Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpeg
    cheaptrickkiss1977.png
    BunECarlosinPauls.jpg
    chris.gif
    Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gif
    herc-3.jpg
    woz3.jpg
    woz2.jpg
    woz1.jpg
    jolly-park-2.jpg
    jolly-park.jpg
    verns-world-2.jpg
    verns-world-3.jpg
    verns-world.jpg
    time-fantasy-2.jpg
    time-fantasy.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Lots of great machines at the show this year.

I'm just pointing out some of the more rare ones. I don't want to slight anyone, but everyone already has a TAF, AFM and a Shadow, so you most likely want to see what you don't have...

#2 11 years ago

The "greeter" at the door was Hercules.

This game had a faster ball in it, rather than a cue ball. Everything seemed to be working and it was in great shape.

People always cry that the game plays "slow", but not every game is F14. It is fun, if you have the room.

Yeah, it's big:

hurcules.jpghurcules.jpg hurclues-2.jpghurclues-2.jpg herc-3.jpgherc-3.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Here was a great Centaur.

Not a super rare game, but this one had a perfect playfield, LEDs and backglass.

It was actually turned up loud enough to hear the audio (most people forget to turn up their game volume when they bring it to a show, so it effectively has no audio at all).

centura.jpgcentura.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Here we have living proof that confident, hot women are not threatened by pinball artwork that depicts hot women.

lost-world.jpglost-world.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Here is a perfectly restored Williams Star Light.

Game played great.

LEDs were tastefully done, totally complementing the theme.

How often do you get to play one of these?

star-light.jpgstar-light.jpg starlight2.jpgstarlight2.jpg

#6 11 years ago

I don't know how many of you are mushroom fans now that you are out of your teens, but wow, this game has some trippy art.

Snails and Mushrooms, how can you beat that? Probably the furthest game from the usual super hero theme.

Perfectly restored and again with tastefully applied LEDs.

I've never seen a better one, ever.

time-fantasy.jpgtime-fantasy.jpg time-fantasy-2.jpgtime-fantasy-2.jpg

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Here we have living proof that confident, hot women are not threatened by pinball artwork that depicts hot women.

Pretty sure that girl looked 15!! Saw her floating around Friday.. I could be wrong. My apologies if I am.

#8 11 years ago

Here is a really nice Vern's World.

You don't see too many Spinball brand games here in the States.

Fun game, but I had no idea what the rules were.

verns-world.jpgverns-world.jpg verns-world-3.jpgverns-world-3.jpg verns-world-2.jpgverns-world-2.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Another Spinball and thus not often seen here in the States is Jolly Park.

Kind of like a Spanish version of Comet.

This game was very cool and had a fast, 4 ball multiball.

jolly-park.jpgjolly-park.jpg jolly-park-2.jpgjolly-park-2.jpg

#10 11 years ago

By far the prettiest game at the show (second place went to that totally cherry Time Fantasy).

Both WOZ games displayed played slow. But that is not a negative at all, again not every game needs to be AC/DC or F14. For a family theme like WOO, that is designed to restore interest in pinball; a slower, no guessing what you have to complete next style game, the pace is probably perfect.

Sound was loud but VERY distorted. The witch voice and the "zing" of the chimes/xylophone was particularly grating to our ears with distortion.

Playfield lights were distractingly bright. I'm sure they will be dimmed down in the software in the future.

Flippers were still weak. I asked if they could be turned up and was told they were all the way up. Assuming that is true, stronger coils or a larger power supply is probably going to have to be substituted for production games. By comparison, the Tron right around the corner had about 50% more jism even though it was pitched a few degrees steeper.

Even though it is a long way from a finished product, every time I play a new version of WOZ, I can see definite progress being made.

To all those WOZ naysayers: it looks like this game will be nice when it comes out.

woz1.jpgwoz1.jpg woz2.jpgwoz2.jpg woz3.jpgwoz3.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Like I said, there were lots of great games.

Some had an overdose of too bright LEDs, like the blinding BOP, but then right next to it was a totally balanced LEDed Pinbot that looked amazing. I'm sure as years go by the better looking games will lead by example.

Some games had weak flippers, but more so than in past years, most flippers were very good (nice job guys).

Toilet floors were flooded with piss (at least the Men's was, I did not check the Women's).

Vendor's were good with lots of stuff. Big discounts from Rottendog, nice discounts from Cointaker and Pinball Inc (the ramp guy).

