotional material full of hype. I must admit, when I looked over the AC/DC flyer and read about how the rules allowed for an almost limitless combination of strategies, I thought exactly this. But after playing the game extensively, I realized that AC/DC really DID present all of the incredible possibilities it claimed in the flyer.

When will the next spike occur ?
It could be years.

#2 11 years ago

With all the pins coming this year, I suspect this year will be full of spikes.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

AC/DC

Nailed it !!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

AC/DC

Steve had his A game going when he designed it.

If he brings the same effort into Star Trek, that game will be awesome.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

You left High Speed off the list.

#6 11 years ago

You skipped LOTR

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

You left High Speed off the list.

The list is by no means comprehensive guys, it is some examples of seminal tables -- games that were hugely popular and creative. Maybe way ahead of their time and/or mind-blowingly fun to a wide spectrum of players -- from hardcore pinheads to casual players. Of the two above, I would be more inclined to put High Speed on "the list" than LOTR, though both are great tables. People could make a valid argument for adding Fireball and so on. But I am just trying to show the flavor of what a spike represents. And then to show my opinion of how phenomenal AC/DC is by adding it as another example of this sort of spike.

#8 11 years ago

If we are going to make lists like this then...

The caveman that cooked with fire
Thomas Edison
Steve Jobs
Me

#9 11 years ago

I think AC/DC is going to break all the sales records Stern has made to date. It is an awesome game, no question. I actually like it more than my Tron LE (which I never thought I would say) and just have it sitting at No. 2 right now to see if it will stand the test of time with me.

I just scored a 99 mill point game on AC/DC last night at my buddies house. Great game; worthy of all the praise that is heaped on it. I would buy my own except that I am on strike from Stern till they get my XMen LE working . . . till then, I will only restore older games and have them added to the collection.

#10 11 years ago

I wonder when Stern's ac/dc licensing expires?

#11 11 years ago

There is absolutely nothing stunning or revolutionary about AC/DC. It's a pretty good pin, but I see nothing phenomenal about it's production, ranking or popularity on any site.

I don't agree with your list. It plain sucks. AC/DC premium LE is rated at 14 in the pinside ranking. There are 13 other machines ranked higher. And El Dorado? It's rated at 19 out of EMs on IPDB top 300 list and had a measely production number under 3000. It's ranked 18th on pinsides EM list. There's not a single 'historical' reason that should this pin should even be considered at all. I'm thinking of a lot more significant/popular EM games that could take the place of El Dorado.

however... I'll give you the Addams Family (significance: over 20K produced) even though I am not a big fan.

IMO that list should have these titles somewhere above the others you selected:

Medieval Madness - Over the top in my book, I don't really go for it but it's hype popularity and price put it in almost it's own class.

Attack from Mars - Popular A-lister and my personal fav.

High Speed - immensely popular during it's time and still sought after. Loaded with firsts:
First pinball to play a complete song.
First Williams pinball game to use alpha-numeric displays.
First use of Auto Percentaging (for replay scores).
First Jackpot available only during multiball.
First use of broken switch compensation programming.
First SS game with operator report.

Twilight Zone - "includes more features with patents pending than any other game in history!"

#12 11 years ago

El Dorado was put on the list because the layout was so good it was used on several other machines due to its originality:
Canada Dry
Target Alpha
Solar City
El Dorado Cities of Gold

I'm not sure another layout has been copied to this extent - I certainly doubt it. Personally I believe this qualifies as a historical reason even though you claim there are no historical reasons to include it on the list. Since this historical reason doesn't appear on any websites I guess it must be an invalid reason. Only things on websites are valid after all.

If you feel that the pinside and ipdb lists are the gold standards of pinball machine quality (they don't use playfield re-use as a criteria I am guessing) and wish to judge machines by their positions on these lists then so be it. It is not an unreasonable method to judge machines.

The machines you are mentioning are of high quality. As I stated earlier, the list is not intended to
be comprehensive, but rather to illustrate my thoughts about AC/DC as a comparative set of examples. Also I am not sure why you are assuming that AC/DC LE (or pro for that matter) will remain in position 14 forever on the pinside list. Do relatively recent releases always remain in the same place ? Maybe they do, but I have not used this list or the ipdb lists in the construction of the sample list in the OP so I don't know how static the rankings are.

