(Topic ID: 69635)

Highlights of Steve Richies Speech in Houston.

By Arcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

italian.jpg
Unknown-3.jpeg
qlx7451.jpg
image.jpg
Braddock.jpg
images.jpeg
image.jpg
th_uncle_fester.jpg
make-it-rain.jpg
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Or ones that blow.

You break 1 billion on ACDC yet?

Haha blow me!

Wait...you break 350+ song JP? How about encore

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Haha blow me!
Wait...you break 350+ song JP? How about encore

DAMN YOU!

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You're right.
Hope I didn't offend any WOF owners
Lol

Please. WOF as it stands today has better/deeper rules than XMen ever will (apparently). And the playfield is more interesting too, imo.

#54 10 years ago

Thanks for posting this here. Appreciated.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Please. WOF as it stands today has better/deeper rules than XMen ever will (apparently). And the playfield is more interesting too, imo.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Nonsense, total nonsense.

Is disappointing SR mentioned update was doubtful I hope this will not be the case.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Is disappointing SR mentioned update was doubtful I hope this will not be the case.

It doesn't jive with what Borg has said in the past, but it DOES make sense. Code is in development hell right now. That's too bad. I had hope with the new hires that Stern has made, that they were getting their coding-house in order. Maybe not.

-Wes

#58 10 years ago

i don't own xmen and i really feel bad for those who have one.

another nail for stern into their coffin!

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i don't own xmen and i really feel bad for those who have one.
!

Don't feel too bad. Xmen is still awesome and addicting! It just won't have that final polish it needs and deserves.

#60 10 years ago

Another orphaned game isn't that big a deal. I'm expecting quite a few more of them, but this will probably be the last one they talk about. I'm pretty sure Gary would have rung up Steve's phone to explain things right after that. Pinball nerds are less angry without actually knowing the game they bought has been deprecated.

#61 10 years ago

Moved to Stern pinball sub forum. Thanks for the summary of the presentation; was a good. I sure wish I didn't ask him that XMen question though! Ha!

#62 10 years ago

Time to post some photos of what was at the show.
I meant to post these in the Houston pinball show thread, but oh well, enjoy them here anyway.

IMG_0340.JPGIMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0341.JPGIMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0342.JPGIMG_0342.JPG

#63 10 years ago

Very cool CFTBL with LED creature, color DMD and LED speaker panel that is just amazing.

IMG_0344.JPGIMG_0344.JPG IMG_0343.JPGIMG_0343.JPG IMG_0345.JPGIMG_0345.JPG
#64 10 years ago

Marco booth with the new Star Trek. My son Preston, got to the first Wizard mode and beat it.
Over 500 million points and Grand champion. Then had time later to fill in some more top scores.
The game was purchased at the show late Saturday night.

IMG_0352.JPGIMG_0352.JPG IMG_0354.JPGIMG_0354.JPG
#65 10 years ago

Dirty Donny had a nice little booth as well. Here is some of the art.
The original black line drawings were priced at $300.

IMG_0357.JPGIMG_0357.JPG IMG_0356.JPGIMG_0356.JPG IMG_0358.JPGIMG_0358.JPG
#66 10 years ago

This was the tourney area.
Was hoping for Star Trek. Instead got Metallica

IMG_0359.JPGIMG_0359.JPG
#67 10 years ago

More great machines at the show.

IMG_0360.JPGIMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.JPGIMG_0362.JPG
#68 10 years ago

Nice KISS with reproduction playfiled.

IMG_0363.JPGIMG_0363.JPG IMG_0364.JPGIMG_0364.JPG
#69 10 years ago

The surprise hit of the show for me was this Williams Fire.
Never played one before and it looks awesome. Very 3D for its time with nice sound effects and some interesting game play.

IMG_0371.JPGIMG_0371.JPG
#70 10 years ago

Hercules. A staple and any Houston or Dallas pin show.
Heard it almost did not make it this year.
This one plays fantastic. Very strong flippers.

