(Topic ID: 330452)

Highest production cost games of the DMD era?

By Haymaker

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vikingerik
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    30302367021270 (resized).jpeg
    aab967c2be625378702c793869ea8b2ef5a18cb2 (resized).jpg
    fa2bbf47f08535ace8338f7e551ffa93--star-wars-opening-episode-iv (resized).jpg
    PA-1542048 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

LAH (August '93) was a definite nail in the industry coffin, as was the vast quantity of money spaffed away on Python Anghelo's vanity Popeye project (February '94). But the precise tipping point where the whole industry overbalances can be placed between Star Trek TNG at the close of 1993 and World Cup Soccer at the start of '94. It coincidences neatly with both Genesis and SNES owners being able to binge-play SF2 Turbo at home.

PC market was starting to lift off in a big way; I had pretty much abandoned arcades roughly around this time and started building gaming PC's almost yearly.

Doom and the other 3D shooter games had come out and things just went nuts from there. 3dFX interactive came out with the Voodoo Graphics for public sale in 1996 and with the drop in ram prices, PC gaming went vertical in a hurry and would continue to do so for the next 5 years minimum. There was a literal revolution in gaming as the market went from 2D with 16 colors to 3D rendered polygons with 32k colors in a less than a few years.

#52 1 year ago

From what I recall Williams STNG was the most expensive game to manufacture.
    The tooling costs for the new gun designs and the underground subway system to
    the VUK tubings and the Borg unit, all added to costs that far outspends what was
    put into The Addams Family.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Doom and the other 3D shooter games had come out and things just went nuts from there.

December 10th, 1993. Spot on with the point in time I'm talking about as well.

#54 1 year ago

Perhaps *if* Pinball Circus went into production, that may have been a contender...

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

Perhaps *if* Pinball Circus went into production, that may have been a contender...

I doubt it would have stopped or even slowed down anything. You have to go to a physical location to play one and the PC and console market was in full afterburner mode. It is true though that some arcade video titles were going nuts like street fighter? So how much cross traffic there was there is open to debate. William's released some decent titles after 1993 and they just did not seem to get much traction compared to 1993.

People went to arcades because that was where the razzle dazzle was, it was only a matter of time before the increase in computer power eroded that slot. 3dFX Interactive was founded and marketed to the arcade and military markets and once ram prices fell through the floor in 1994-1995 they offered 3d image generators to the public and it was like a bomb thrown into the gaming market.

If you every played the arcade games such as Mace the dark age, NFL Blitz, Arctic Thunder, Hydro Thunder, RUSH you were playing with 3dfx hardware. By 1998 3dfx OWNED outright 78% of the 3d graphics market with the rest sucking wind till 1999-2000 when they started to implode due to feature creep, bad management and frivolous spending habits. Was a remarkable time as a gamer to see this play out in real time going from primitive Wolfenstien 3D with bleeps and bloops to Unreal engine games running at 120 fps in "high resolution" online with stereo.

#56 1 year ago

very interesting thread for a newbie. certainly didn't understand the historical importance of some of these games and the timeframe. Quick question, what is "BOM?"

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

very interesting thread for a newbie. certainly didn't understand the historical importance of some of these games and the timeframe. Quick question, what is "BOM?"

bill of materials, the list of what it takes in parts, goods, and labor to build something.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

There’s a lot of issues with The Pinball Chick blog. She started it recently and only does reviews on digital pinballs, chronically misuses terms and has loads of errors all over, never addressing them. No thorough fact-checking or research done.
    Her website is basically...
    SOURCE: Reddit.
    At least on Pinside we have a lot of folk who were intimately involved in the business who can give us the inside scoop. The women of Pinside usually come armed with sources and data to back up their claims!

I am in agreement that what she says shouldn't be necessarily taken as gospel. Thats why I made this thread so that maybe some of the dudes that have been around for a while, chatted with the guys who were there, attended seminars at old conventions, or just picked up general history over the years might share their stories and insight into these things. When I hear a response thats just like "NOPE IT WAS JUST PINBALL DYING", I'm not taking them seriously. We all know that was a big factor. That doesn't mean other good or bad decisions along the way didn't have significant impact too. Thats what I'm here to discuss and learn about. Also one of my favorite topics is old operator tales. One of my favorite things on TNT when Todd starts talking about how things were when a certain game was new.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A bunch of shit just happened and pinball wasn't that popular.
    When I was in college in the mid 90s, playing TAF, CFTBL, and TOM at the on campus bar/bowling alley, I felt like I was the only person at the entire college who was playing pinball. I never saw anybody else playing these great games, it was just me.
    It was on the way out. Sometimes shit just happens.
    And here we are today! Pinball is still pretty much dead, but it's become this bizarre hobby/industry that we know and love. Weird, ain't it?

Thats a great story, and when I was a kid in that time period nobody I knew gave a crap about PC's or playing games on computers for the most part. Yeah we did play a lot of SNES and Genesis though and the whole "now you can play SF2 and MK at home" makes a lot of sense. Still, the arcade was a special place for some time for everyone I knew for years well into the ps1-n64 era. I guess the point here is personal anecdotes are interesting but still don't necessarily color the entire picture. I am in agreement the rise of consoles and PCs had a lot to do with the fall of the arcade.