Sorry about including dogs like Centaur on "the list" (which I already stated in previous posts is not some definitive end-all gold standard), I don't know what I was thinking.

Quoted from wayout440:

There is absolutely nothing stunning or revolutionary about AC/DC. It's a pretty good pin, but I see nothing phenomenal about it's production, ranking or popularity on any site.
I don't agree with your list. It plain sucks. AC/DC premium LE is rated at 14 in the pinside ranking. There are 13 other machines ranked higher. And El Dorado? It's rated at 19 out of EMs on IPDB top 300 list and had a measely production number under 3000. It's ranked 18th on pinsides EM list. There's not a single 'historical' reason that should this pin should even be considered at all. I'm thinking of a lot more significant/popular EM games that could take the place of El Dorado.
however... I'll give you the Addams Family (significance: over 20K produced) even though I am not a big fan.
IMO that list should have these titles somewhere above the others you selected:
Medieval Madness - Over the top in my book, I don't really go for it but it's hype popularity and price put it in almost it's own class.
Attack from Mars - Popular A-lister and my personal fav.
High Speed - immensely popular during it's time and still sought after. Loaded with firsts:
First pinball to play a complete song.
First Williams pinball game to use alpha-numeric displays.
First use of Auto Percentaging (for replay scores).
First Jackpot available only during multiball.
First use of broken switch compensation programming.
First SS game with operator report.
Twilight Zone - "includes more features with patents pending than any other game in history!"

#13 11 years ago

Another thread about lists.

Wayout doesn't really like MM but its his number one due to hype and popularity. Why would you say its the best if you don't like it? Because everyone else does? Why isn't AFM your number 1 like you say it is?

Let me know when you guys figure it out.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Every once in a great while a pinball machine is created which stands far above its contemporaries.
For example:

1. King of Diamonds
2. El Dorado
3. Centaur
4. Funhouse
5. The Addam's Family

AC/DC

Gladiators stands a couple inches taller than all of these (less the topper on TAF)

#15 11 years ago

Dr. Gonzo, the only reason I included a list at all was to provide a yardstick for expressing how amazing AC/DC is. Stating it is up there with a sample list (if you don't like the list, make your own great list and a lot of people will probably add AC/DC to your list) of all-time great pins makes the point better than throwing some over-used adjectives around with no context.

Thank you.
SolarRide

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Wayout doesn't really like MM but its his number one due to hype and popularity. Why would you say its the best if you don't like it? Because everyone else does? Why isn't AFM your number 1 like you say it is?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Gladiators stands a couple inches taller than all of these (less the topper on TAF)

In that case I wish I had included Big Guns

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

In that case I wish I had included Big Guns

Maybe.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

If we are going to make lists like this then...
The caveman that cooked with fire
Thomas Edison
Steve Jobs
Me

Edison?? Haha the guy couldn't hold Nikola Tesla's jock strap. Without Tesla there is no AC in AC/DC...

#19 11 years ago

For another example
1. Fireball
2. El Dorado
3. Joker Poker
4. Black Knight
5. High Speed
6. Medieval Madness

#20 11 years ago

Nice list O-din. With a Pinside handle like yours, I'm not surprised you included Fireball.

Quoted from o-din:

For another example
1. Fireball
2. El Dorado
3. Joker Poker
4. Black Knight
5. High Speed
6. Medieval Madness

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Nice list O-din. With a Pinside handle like yours, I'm not surprised you included Fireball.

I like your list too, but the part about standing far above the rest? Everybody has their own opinion on that.

#22 11 years ago

Indeed they do. In aggregate I feel like AC/DC will hold it's own (the list in the OP was also an aggregate construct based on opinions I have heard over several years from many people, and not my personal favorite list). If it were just me that liked AC/DC, I would not have made the OP.

Heck, if I made my own personal list, then Bonebusters might make it on there

Thank you.
SolarRide

Quoted from o-din:

I like your list too, but the part about standing far above the rest? Everybody has there own opinion on that.