Be careful, some vendors were selling for more than web prices. There were Ablaze LEDs for .50 cents that you could buy any day of the week for .27 cents. Keep your eyes open, and don't assume that everything is cheaper because you are at a show.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from corvair61:

Pretty sure that girl looked 15!! Saw her floating around Friday.. I could be wrong. My apologies if I am.

Eh, the older you get, the younger they look.

Age of consent is 16 in Ohio.

#13 11 years ago

Good thread!

That Centaur was one of the most striking-looking games I've ever seen, and the LEDs were beautifully done (and just the right level of intense.) If anyone heard someone standing in front of Centaur saying "My god, that's a f***ing stunning-looking game" that was probably me.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

If anyone heard someone standing in front of Centaur saying "My god, that's a f***ing stunning-looking game" that was probably me.

You weren't the only one!

#15 11 years ago

The game that most surprised me with its enjoyability was Freddy - I kinda want to buy one now.

I also enjoyed BSD, but would've enjoyed it more if my girlfriend hadn't beaten me like a redheaded stepchild every time we played.

Attack from Mars was a personal favorite for one of my buddies who game with us; I only really looked at one of the two that was there Saturday, the restored one that was $10.5k... very impressive game.

#16 11 years ago

My top 5 to play there:
    WOZ
    Attack from Mars
    Joust
    Freddy
    BSD

...wish I'd spent more time on CFTBL. I didn't do very well at it; didn't even get the hologram to flash, as far as I could tell.

#17 11 years ago

And my girlfriend's top few:
    BSD
    Joust
    Starlight
    Torpedo Alley
    Freddy
    WOZ

#18 11 years ago

I tried three of the bottom of the title list. Popeye, Flintstones and Waterworld. I actually enjoyed The Flintstones, Popeye came in second and I had to resist not walking away from Waterworld after the second ball. I think it was worse that the movie.

#19 11 years ago

I will not be going back until they do something about the bathroom situation.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I will not be going back until they do something about the bathroom situation.

I guess they could hire a bathroom monitor like in middle school. He could make sure the pinheads are properly directing their urine.

It's not like things were overflowing, it's just that many pinheads are animals.

#21 11 years ago

Yeah - It was a really great show this year! Best one in a long time - better than Chicago last year. A lot of great games!! And yes, the bathrooms were exactly as you remember them... I'm safe at home 4 hours away and the smell is still following me. Next year I think I'll just hold it....

#22 11 years ago

Mike told me as I was dragging in my 2nd shadow that he almost ran out of room for games. Great show this year!

#23 11 years ago

Thanks Vid1900-great follow up-I liked that Centaur-looks awesome next to Fathom and Medusa probably one of the coolest backglasses and playfeilds. Interesting take on WOZ. I have been waiting to play one. It does look like it would play kinda slow-with animations and all the ramp targets. If it is too slow-it will drive me nuts. Looks like fun time-with good people-Thanks for this thread.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Attack from Mars was a personal favorite for one of my buddies who game with us; I only really looked at one of the two that was there Saturday, the restored one that was $10.5k... very impressive game.

Thanks.

I did not expect to come home with out it.

And I did not expect to bring home my Space Invaders.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from corvair61:

She was drinking a "cold one"...that's ID enough for me. How do you think the judge would like the sound of that?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

Thanks.
    I did not expect to come home with out it.
    And I did not expect to bring home my Space Invaders.

The Space Invaders did look nice. I'm sure there is a buyer out there for it.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I guess they could hire a bathroom monitor like in middle school. He could make sure the pinheads are properly directing their urine.
    It's not like things were overflowing, it's just that many pinheads are animals.

That is so foul on every single level.

"Well it's not at my house so I DGAF where my pee goes..."

#28 11 years ago

Special thanks to Phoebe, she always brings in fantastic games. Barracora is a beauty and that Star Light was great fun!

The booby award goes to the folks who brought working games for sale but would not put them on free play and scold you if you tried to play them. They should not be invited back.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

That is so foul on every single level.
    "Well it's not at my house so I DGAF where my pee goes..."

Makes you want to invite everyone over for a pinball party. :0

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

She was drinking a "cold one"...that's ID enough for me. How do you think the judge would like the sound of that?

They have a liquor license and sell beer at this show? That might explain the state of the bathrooms.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

They have a liquor license and sell beer at this show? That might explain the state of the bathrooms.

Nah,The place smells like a mixture of urine and industrial cleaner from the git go.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Special thanks to Phoebe, she always brings in fantastic games. Barracora is a beauty and that Star Light was great fun!
    The booby award goes to the folks who brought working games for sale but would not put them on free play and scold you if you tried to play them. They should not be invited back.