Quoted from Bublehead:

Arguing pinball history accuracy is a fools errand. Half this talk is fireside chat material that has been hashed through so many times that the real histories are clouded somewhere between truth and total fiction. I’ve been listening to short and tall tales of pinball history from so many “reliable” sources for so long, a complete and true history of this whole industry is impossible to really nail down. Sitting here arguing over pinball history and what is “gospel” is about as productive as asking two operators about a specific titled game… neither will actually remember exact numbers, but boy howdy they will have an opinion on wether it earned or didn’t, was a decent investment at the time, or if they never wanted to see that dreaded machine ever again. Opinions will be all over the place. Unfortunately unconscious bias flavors every pinball history discussion and everyone is an industry expert in coin op gaming from 1937 to present, or so it always seems. The older I get, the more I just shut up and let the youth and Google fight it out amongst themselves.

Well stated. Thats all this thread is supposed to be about. Campfire stories from the days of yore in pinball past. I'm fully aware the history isn't always (or almost ever) crystal clear. One of the reasons I loved the coast 2 coast pinball podcast was hearing all the old tales. I should revisit that podcast soon!

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Have the BOM numbers on that? No you don't and neither do I.
    They Star Wars license could have easily been fatter stacks of cash than LAH.

Of course we don't, but we can make reasonable assumptions here. No doubt the Star Wars license was fairly expensive, but even with the special editions coming out around that time, it was not the absolute mammoth property it is today. Not to mention Star Wars eagerly whores itself off to just about anyone, the rights can't be THAT insane. DE Star wars also has way way less going on in the game than LAH. So with LAH we have what was probably a way more expensive license getting the movie rights and Arnie rights, then the rights to many of the songs in the movie from several different bands. On top of all that, the game is absolutely loaded with gimmicks. Here's what Stern had to say in a post from 2016:

The machine came factory equipped with an animated topper, shaker motor, under-playfield magnets, 3 scoops, 2 captive balls, a kick-back shot, 5 drop targets, 6 ball mult-balll, a huge interactive crane toy and a 45 caliber pistol shooter mechanism! The machine even featured music from AC/DC (who would go on to get their own game from us many years later), Queensrÿche and Megadeth. How is that for action packed?

Thats wayyy more stuff than Star Wars has in it. I'm not saying Star Wars was cheap, I'm just saying its not unreasonable to guess that LAH was even more expensive and by a significant margin. Lets not forget, it was after the success of Addams that Williams greenlighted Lawlor to go nuts on TZ. With 2 big hits (granted not as big as Addams) just finished up at DE why not go all in on the next game, especially if it was supposed to be a surefire success with everything the movie was supposed to have going for it?

I mean, yeah at the end of the day we're just jawjackin here, but I just don't understand why you're so quick to write all of this stuff off

I know we're all focused on Last Action Hero here but the thing I'm really interested in knowing is more about the Stargate development. Was it really super expensive and what effect did it have on a company that was already in somewhat dire straights vs DE who was on the rise at the time? Perhaps pinballguru would be kind enough to share some insight on the development of that game?

#60 1 year ago

Pinball 2000 was expensive. Different cabinet, a 19" monitor, prism card, PC, special playfield glass, a different driver board plus all the other stuff. It was like designing a pinball machine and a video game at the same time.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Pinball 2000 was expensive. Different cabinet, a 19" monitor, prism card, PC, special playfield glass, a different driver board plus all the other stuff. It was like designing a pinball machine and a video game at the same time.

Absolutely, but I don't consider that DMD era I guess, although I suppose you could argue for it. Certainly a lot of money was dumped into creating an all new platform, especially as a last ditch effort to save pinball.

Another thing that got me thinking, Addams was a top earner for OPS for years and years and years after its release. Surely older games still earning big was a big factor in the decline of pinball sales as well. Why buy a bunch of new games when your 5 year old (and older) Addams family is out earning most of your newer pins? From what I understand, MM was a good earner for OPs as well, and that was 97 I think? It sold under 5k units but I think ops were wanting more, B/W just wanted to keep moving the line. So this just goes to show it was more than arcades dying off. You can check old Playmeter magazines if you need proof.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like another hack.
    She should start a pinball YouTube show.
    I had always heard Black Knight was the first .50 game! Lemme check Reddit.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Black Knight was the first game to ship default/minimum 50¢ to my understanding.
    I thought Gary Stern sent out that open letter to operators in 1979-80 with meteor imploring them to switch to 3-balls and 50 cents a game in order to survive?
    In Pinball Chick’s defense, she’s an older millennial indie game/video game blogger, so she’s peripherally involved due to endlessly reviewing “The Pinball Arcade” and “Zen Pinball”. She posts a lot of reviews and includes “histories” (aka Reddit research) of games to spice up her reviews.
    Keep that in mind, and take her posts with a grain of salt.
    No insult towards her, it would be as if someone from Pinside just randomly started claiming to be some retro gaming aficionado. We do pinball, KLOV does arcades, and some folk write reviews!