#23 11 years ago

OP,
For full disclosure, are you an AC/DC owner?

#24 11 years ago

I've had a chance to play Back in Black, and it is a fun pin, maybe Sterns best, but it's easy to call it miles above the rest when the rest bowed out years ago. So hats off to Stern for continuing to make cutting edge machines based on cutting edge material.

#25 11 years ago

No, PorkChopExpress, I do not own an AC/DC (and there is not one in my abode). My main exposure to the game has been on location.

Thank you.
SolarRide

Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

OP,
For full disclosure, are you an AC/DC owner?

#26 11 years ago

I personally have no love for AC/DC, and do not see it being one of the all time greats.

Cannot figure what you qualifications for the list are.

Stating that ElDorado was a popular theme because of re-themes, I will point out that Gottlieb was notorious for re-hashing playfield designs under new themes and not all are classics.

Fast Draw/Quick Draw morphed into Amazon Hunt!

#27 11 years ago

I think we are all overlooking "Raven" on these lists, come on . . . .

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

think we are all overlooking "Raven" on these lists, come on . . . .

Not to mention.................. Judge Dredd ........................

#29 11 years ago

Wish we never sold our beloved Raven... She was an object of beauty!

#30 11 years ago

I honestly think every historical landmark list should have Humpty Dumpty on it. Otherwise, we would all be just shooting the ball and watching it bounce around.

#31 11 years ago

Good point!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

I think we are all overlooking "Raven" on these lists, come on . . . .

maybe not a historical game (though it MIGHT have been a first for it's 'sniper' pop up drop targets, later used in cactus canyon), but does show, even modestly, jumps in prices/popularity. probably helps that there a folks putting out custom back glasses as well
though i haven't played it, i've heard it's one of the better gottliebs of the time, which would fit the criteria of standing above competitors.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

There is absolutely nothing stunning or revolutionary about AC/DC.

On paper, sure. Nothing stunning or revolutionary. But after you play it enough, you realize just how complete a package it is. Theme, layout and rules are all perfect. If you don't get this yet, you haven't played one enough. No other recent game has nailed those three things as well as AC/DC does.

Quoted from wayout440:

And El Dorado? It's rated at 19 out of EMs on IPDB top 300 list and had a measely production number under 3000. It's ranked 18th on pinsides EM list. There's not a single 'historical' reason that should this pin should even be considered at all.

How old are you? I suspect you aren't old enough to have been around when El Dorado was new. Because if you had been around, you'd know that El Dorado (and all it's offspring) kicked ass on location. I was around and it was by far the most popular pin of it's day.

Agree 100% SR. Hope it isn't years, but the bar has been reset pretty friggin high.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

On paper, sure. Nothing stunning or revolutionary. But after you play it enough, you realize just how complete a package it is. Theme, layout and rules are all perfect. If you don't get this yet, you haven't played one enough. No other recent game has nailed those three things as well as AC/DC does.

How old are you? I suspect you aren't old enough to have been around when El Dorado was new. Because if you had been around, you'd know that El Dorado (and all it's offspring) kicked ass on location. I was around and it was by far the most popular pin of it's day.
Agree 100% SR. Hope it isn't years, but the bar has been reset pretty friggin high.

I'm 47. You didn't even put Eight Ball on your list. Until recently, this machine held the all-time production record for flipper pinball machines--20,230 were built. It was pushed to second place a couple of years ago by The Addams Family. I am just not seeing any real facts to push El Dorado into any 'historical' equation other than the fact that you seem to have a hard on for this pin.

If we are going to say the criteria is "kick ass" on location according to personal experience... then we need to put Pinbot on the list too according to your weak criteria. In the eighties Pinbot was everywhere I played and kicked ass on location so maybe that should be on the top historical five.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from GWalton:

I honestly think every historical landmark list should have Humpty Dumpty on it. Otherwise, we would all be just shooting the ball and watching it bounce around.

