Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_shot_2013-09-23_at_10.14.59_AM..png
    uk_thumbs_up.jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I had posted an ad on Mr. Pinball a few weeks back saying I was looking to buy an Addams Family and have been contacted by a joke of an email scammer that is either too stupid to realize I'm goofing on him, or legitimately enjoys being made fun of. Emails are as follows:

------------------
    Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 00:44:01 +0100
    Subject: Addams Family, 1992 Bally:

Good Day

My name is Thomas David, I have the item you are looking for, still in excellent working condition, let me know if you are still interested so i will E-mail you with the picture and send you more information. you don't need to worry over shipping , i have worked with DHL, so shipping cost to your doorstep will be very fair where are you located and how much are you willing to spend. E-mail me so we can discuss better..

Best regards.
    Thomas David

---------------------
    Sent: Fri 3/29/13 11:08 PM

Hi Thomas,

Yeah still looking for one, if you have any shots of the cabinet and playfield, send em this way!

I'm near Los Angeles and would prefer something close to there - looking to spend around $4500, am flexible depending on condition.

CapnARRR

---------------------
    Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 07:35:30 +0100
    Subject: Re: Addams Family, 1992 Bally:

Good Day CapnARRR,

How are you doing today? In regards to your email i just read now, i need you to see the attachments of The " Addams Family, 1992 Bally" in good condition, and I need you to please send me an email if you agree with the picture...And the price including shipment is $4,190.00 USD = £2,755.67 GBP...

The location of the item is United Kingdom...

Awaiting your response so that we can proceed.
    With best wishes

Thomas David

Attached Pictures:
    http://thesnort.com/extras/scammer/scam0301.jpg
    http://thesnort.com/extras/scammer/scam0302.jpg
    http://thesnort.com/extras/scammer/scam0303.jpg

---------------------
    Sent: Sat 3/30/13 8:09 AM

Hi "Thomas,"

Little too good to be true. Try again, robot.

http://www.treasure-cove.net/Addams.htm

Next time, english a bit better.

---------------------
    Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 00:25:51 +0100

Hello

How are you doing? The machine is in good condition, so sorry for the late reply okay.....Do you still need the item...

Regards
    Thomas David.

---------------------
    Sent: Mon 4/01/13 4:55 PM

Sure thing, just send me your Nigerian bank account number and I'll transfer the funds across. Give my regards to Goodluck Jonathan and Namadi Sambo.

--CapnARRR

---------------------
    Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 01:46:26 +0100

Hello my dear I'm not from Nigerian okay I'm from UK So if you still want to get your goods i have your item okay..

---------------------
    Sent: Mon 4/01/13 5:52 PM

Haha this is hilarious...

Ok, send me some non stock photos of the machine that contain a piece of paper with your name, email address, the british flag and you giving the thumbs up.

--CapnARRR

---------------------
    Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:24:48 +0100

Good day CapnARRR,

In regard of your mail, your is in good condition, and i want you to understand that... I know is very had to trust someone that you have meet before but i want you to work with me and your item will get to you as soon as possible... attach to the this mail is my name, E-mail address writing on your item..

Awaiting your response
    Regards
    Thomas.

Attachment: http://thesnort.com/extras/scammer/scam0304.jpg

---------------------
    Sent: Wed 4/03/13 9:46 AM

Oh wow. I'm so sorry I doubted you! That picture is great! I especially like how you took the time to drag it out in the exact same position in the middle of your driveway at the same time of day and perfectly positioned the totally real piece of paper with your name on it against the translite. Also, dropping the jpeg quality to 0 to avoid any confusion about its legitimacy was a nice touch!

Here is a picture of the cash I have ready to go for you. Please give me your completely valid UK bank account routing number so that I can transfer the funds into it for you.

Love,

CapnARRR

Attachment: http://thesnort.com/extras/scammer/scam0305.jpg

---------------------

More to come as he continues...

#2 11 years ago

He he I love his Photoshop job! I got a similar email but didn't play along.

#3 11 years ago

Dude that f'n hysterical. I love the picture!!! Nicely done sir

#4 11 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ask him if the Flux Capacitor is working properly on the 1988 board.

#5 11 years ago

hilarious totally real money

#6 11 years ago

Very well done. 2 thumbs up! I too enjoy messing with scammers.

#7 11 years ago

They always have two first names, and usually say "God Bless" a lot. We all know the scammer stories, so focus your attention on getting Thomas David to send you a check. I have a wall full.

#8 11 years ago

Classic. I wonder how long you can keep this exchange alive. "Hello my dear I'm not from Nigerian"

#9 11 years ago

Date: Wed 4/03/13 10:01 AM

Hello what are you trying to tell me Mr CapnARRR..

---------------
    Sent: Wed 4/03/13 11:15 AM

I'm trying to tell you I think you have a definite career in stop motion animation. This is rather impressive!

Why are you wasting your time selling pinball machines when your real calling is out there? Send some sample work of yours to Tim Burton and see what he says! Follow your dreams!

--CapnARRR

Attachment: http://thesnort.com/extras/scammer/scam0306.gif

#10 11 years ago

This is awesome. Much better than me saying "Nice try jackass" to someone before!

#11 11 years ago

Funny stuff, I wish I had the free time to do this.

#12 11 years ago

One of the funniest threads I've read in a while.. keep it going!

BSL

#13 11 years ago

Very entertaining.