Black Knight 2000 was the start of the 50 cent default. Here is the message that came with it. https://www.ipdb.org/files/311/Williams_1989_Black_Knight_2000_An_Important_Message_To_Operators.pdf

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Of course we don't, but we can make reasonable assumptions here. No doubt the Star Wars license was fairly expensive, but even with the special editions coming out around that time, it was not the absolute mammoth property it is today.

You jest!

Star Wars was utterly insane from it's release till the end of the trilogy. I'd opine that it's possible that the game didn't get a shaker and a decent topper because a lot of bucks were spent on license. The game would be well suited with a shaker and the "Darth Vader" topper looks like it was robbed from Matchbox.

PA-1542048 (resized).jpgPA-1542048 (resized).jpgfa2bbf47f08535ace8338f7e551ffa93--star-wars-opening-episode-iv (resized).jpgfa2bbf47f08535ace8338f7e551ffa93--star-wars-opening-episode-iv (resized).jpg
    #64 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Thats wayyy more stuff than Star Wars has in it.

Not really- Both have drop target bank, both have 2 scoops, Star Wars has a subway, LAH does not, Star Wars has two rotation motors and the R2D2 "jumping mech" both have kickback, both have a VUK, LAH has a spinner, SW has an extra pop bumper, SW also has a THIRD motor that lowers and raises the death star target.

The big difference between the two titles is LAH has a shaker and magnets and the topper was better. The topper itself is 3 pieces of vacuum formed plastic and some #89 flasher bulbs. Not that complicated.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You jest!
    Star Wars was utterly insane from it's release till the end of the trilogy. I'd opine that it's possible that the game didn't get a shaker and a decent topper because a lot of bucks were spent on license. The game would be well suited with a shaker and the "Darth Vader" topper looks like it was robbed from Matchbox. [quoted image][quoted image]

I do not jest. Yes, I am aware it had a big following even back then. I still remember going to the packed theater opening night for the newly released special edition. That was in 97. We're still talking about 93. The biggest thing in star wars in 93 was it getting re-released on Laserdisc. Did you wait in line at Media Play to pick up a copy of Star Wars Definitive Edition on Laserdisc? Do you remember store shelves being packed to the gills with Star Wars toys in 93? Where you buying lettuce at the grocery store with R2D2 on it? I bet not. It was not the juggernaut it is today. Despite it being popular it was mostly still considered "nerdy", it probably still cost a lot less than Arnie, and the game has way less stuff in it.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Not really- Both have drop target bank, both have 2 scoops, Star Wars has a subway, LAH does not, Star Wars has two rotation motors and the R2D2 "jumping mech" both have kickback, both have a VUK, LAH has a spinner, SW has an extra pop bumper, SW also has a THIRD motor that lowers and raises the death star target.
    The big difference between the two titles is LAH has a shaker and magnets and the topper was better. The topper itself is 3 pieces of vacuum formed plastic and some #89 flasher bulbs. Not that complicated.

The crane alone is more advanced than what you just listed for Star Wars.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Absolutely, but I don't consider that DMD era I guess, although I suppose you could argue for it. Certainly a lot of money was dumped into creating an all new platform, especially as a last ditch effort to save pinball.

At the AMOA shows Williams was trying to conform to new location standards.
    The first location friendly, experimental condensed pinball size, was Safe Cracker.
    Data East tried the same thing with mini Viper pinball.
    Then came the Pinball 2000 line. The condensed package was supposedly save
    on raw material cost... Add in exchange kits on the operator end.. etc.
    The whole idea was to save money in the long term and fill a shrinking
    pinball niche.
    The whole idea of this type of pinball kit, pint-size pinball, started back in early 1980's
    Bally's Baby Pac-man, etc. Gottlieb's Mylstar line,etc. William's Varcon..
    They all failed to some degree. Hands down, the Pinball 2000 line was the most ambitious
    of all the condensed style pinballs made.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

It was not the juggernaut it is today.

I was there and strongly disagree, demand for anything Star Wars was utterly insane. The fact 9-10 years had passed since Return of the Jedi just meant the public would gobble up anything Star Wars related that came out. It's something to see it still trucking along even with Disney's mismanagement of the franchise.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

The crane alone is more advanced than what you just listed for Star Wars.

Please. The crane is an angle iron on a stick, I know I own one and made one from scratch.

The R2 mech is far more complex then anything going on with the goofy crane.

#69 1 year ago

On Data East Star Wars:

Quoted from gdonovan:

the game didn't get a shaker and a decent topper because a lot of bucks were spent on license.

One must remember, Williams sued Data East over copy rights/ trade names.
    From a coinop magazine article:
    Data East Star Wars started out as a homage to George Lukas movies.
    It became clear that their was more Star Wars stuff in the game than
    IJ, American Graffiti, Howard the Duck etc. So the game became Star Wars.
    The game got a bottom change over from five lanes to four. Then the law suit
    etc. In all, the game could have and should have if Williams didn't interfere.