True, very true!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I didn't number my list. I just said these titles should be included, due to overwhelming popularity, price, ratings or production figures. Some documentable substance to call it 'historical'

All I see here is an unsubstantiated personal favorites list from the poster.

#37 11 years ago

And Superorbit has the layout of Outerspace. But with El Dorado 5 machines (that I can remember) used this layout. Not 1 or 2. This 5-time reuse is a direct result of the layout excellence.

Quoted from LEE:

I personally have no love for AC/DC, and do not see it being one of the all time greats.
Cannot figure what you qualifications for the list are.
Stating that ElDorado was a popular theme because of re-themes, I will point out that Gottlieb was notorious for re-hashing playfield designs under new themes and not all are classics.
Fast Draw/Quick Draw morphed into Amazon Hunt!

#38 11 years ago

As long as the list conveys to the people looking at it the message that I think these are stand-out games in the annals of pinball history (whether the viewer agrees that they are stand-out games or not) it has done it's job. Using your list and stating that AC/DC should be added to it would also accomplish the goal of sending a message that AC/DC is/will-be an all-time stand-out. That's all the list I made is for.

Quoted from wayout440:

I didn't number my list. I just said these titles should be included, due to overwhelming popularity, price, ratings or production figures. Some documentable substance to call it 'historical'

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

He included 5 pins on his list as examples of high water marks. You seem to be arguing the thoroughness of his list when that wasn't the intention of the thread.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

He included 5 pins on his list as examples of high water marks. You seem to be arguing the thoroughness of his list when that wasn't the intention of the thread.

No, actually my first post argued that AC/DC has no particular merit to be considered 'historical'. I was just demonstrating why the list proposed was not a very good one to use as a benchmark. My 5 list historical pins would likely be different as others (some of those folks listed games described above) and I would not include AC/DC in the list - not because I don't like it, I really do. - but because there is no factual data to support it.

#41 11 years ago

acdc rocks!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I wonder when Stern's ac/dc licensing expires?

I remember hearing on this site from some of the big "insiders" when the game was released that Stern envisioned running AC/DC for a longer period of time then many of their other machines. Not sure what that meant, but it is conceivable that they secured the license for long term (it may expire only when no new machines are made in X number of months/years).

AC/DC has to be easier to deal with Disney and the like, so I am guessing Stern did okay with the license terms. Great game by the way; I know I want one.

#43 11 years ago

I'm thinking with all the games being pumped into the market that it will keep the resale prices down. I'm looking forward to buying one some time down the road, just not at NIB or inflated resale prices.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Stating it is up there with a sample list (if you don't like the list, make your own great list

I made a list and acdc was not on it. Sorry.

#45 11 years ago

AC/DC great pin, historical?? ehh not too sure about that.
There older Bon Scott music much better, High Voltage, Powerage etc. The best rock n roll - timeless

2 weeks later
#46 11 years ago

I bet we are getting to best sales since (fill in stern game). Could ac/dc reach 20k sales worldwide? I mean at this point it sounds like half that is doable. At 10k units sold I would think that would be a milestone for post Williams pinball. And if it gets to 20k units well then Katie bar the door because pinball has come back.

#47 11 years ago

Centaur to me is notable since it broke free of the EM-style of artwork, etc of machines. Voice samples, crazy sounds, multiball. It was ahead of its time. As for the opposite, look at Bounty Hunter. I felt like I was playing a 70s-era SS game, yet it was made 5 years after Centaur.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from welder74:

There older Bon Scott music much better, High Voltage, Powerage etc.

..............Let there be Rock.... Agreed.

1 month later
#49 10 years ago

You only need one argument for AC/DC to have a place in history:

"First Premium Version"

So...yeah. There you go.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I bet we are getting to best sales since (fill in stern game). Could ac/dc reach 20k sales worldwide? I mean at this point it sounds like half that is doable. At 10k units sold I would think that would be a milestone for post Williams pinball. And if it gets to 20k units well then Katie bar the door because pinball has come back.

I sure hope they hit 20K. Because that's the only way I'll ever be able to afford one on the resale market. Keep buying NIB rich people!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 29.95
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
16,500 (Firm)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/historical-spikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.