They were there last year and had the same setup. Same pins maybe!!! lol

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Here was a great Centaur.
    Not a super rare game, but this one had a perfect playfield, LEDs and backglass.
    It was actually turned up loud enough to hear the audio (most people forget to turn up their game volume when they bring it to a show, so it effectively has no audio at all).

Rare! spanish game on the right, I want it!

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Here is a really nice Vern's World.
    You don't see too many Spinball brand games here in the States.
    Fun game, but I had no idea what the rules were.

I want it maaaan.
    I know a record shop that it'd look great in!
    Deep Search Records in Jax FL

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This came up last year. As much as I don't like it either the guy paid for his space as a vendor.So he has the right to do what he wishes.

#36 11 years ago

Nice! Thanks for all the eye candy! That Time Fantasy looks like a trip!

#37 11 years ago

Vid 1900

Thank you for sharing this info I've never been to a show before.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from MMuller:

Thank you for sharing this info I've never been to a show before.

Pinball shows are a bit of a mixed bag, but it is something you must experience.

The good:

You get to play more than 100+ games for $10-15 a day, all set on freeplay.
    You get to play games that are super rare.
    You get to meet other pinheads
    You get to see nice restorations and LEDed games.
    You can compete for $10,000+ in the tournaments.
    You can see all the vendors and their goods in person.
    you can "try before you buy" many different pinball machines that are for sale.

The Bad:

Probably 80'% of pinheads don't take a shower the weeks before a show.
    Probably 50% of pinheads wear the same sweatpants for an entire month before a show.
    Approximately 10% of a pinhead's urine goes into the toilet, the rest goes on the floor, up the walls, or on the toilet paper rolls.

The lack of hygiene is unique to the pinball world.

I've been to hundreds of Audiophile shows, CES, NAME, Rocketry, Comicons and nothing beats seeing that someone took a dump in the urinal at a pinball show.

#39 11 years ago

How we would like to think the people here on pinside are a "cleaner" bunch..........but doubts arise with some of the childish, immature, dimwit comments made on here sometimes....

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Probably 80'% of pinheads don't take a shower the weeks before a show.
    Probably 50% of pinheads wear the same sweatpants for an entire month before a show.
    Approximately 10% of a pinhead's urine goes into the toilet, the rest goes on the floor, up the walls, or on the toilet paper rolls.

And we wonder why more women are not attracted to this hobby...

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Age of consent is 16 in Ohio.

I knew Ohio was good for something.

#42 11 years ago

In all seriousness though, why ARE pinheads so stinky and unhousebroken?

Comicon people are super geeky too, but they don't have that sharp stink to them.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've been to hundreds of Audiophile shows, CES, NAME, Rocketry, Comicons and nothing beats seeing that someone took a dump in the urinal at a pinball show.

HAHA

Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gifMitt-Romney-Laughing.gif

#44 11 years ago

I bet more females would spell more showering and fewer stained sweatpants. Instead of hiring a bathroom monitor, hire a few models to walk around. That should fix things fast.

Hint from us girls:

Not showering = not attractive (unless you are Daryl from The Walking Dead - which you are not)

Stained sweatpants = never attractive (even if you're Daryl)

#45 11 years ago

Good show and had the chance to play some games I have not seen in a while. The bad: paid full price on Saturday after 3:00 and was getting run over by vendors and games leaving the show. Felt ripped off..... Show ends at 8:00 not 4:00.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

Stained sweatpants = never attractive (even if you're Daryl)

If my math is correct this means: Unstained sweatpants = Occasionally attractive (not sure about the daryl quotient)

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Hey, it comes back to bite you. That beater Addams? He offered us the same amount that it ended up selling for, but we turned him down...

#48 11 years ago

Plenty of cool things to see this year. I was only able to attend Friday evening but I was able to see/play just about everything I wanted to. I've decided that next year I'm going to bring along a game to share.
    Really need some better air circulation in there. Smelled like a cross between a barnyard and a dirty diaper
    Joust was a favorite. Here's a short video of game play between two of my friends. Sorry about the camera angles but I was trying hard to reduce the glare coming off the glass.

#49 11 years ago

Great thread. I'd never heard of Vernes world but now I'm itching to play it

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This. I may have loudly made some rude comments while walking by them to the effect of "What's the point? That's completely out of the spirit of the event."

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/highlights-from-ohio-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.