#70 1 year ago

Added... I probably should not mention this but,
    Data East DMD software for Star Wars has leftover language
    for rope lite test. Like what is used on Hook.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I was there and strongly disagree, demand for anything Star Wars was utterly insane. The fact 9-10 years had passed since Return of the Jedi just meant the public would gobble up anything Star Wars related that came out. It's something to see it still trucking along even with Disney's mismanagement of the franchise.

Yes, I was there too, the perfect age to be sold on Star Wars merch and entertainment items and there just wasn't much. My much older brother who grew up with the movies when they originally dropped in the 70s was always a huge star wars fan and because of that, so was I. You're simply just wrong that Star Wars was the utterly massive property it is today or was in the late 70's to mid 80's in 1991-1993. Not saying it was small, but it was not the same as landing an Arnold movie at the time. Everyone knew what Star Wars was, but being a "star wars fan" was not the absolute commonplace thing like today or when the movies were more fresh. By the time hype about the new special effects in the special editions was going on and especially by the release of episode 1 things had greatly ramped back up again, but in the early-mid 90s Star Wars was simply not that hip in the general publics eye. "HAHA YOU LIKE STAR WARS? NERRRD!"

I will admit I forgot R2's head moved as well as going up and down which makes that mech a little cooler. Still half the stuff in Star Wars as LAH.

PS- DE Star Wars is the best Star Wars pinball ever made. Yes, even better than Stern Star Wars. Fight me if you disagree

Quoted from vec-tor:

On Data East Star Wars:

One must remember, Williams sued Data East over copy rights/ trade names.
    From a coinop magazine article:
    Data East Star Wars started out as a homage to George Lukas movies.
    It became clear that their was more Star Wars stuff in the game than
    IJ, American Graffiti, Howard the Duck etc. So the game became Star Wars.
    The game got a bottom change over from five lanes to four. Then the law suit
    etc. In all, the game could have and should have if Williams didn't interfere.

This is super interesting, thank you for sharing your insights! I wonder if DE shelled out the money to secure the rights to those other movies as well, or if the switch was made during development before all the rights were finalized

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I will admit I forgot R2's head moved as well as going up and down which makes that mech a little cooler. Still half the stuff in Star Wars as LAH.

It's not, I already rattled off a list of mechs and parts.

Aside from the shaker, single spinner and magnets, SW actually has more.

SW has three rotation motors (and the relays to run them, LAH has one) a subway (which LAH does not have) an extra pop bumper and a polished steel ramp vs LAH plastic one. You also have the Death Star and R2D2 assemblies. LAH has the gun shooter, Star Wars has the more complete T handle assembly.

#73 1 year ago

couple more newbie questions on topic.

1) do we know how these licensing agreements typically work? Is it an upfront fee or a per machine manufactured/sold fee? Or both? Have we ever heard what actual numbers are for any licensing deal?

2) so is the data east Star Wars a headache to maintain? I do love it (particularly the music) and have been tempted when I see one for sale, but (i'm sure there's a lot of threads on this) the data east name scares me off a little.

3) which would you say is the most expensive to produce of modern games (and let's just compare Premiums, for fairness, no LE's or special editions)?

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It's not, I already rattled off a list of mechs and parts.
    Aside from the shaker, single spinner and magnets, SW actually has more.
    SW has three rotation motors (and the relays to run them, LAH has one) a subway (which LAH does not have) an extra pop bumper and a polished steel ramp vs LAH plastic one. You also have the Death Star and R2D2 assemblies. LAH has the gun shooter, Star Wars has the more complete T handle assembly.

Yeah you said the crane is just angle iron which it isn't, and forgot that it also has another coil in it to hold the ball in addition to it moving. Its easily as complicated R2. I mean you can think whatever you want man, this argument is just too sillly at this point and I'm not going to further derail my thread going back and forth about it. You think DE Star Wars was way more expensive to develop, I think its LAH. We'll leave it at that.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Arguing pinball history accuracy is a fools errand. Half this talk is fireside chat material that has been hashed through so many times that the real histories are clouded somewhere between truth and total fiction. I’ve been listening to short and tall tales of pinball history from so many “reliable” sources for so long, a complete and true history of this whole industry is impossible to really nail down. Sitting here arguing over pinball history and what is “gospel” is about as productive as asking two operators about a specific titled game… neither will actually remember exact numbers, but boy howdy they will have an opinion on wether it earned or didn’t, was a decent investment at the time, or if they never wanted to see that dreaded machine ever again. Opinions will be all over the place. Unfortunately unconscious bias flavors every pinball history discussion and everyone is an industry expert in coin op gaming from 1937 to present, or so it always seems. The older I get, the more I just shut up and let the youth and Google fight it out amongst themselves.

100% this ^^^

How many of us know distributors, operators, and industry folks and take them at their word and share insights we’ve gotten from them but can’t always quote them?