#14 11 years ago

I die laughing.

#16 11 years ago

lolll, love it, nicely done. keep us posted.

#17 11 years ago

The item looks in perfect order to me.

#18 11 years ago

Kudos! You are doing what the rest of us wish we would do.

#19 11 years ago

E-mail him back, and ask him for his address. Tell you have a friend in the UK at the moment and he'll come round and give the cash in person and see the machine.

I'm six foot and seventeen stone, I'd love to visit him.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Muppet_Man:

E-mail him back, and ask him for his address. Tell you have a friend in the UK at the moment and he'll come round and give the cash in person and see the machine.
    I'm six foot and seventeen stone, I'd love to visit him.

thats a good idea!

#21 11 years ago

Give me a thumbs up in front of the British Flag

#22 11 years ago

The cash pic made me laugh out loud...nice work

#23 11 years ago

Great! Thanks for sharing!!

#24 11 years ago

I love how they always say "Item" and the English being just a bit off consistently "...do you want you item?" "I am ready to send you item...", "Please do the needful..."

#25 11 years ago

This is great haha -- look forward to continued correspondence

#26 11 years ago

I got an email from the same guy on a champion pub pics right off of ipdb. I also had someone try to scam me on a twilight zone the same week. Just looking for some real pins right now.

#27 11 years ago

If he were more familiar with our culture, his name would be Dave Thomas. Who wouldn't trust THAT name?

#28 11 years ago

roflmao

The picture of the cash is the best. Well played.

#29 11 years ago

It's pretty funny, glad you guys like it.

No response from him yet, though he sometimes waits a day or two in between exchanges. I was shocked he kept going after the 3rd email, honestly...

#30 11 years ago

Get a picture of the seller with a loaf of bread on his head and a raw fish in his hands. Loving this! Keep this up and submit your story to 419eater.com

#31 11 years ago

The totally real money pic is classic! Nice post!

#34 11 years ago

This is great stuff CapnARRR. I love the idea of having a local "drop by" to check it out.

#35 11 years ago

I don't see the problem.
    Seems like a great deal.
    If you are not going to finish the deal, do you mind if I contact him?

#36 11 years ago

He very much be happily to be working wonderful deal with you.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I don't see the problem.
    Seems like a great deal.
    If you are not going to finish the deal, do you mind if I contact him?

All yours, buddy! I think you know how to reach him. If I ever hear back, I'll ask him where he's located and maybe a fellow Pinsider can stop by and check it out.

#38 11 years ago

Just once I would like to see Pinheads unite against these scammerscum. Lets all use our spam email address and contact him asking to buy it. Imagine hundreds of emails flooding in.... we could start a bidding war and see how high this turdswirler is willing to take it.

#39 11 years ago

I once talked one if these scammers in circles. It stared with he was buying my machine and by the time we were done, I was sending him a check for his machine and I would arrange shipping and I needed a refund because the check was cut wrong...he was happy to oblige.

#40 11 years ago

wow, this is incredible.

#41 11 years ago

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

#42 11 years ago

Check out 419eater it's a site for scam baiting where they make the scammers do a bunch of things some of them are hilarious

#43 11 years ago

So, among other things, I'm a nerd. As such, many years ago, I used to play World of Warcraft. At that time (and perhaps still) there was an annoying phenomenon called, "Chinese Gold Farmers", who were exactly what they sounded like. They would spam the chat areas with offers to sell very specific items for costs they continually inflated.

How transactions worked was you would send an email type thing to the character in question with an item in trade for a certain price. You could offer to sell or buy with this system, and they could accept or decline.

Now, I can't remember exactly what item it was but, fed up with this obnoxious behavior I decided to try and scam them back, so, I posed as an idiot new kid offering WAY too much gold for whatever it was. I sent the Chinese Farmer in question the offer, he greedily and instantly accepted. The thing is, the way that email system worked, both ways that is, it was very hard to tell whether something was being bought or sold. Instead of sending a buy offer for Mundane Nerd Item Alpha at 100 gold, I checked the COD box and sent him a sell offer for the exact same thing which I already had.

Being Chinese and having only very rudimentary English skills, he received what looked for the world like a message from an idiot being scammed, clicked "Accept", and instead sent me 100 gold for a worthless piece of shit flower or whatever. At the time, that was a huge landfall of fake money. I sent, "Thanks for deal!", and was met with lots of broken English threats, "Me report! You owe me 100g. Me report!"

Ha. Minor triumph to be sure, still pretty fun.

Stakes are a little higher here, but whenever I see these low life a-holes I always think to myself, "Me report! Me report!"

#44 11 years ago

Keep up the great work, Capn!

#45 11 years ago

"i want you to understand that... I know is very had to trust someone that you have meet before"

Very had indeed! Por fuker.

#46 11 years ago

Holy shit, I think I just pissed myself. Pure comic gold.

#47 11 years ago

Damn Cap'n you had that guy eating out of the palm of your hand.... Well done!

#48 11 years ago

I take it that TAF still available then? I really want a CQ one.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

So, among other things, I'm nerd. As such, many years ago, I used to play World of Warcraft. At that time (and perhaps still) there was an annoying phenomenon called, "Chinese Gold Farmers",

Chinese Gold Farmer! ha!

Haven't heard that term in years....

-recovering WoW addict.

#50 11 years ago

Hilarious!

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hilarious-mr-pinball-scammer-thomas-david and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.