IMG_0375.JPGIMG_0375.JPG
#71 10 years ago

More random machines.

IMG_0370.JPGIMG_0370.JPG IMG_0367.JPGIMG_0367.JPG IMG_0365.JPGIMG_0365.JPG
#72 10 years ago

And more.

IMG_0369.JPGIMG_0369.JPG IMG_0351.JPGIMG_0351.JPG IMG_0348.JPGIMG_0348.JPG
#73 10 years ago

Last two.

IMG_0346.JPGIMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPGIMG_0347.JPG
#74 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Very disappointed to hear XMEN code might never get updated. Very disappointed.

What's a little scary about this is that as early purchasers, we're sharing the software development risk. If they have staffing problems or other team difficulties, Stern should transfer it to another team and have it completed. The fact they haven't and are willing to essentially walk from the title means buying ANY new Stern is quite literally a crap shoot. So chalk up X-Men as a misfire.... wow. If I were a X-Men owner, I'd feel flat out betrayed.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

What's a little scary about this is that as early purchasers, we're sharing the software development risk. If they have staffing problems or other team difficulties, Stern should transfer it to another team and have it completed. The fact they haven't and are willing to essentially walk from the title means buying ANY new Stern is quite literally a crap shoot. So chalk up X-Men as a misfire.... wow. If I were a X-Men owner, I'd feel flat out betrayed.

That's how I feel. And as such no more of my $ to Stern.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

+1 to that! Although I am getting a STLE it will be my last Stern as now there is FINALLY competition!

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

+1 to that! Although I am getting a STLE it will be my last Stern as now there is FINALLY competition!

I'm with you guys, unfortunately I'm not as strong. Stern has me on the fish hook of addiction in this hobby. That said, after I get 3 pins back in my lineup, I'm gonna 'try' to take 2014 off from buying nib. When my distributor hits me up on the next title (and those afterwards) I'll tell him I'm not interested until xmen gets an update. It's the distributors now that have to hear this from us, not stern. Hope my will is strong. Time will tell; need JJP to start producing games faster...and not the same kiddie one over and over!

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

so no big news here we all knew it was going to be lights flashing/wondering around.
pretty simple mod.
pro seems to be the way to go and best bang for the buck.

Premium is best bang for buck.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

8. Not really news, but new displays are coming soon. If not on the next game then by the one after that.

Kinda glossed over this one.....did he mean an LCD?

#80 10 years ago

very sad. Guess that solidifes that I will not be buying the John T. pin no matter how cool it looks/plays.

Stern confirming that they do not care about code means you can't really trust them to finish anything.
No way I would want to drop big $$$$ on a game that never gets finished.
What a joke.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Kinda glossed over this one.....did he mean an LCD?

Yes

#82 10 years ago

I've said it before, Stern needs someone to come in and straighten things out technology wise.

#83 10 years ago

I nominate the Wolf. He solves problems

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've said it before, Stern needs someone to come in and straighten things out technology wise.

This is what I do for a living. I go in and fix these types of issues with software development teams. From 2 developer teams to 100 developer teams. The biggest issue that I see, consistently, is that the management team just doesn't understand software, or software developers. They don't give them the tools or structure or schedule they need to be successful, and they don't know how to measure success or failure during the development process. Stern has to invest some time and effort here, and until they do, the customer is going to continue to be disappointed.

-Wes

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

This is what I do for a living. I go in and fix these types of issues with software development teams. From 2 developer teams to 100 developer teams. The biggest issue that I see, consistently, is that the management team just doesn't understand software, or software developers. They don't give them the tools or structure or schedule they need to be successful, and they don't know how to measure success or failure during the development process. Stern has to invest some time and effort here, and until they do, the customer is going to continue to be disappointed.
-Wes

Couldnt agree more with mgmt not understanding software development/developers. Another common mistake i see is "throw some more bodies at it" mentality. Not all software developers are interchangeable. Often throwing new developers at a project will slow it down, because the existing people have to take time out and train or answer questions from the new ones coming in cold.