Even in cases where we can, some of it is fuzzy memories mixed with nostalgia and urban legend so someone is going to dispute something or remember it differently.

Hell, Munsters is a prime example and not even history yet.

I’ve heard directly from several distributors that they couldn’t keep it in stock. Others told me they couldn’t move ‘em.

We know for a fact Stern cut the final run short and some folks came into the owners thread to say they wanted to buy it new. Were on the list and dropped. So was there demand or not?

How strong were the sales? We don’t know for sure. Only Stern knows and no one there is sharing that on record.

But we would probably all agree it’s not a contender for best selling or most expensive build based on the scraps we can pull together. We could part it out. But the BOM is not the total cost. Labor and Licenses play a huge role in price. That’s were those behind the scenes and often uncitable conversations about “how much did you hafts pay to license that” become relevant.

ISOCHRONIC_FROST, completely missed my point that the reviewer has personal history and real world connections that inform their content.

Somehow his only take away was her dad introduced her to it. Then he goes on to assume and attribute all she knows to him. Like she can’t possibly have those experience or connects herself. Because she’s a female and under 40.

But I’m the biased one because I’m not putting up with gatekeeping and personal attacks that use gender, age, etc to double down and justify skepticism. Laughable and silly.

Nothing wrong with wanting verifiable sources that’s ideal, but it’s not always possible.

On my YouTube channel, I show folks how to mod and do pinball and arcade repairs based on a mix of my own hands on experience and I often also leverage knowledge of pros on here like Vid when I don’t entirely know what I’m doing.

For the technical stuff I cite sources and provide links to the products, documentation, and support threads whenever possible.

I’ve posted how to videos for several mods and covered common topics like Novus and Cab paint stripping. Those are easy to cite and people still find things to debate.

Keep it civil is all I’m asking.

Someone’s age and gender should have nothing to do with their credibility and you can’t cite some things even when you know and want to. In other cases you are citing someone memory or what happened which can still be different than perhaps what actually happened.

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from dashv:

100% this ^^^
    How many of us know distributors, operators, and industry folks and take them at their word and share insights we’ve gotten from them but can’t always quote them?
    Even in cases where we can, some of it is fuzzy memories mixed with nostalgia and urban legend so someone is going to dispute something or remember it differently.
    Hell, Munsters is a prime example and not even history yet.
    I’ve heard directly from several distributors that they couldn’t keep it in stock. Others told me they couldn’t move ‘em.
    We know for a fact Stern cut the final run short and some folks came into the owners thread to say they wanted to buy it new. Were on the list and dropped. So was there demand or not?
    How strong were the sales? We don’t know for sure. Only Stern knows and no one there is sharing that on record.
    But we would probably all agree it’s not a contender for best selling or most expensive build based on the scraps we can pull together. We could part it out. But the BOM is not the total cost. Labor and Licenses play a huge role in price. That’s were those behind the scenes and often uncitable conversations about “how much did you hafts pay to license that” become relevant.
    ISOCHRONIC_FROST, completely missed my point that the reviewer has personal history and real world connections that inform their content.
    Somehow his only take away was her dad introduced her to it. Then he goes on to assume and attribute all she knows to him. Like she can’t possibly have those experience or connects herself. Because she’s a female and under 40.
    But I’m the biased one because I’m not putting up with gatekeeping and personal attacks that use gender, age, etc to double down and justify skepticism. Laughable and silly.
    Nothing wrong with wanting verifiable sources that’s ideal, but it’s not always possible.
    On my YouTube channel, I show folks how to mod and do pinball and arcade repairs based on a mix of my own hands on experience and I often also leverage knowledge of pros on here like Vid when I don’t entirely know what I’m doing.
    For the technical stuff I cite sources and provide links to the products, documentation, and support threads whenever possible.
    I’ve posted how to videos for several mods and covered common topics like Novus and Cab paint stripping. Those are easy to cite and people still find things to debate.
    Keep it civil is all I’m asking.
    Someone’s age and gender should have nothing to do with their credibility and you can’t cite some things even when you know and want to. In other cases you are citing someone memory or what happened which can still be different than perhaps what actually happened.

In Frost's defense I truly don't think his questioning her credibility had anything to do with her age and gender. Just a by-product of the observation he was making. I don't think there was any malicious intent there and he raised some valid points with things that could be questioned. I think you addressed those concerns pretty well. For now, I think most of us agree that she doesn't deserve to be discredited completely, nor should her stories by taken as complete gospel, for the reasons you pointed out in the first part of this reply. I loved what you wrote there, and couldn't agree more. Most of this stuff is going to be murky. We can try to make some reasonable assumptions from what we do know. We might be right, or wrong, we're just telling tales.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I am in agreement that what she says shouldn't be necessarily taken as gospel. Thats why I made this thread so that maybe some of the dudes that have been around for a while, chatted with the guys who were there, attended seminars at old conventions, or just picked up general history over the years might share their stories and insight into these things. When I hear a response thats just like "NOPE IT WAS JUST PINBALL DYING", I'm not taking them seriously. We all know that was a big factor. That doesn't mean other good or bad decisions along the way didn't have significant impact too. Thats what I'm here to discuss and learn about. Also one of my favorite topics is old operator tales. One of my favorite things on TNT when Todd starts talking about how things were when a certain game was new.

Thats a great story, and when I was a kid in that time period nobody I knew gave a crap about PC's or playing games on computers for the most part. Yeah we did play a lot of SNES and Genesis though and the whole "now you can play SF2 and MK at home" makes a lot of sense. Still, the arcade was a special place for some time for everyone I knew for years well into the ps1-n64 era. I guess the point here is personal anecdotes are interesting but still don't necessarily color the entire picture. I am in agreement the rise of consoles and PCs had a lot to do with the fall of the arcade.

Well stated. Thats all this thread is supposed to be about. Campfire stories from the days of yore in pinball past. I'm fully aware the history isn't always (or almost ever) crystal clear. One of the reasons I loved the coast 2 coast pinball podcast was hearing all the old tales. I should revisit that podcast soon!

Healthy advice about history. I don’t know that any account can be ever taken as gospel. It’s always a lossy capture for one reason or another.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

couple more newbie questions on topic.
    1) do we know how these licensing agreements typically work? Is it an upfront fee or a per machine manufactured/sold fee? Or both? Have we ever heard what actual numbers are for any licensing deal?
    2) so is the data east Star Wars a headache to maintain? I do love it (particularly the music) and have been tempted when I see one for sale, but (i'm sure there's a lot of threads on this) the data east name scares me off a little.
    3) which would you say is the most expensive to produce of modern games (and let's just compare Premiums, for fairness, no LE's or special editions)?

Licenses are very case by case basis.

There are some default universals, like the need to pay royalties for using actors likenesses. Licensing for using original film or audio content. Etc.

But volume of production, exact fees, and derivative works are usually closed door negotiations.

Some require being paid up front. Others can be pay as you go. Some have penalties for not selling above a certain threshold.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yeah you said the crane is just angle iron which it isn't,

I made one from scratch, not much to it in comparison.

Quoted from Haymaker:

and forgot that it also has another coil in it to hold the ball in addition to it moving.

A $10 mini-coil, big whoop.

Quoted from Haymaker:

Its easily as complicated R2.

I have had both apart, no it isn't.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I made one from scratch, not much to it in comparison.

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of that.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of that.

Only one I have at the moment.

aab967c2be625378702c793869ea8b2ef5a18cb2 (resized).jpgaab967c2be625378702c793869ea8b2ef5a18cb2 (resized).jpg
    #82 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Surely older games still earning big was a big factor in the decline of pinball sales as well.

I think there is a Roger Sharpe quote about B/W being their own worst competitor or something to that effect. Having built some tank worthy titles in the early 80’s & 90’s, they had to try and convince ops that newer machines would bring bigger earnings and that was not really happening. So they turned to technology and Pin2k to try and get video heads to try and play pinball and then pulled the plug before the fruits of the endeavor could manifest. I personally thought it was a step in the absolute wrong direction, and was glad to see Pin2k fold, but not glad it took B/W Pinball down with it.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I think there is a Roger Sharpe quote about B/W being their own worst competitor or something to that effect. Having built some tank worthy titles in the early 80’s & 90’s, they had to try and convince ops that newer machines would bring bigger earnings and that was not really happening. So they turned to technology and Pin2k to try and get video heads to try and play pinball and then pulled the plug before the fruits of the endeavor could manifest. I personally thought it was a step in the absolute wrong direction, and was glad to see Pin2k fold, but not glad it took B/W Pinball down with it.

When I got into pinball 20 years ago, there were some old-timers who loved to say "diamondplate killed pinball!"

The theory being that with playfields on successful games no longer being reduced to a late-70s Bally style pulp, there was less need for ops to buy new equipment.

Is there a blog post on that?

"When Diamondplate on tables came into fashion, the tables lasted forever, therefore nobody bought new tables. Also, tables!"

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Only one I have at the moment.
    [quoted image]

Looks pretty good from what I can see!

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It's not complicated if you have a metal brake and some scrap.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It's not complicated if you have a metal brake and some scrap.

It is even easier today with laser cutting services...I could draw that thing up in an hour as a flat pattern and have the parts cut perfectly...just need to bend them nicely on a brake and pant (or powder coat).

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Look close at the apron- You will see it does not match the factory unit.

I made it from scratch, took pictures of my own LAH apron decals, imported into Photoshop and modified and resized and assembled. It's a neat piece of animated wall art and thank to JodyG I have some test ramps coming to fill it out a bit more and I'll have to scratch build some wire forms.

Might even link the crane and flippers to a servo so they slowly go back and forth.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"When Diamondplate on tables came into fashion, the tables lasted forever, therefore nobody bought new tables.

It's a theory. I don't agree with it.

Ops had three types of locations. Top ones, middle ones, bottom ones.

With diamond plate, and the playfield lasting longer. When a new game comes in, the diamond plate could be rotated down the location chain. And a great looking pin coming into a middle location, will earn better. Then as it's rotated to the bottom location, again looking great it will earn better.