Im not saying stern has these problems. I have no way to know. But i see this problem a lot.

#86 10 years ago

Great post, and mostly all great news!

#87 10 years ago

Software has always been the biggest problem with electronic pinball.

Could be TOTAN or Kings of Steel; tons of unfinished games out there.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Stern has to invest some time and effort here, and until they do, the customer is going to continue to be disappointed.

Let's not paint with too broad of a brush here.

I'm very far from disappointed with the rules/code on AC/DC and Tron LE.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Let's not paint with too broad of a brush here.
I'm very far from disappointed with the rules/code on AC/DC and TRON LE.

I was 2 shots away from Portal last night. Damn you Tron!

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm very far from disappointed with the rules/code on AC/DC and TRON LE.

Sure, now. These guys both shipped with very basic rulesets, and took several revisions over several months(years) to fix. Stern has conditioned us to think it's ok to wait that long for polished code, but in reality, we should be expecting complete code shipped WITH the game, and the polish to come soon afterwards, worst case scenario.

For the record, JJP is also following this model too, it's not JUST a Stern problem.

-Wes

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Sure, now. These guys both shipped with very basic rulesets, and took several revisions over several months(years) to fix. Stern has conditioned us to think it's ok to wait that long for polished code, but in reality, we should be expecting complete code shipped WITH the game, and the polish to come soon afterwards, worst case scenario.
For the record, JJP is also following this model too, it's not JUST a Stern problem.
-Wes

easy fix. STOP BUYING THE GAMES. No one seems to do this. They just buy them and then jump on line to complain about it.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

easy fix. STOP BUYING THE GAMES. No one seems to do this. They just buy them and then jump on line to complain about it.

Stern is losing customers for sure. There's a lot of folks that HAVE stopped doing that. That said, is it enough for them to feel the impact, or care enough to address the code issue? *shrug* who knows?

-Wes

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

-Wes

Right.

It would be great to have pins shipped with finished code.

It would also be great if I had a money tree in my backyard.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Premium is best bang for buck.

Haha, no. There is *never* $2000 worth of additional BOM in the Premium. Maybe $200. I mean, buy away, it might be the better version of the game, but as far as bang for your buck it's just never going to be true.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Right.
It would be great to have pins shipped with finished code.
It would also be great if I had a money tree in my backyard.

I really hate to hold up JJP as a shining model of what people should do, because what happens with Jack is so often ridiculous. BUT that said ...

If Stern had a rep in the forums who was honest about what was coming, even had the actual developer (Keefer!) responding to people, providing occasional updates, and even responding to suggestions, and then on top of that was releasing solid code updates once a month or so ... that would basically eliminate the issue for me personally. I'd buy with confidence, even if out of the box still needed a little work. Of all the issues with WOZ, the code getting completed just isn't one of them IMHO.

None of that is perfect, but a little communication goes a long way. Instead we get this "Lyman will come through!" stuff. And yeah, he probably will. When and how who knows. And can you say that about any other coder? We need more than that, it's just too much money to toss into such a gamble.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Haha, no. There is *never* $2000 worth of additional BOM in the Premium. Maybe $200. I mean, buy away, it might be the better version of the game, but as far as bang for your buck it's just never going to be true.

Perhaps you should stick to alternative translites......

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Software has always been the biggest problem with electronic pinball.
Could be TOTAN or Kings of Steel; tons of unfinished games out there.

Yup. Back in the EM days.....rules were finished and locked in!

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Perhaps you should stick to alternative translites......

Or maybe I should just sell them for an extra $2000 to people like you. I'll add some glitter.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Or maybe I should just sell them for an extra $2000 to people like you. I'll add some glitter.

Nah.....your translite doesn't crash into playfield......

#100 10 years ago

The code news really stinks. Stern really needs to step it up in the code department and commit to finishing games and listening to players feedback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/highlights-of-steve-richies-speach-in-houston/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.