Ops stood to make more over the life of the game.

I still hold that the price per play didn't keep up with the economy, and earnings slowed up. Ops buying less, distributors ordering less, manufacturers were going down hill fast.

The first game that shipped at 50¢ per play was Black Knight in 1981. The cost of living index shows that the price should have increased to 75¢ per play in 1991. Ops were still making good money, but losing buying power. By the mid 90's pinball was on the roller coaster to hell. Players were still there. But Ops were losing ground and going after coin op equipment that could keep earnings up.

The rest is history.

LTG : )

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yes, I was there too, the perfect age to be sold on Star Wars merch and entertainment items and there just wasn't much. My much older brother who grew up with the movies when they originally dropped in the 70s was always a huge star wars fan and because of that, so was I. You're simply just wrong that Star Wars was the utterly massive property it is today or was in the late 70's to mid 80's in 1991-1993. Not saying it was small, but it was not the same as landing an Arnold movie at the time. Everyone knew what Star Wars was, but being a "star wars fan" was not the absolute commonplace thing like today or when the movies were more fresh. By the time hype about the new special effects in the special editions was going on and especially by the release of episode 1 things had greatly ramped back up again, but in the early-mid 90s Star Wars was simply not that hip in the general publics eye. "HAHA YOU LIKE STAR WARS? NERRRD!"

FWIW that was my experience as well, as a young teen in Chicago at the time. The feeling around Star Wars then - at least among people my age - was "oh yeah, a one-and-done trilogy killed off by cutesy Muppets and Ewoks 10 years ago... what are you like 9? Why do you like that crap? Terminator and DieHard and DemoMan and (***insert early-90's gun-hero action trope here***) are where it's at". Hell, even the Indiana Jones trilogy was more recent and relevant and to recall lingo of the time, "hip". And the Star Wars prequels weren't even a whispered rumor yet so... yeah. They were those movies that UHF stations sometimes ran after Wizard of Oz.

The kids who grew up with Star Wars in 77-83 were too busy desperately trying to NOT be kids in 92-93. And the adults of that time generally (excepting such lovable nerds like my own dad) were a less frivolous sort who let the past stay there and, also, didn't have anything marketed toward them to buy anyway. Except via Franklin Mint in the TV Guide.

Hell, in 92/93 even STTNG (at its arguable peak then) had more merchandising across all realms than Star Wars. Which I specifically recall due to my dad being a huge ST nerd, I'd often look for stuff for him as gifts. And I worked at KMart at the time (*shudder*). Star Wars stuff was still being made, but barely existed and was little stocked in comparison. Freaking "Starting Lineup" figures and NASCAR diecasts (even in Chicago!) were way more popular. And wow but you had to look for TOYS then because the "adult / pop-culture / fandom collectibles" market as we know it today simply did not exist back then. It was sorta in its infancy, as a lot of those action-figure "toys" were silently if not-so-secretly appealing to older wallets - but you certainly didn't have the cross-marketing orgy in every venue and market you see today. Comic shops sold... comics, as in paper, only. Media stores sold... tapes and discs. Sure, for the last 15-20 years, you can't go to any comic or media store, or bigbox electronics department, without being awash in licensed toys and nostalgia trinkets and related crap and yes Star Wars is the big dog now. But none of that was a thing in 92/93. You wanted Star Wars stuff you were stalking yard sales because no internet!

That all changed by the late 90's of course, when things like Comic-Cons and nascent internet culture began to prove that Nerds had lots of buying power and influence. (Remember those first cons? "Who the hell goes to those? NERRRRD!" Now they're an industry to itself).

Oh and somewhere in all of that cultural shift, the OG Star Wars re-releases - themselves only made to reboot nostalgic interest and hype the forthcoming prequels (which were still NEW and thus not the controversy they are today), happened. So if anything Star Wars is a masterclass in how to take a moribund but fondly remembered franchise and kick its money printer into high gear on the backs of nerds. See every IP "reboot" which has followed.

BUT TDLR All of that is to say: if I had seen the Star Wars machine in 1992/93, I probably would have skipped it myself if there was a Terminator or STTNG or hell even LAH anywhere near it. At its evident nadir, the Star Wars license should not have been anywhere near as valuable as it would become even just a few years later.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone can point to any manufacturer of any game, ever, publishing their BOM I’d love to see it.

IPDB sometimes has stuff. They have actual BOM and cost to distributor in some 70s games

Grand Prix https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1072

BOM: $402.23
    Price to Distributor: $945.00

Here is a photo of the Paragon BOM
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/1755/Bally_1979_Paragon_Original_Factory_BOM_incomplete_evidentiary_photos_only_dated_5_8_79.pdf

Here's Corvette's BOM
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/570/Bally_1994_Corvette_Parts_List.txt

Doesn't have prices here though. But I feel like I've seen one with prices for a 70s games.

#91 1 year ago

LTG is a wise and smart pin head, he knows his shit !

Quoted from LTG:

It's a theory. I don't agree with it.
    Ops had three types of locations. Top ones, middle ones, bottom ones.
    With diamond plate, and the playfield lasting longer. When a new game comes in, the diamond plate could be rotated down the location chain. And a great looking pin coming into a middle location, will earn better. Then as it's rotated to the bottom location, again looking great it will earn better.
    Ops stood to make more over the life of the game.
    I still hold that the price per play didn't keep up with the economy, and earnings slowed up. Ops buying less, distributors ordering less, manufacturers were going down hill fast.
    The first game that shipped at 50¢ per play was Black Knight in 1981. The cost of living index shows that the price should have increased to 75¢ per play in 1991. Ops were still making good money, but losing buying power. By the mid 90's pinball was on the roller coaster to hell. Players were still there. But Ops were losing ground and going after coin op equipment that could keep earnings up.
    The rest is history.

#92 1 year ago

To revisit an earlier tangent about earlier pins in this thread, I have to credit my wife for finding this, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before:

30302367021270 (resized).jpeg30302367021270 (resized).jpeg

I guess it's not conclusively linked toward recouping a high BOM / Retail price, but Gottlieb indeed asserted Black Hole as the first pin to price at 50c/play, back in 1981.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

I can't imagine that Stern POTC was cheap to make with the sinking ship, treasure chest that opens, and the spinning disk.

What I’m thinking will that sinking ship be reincorporated into a Jaws pin perhaps someday!! Wishful thinking.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Imagine having just another ten years of that concept being made. Or whatever number years if it was to continue. Awful.

#95 1 year ago

Also read the Black Hole flyer

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

>the first accepted at 50 cent play

Granted I wasn't around at the time, but were all games the same price? I can see why ops would have charged more for Black Knight and Black Hole to other typical games with less features. I've also repeatedly heard Black Knight OG cited as the first "you should charge 50 cent" games. Did coin op price dip down during the arcade crash?

When was Bally's first 50 cent recommended game?

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also read the Black Hole flyer
    [quoted image]
    >the first accepted at 50 cent play
    Granted I wasn't around at the time, but were all games the same price? I can see why ops would have charged more for Black Knight and Black Hole to other typical games with less features. I've also repeatedly heard Black Knight OG cited as the first "you should charge 50 cent" games. Did coin op price dip down during the arcade crash?
    When was Bally's first 50 cent recommended game?

All of this just hammers home the point of what others have said...this is ancient history at this point and we just have to read it all and consider it all and draw your own conclusions. I would expect the people writing Gottlieb's promo material didn't really give a shit what was going on over at Williams or whether or not their claims were actually true, or really expect that anybody was going to be arguing about who sent games from the factory at 50 cents a play first 42 years later. Maybe it was Black Knight...maybe it was Black Hole...regardless, we aren't gonna get the definitive answer from 42-year old flyers, memos to distributors, or stories from old men who were on the scene back then (or their kids).

This all reminds me of the great book about Ed Wood that was adapted into the Tim Burton Ed Wood movie. The book interviews all of the at the time living dozens of lunatics involved in the Ed Wood story from the 50s-70s and published all of it. Tons of the interviews contradict each other, but it all makes for good reading. What's the true story? Who the Hell knows. The reader gets to sort it out, and of course, the best stories made it into the movie.

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

I guess it's not conclusively linked toward recouping a high BOM / Retail price, but Gottlieb indeed asserted Black Hole as the first pin to price at 50c/play, back in 1981.

Gottlieb can assert all they want. Black Knight beat it by 11 months. Black Knight was November 1980. Black Hole October 1981.

#98 1 year ago

Well yeah, it's just marketing. They even word it as "first accepted" so they admit it wasn't the first 50 cent game. And we all know OPs didn't like BH because it's a bear to maintain. It's all hype...

It was more about having another data point that the shift to 50 cents began in 1981, not 1989

What was Bally's first 50 cent game?

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When I got into pinball 20 years ago, there were some old-timers who loved to say "diamondplate killed pinball!"
    The theory being that with playfields on successful games no longer being reduced to a late-70s Bally style pulp, there was less need for ops to buy new equipment.
    Is there a blog post on that?

There is video of Lawlor talking about it.. so even better

#100 1 year ago

Anyone catch the qualifier? The first “Accepted” machine set at $0.50 per play. Implying that they are not the first, but the first that was worthy of the extra expense. Please. We dropped our quarters where we got the most bang for our buck. $0.25 for 5 balls or we walk!! And I did until I started making that fat enlisted peon wage in the Navy, then it was nothing but $0.50 a play on good old Black Knight… wait, Black Out was still $0.25 for 5… and then it was all gone. 3 balls for $0.50 was here to stay. Even Fire Power got drug into the mess… if a machine had multiball it went to fifty a play, only non multiballs stayed at a quarter, but went to all three ball play. Shit started getting pricey to play at the arcades. By 1991 I said it would be cheaper to buy a used machine… that ain’t anywhere near true today but it was only slightly outrageous back then.

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/highest-production-cost-games-of-the-dmd-era/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.