(Topic ID: 189513)

Higher voltage through switch matrix, is it blown?

By Time

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5538 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

15v+ out on switch matrix lamps. What did I break?

I've got a Data East #JP and one of my CPU controlled lamps wires (yellow/green) is getting higher voltage than normal. I've checked other lamps and I'm seeing 2-3v but yellow/green wire is seeing 15-17 volts. All the CPU lamps are LED.

3 of the 5 lamps on yellow/green are totally out. One working was way brighter than normal and the last lamp does light up in attract mode but its sequence is off with the rest of the pattern. I tried putting a different LED in the bright socket and same result. I'm assuming voltage is the main problem but I've seen see this issue before.

IMG_5538 (resized).JPG

Problem:

• 15v+ on CPU control lamps (yellow/green)
  • 3 of the LEDs are actually dead - guessing too much voltage blew them
  • 1 LED is super bright (guessing voltage)
  • Both working LEDs aren't showing the right attract pattern. Seems like a lot of flickering and interference and delay.
  • Lastly - when I turn the game off one of the LED's on green/yellow lights up fully then fades out after 1 second. I'm assuming this is draining power from the capacitor.

I haven't taken in the CPU board out of the game to check for blown components. But still guessing the switch matrix is dead? I fear this fix is going to be beyond my skill repair unfortunately. Any one have any thoughts or advice? Would greatly appreciate any direction you could provide.

Thanks,
- Jayson

#2 1 year ago

Here you can see the two red LEDs blinking out of sync with the attract mode and when the game is turned off they stay on and discharge for a second or so.

#3 1 year ago

bump

#4 1 year ago

The transistor for that column of the lamp matrix is probably bad. Check the schematics and test it compared to its neighbors with the machine off.

#5 1 year ago

check Q67.

For testing : please replace lamps 33,34....40 with normal lamps.
One of you're LED's might be broken and causes strange behavor on the lamp matrix

#6 1 year ago

Just a guess but you may have a flasher lug shorting to that green yellow column,

1 month later
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from supermoot:

The transistor for that column of the lamp matrix is probably bad. Check the schematics and test it compared to its neighbors with the machine off.

Quoted from Pinballdoctor1:

check Q67.
For testing : please replace lamps 33,34....40 with normal lamps.
One of you're LED's might be broken and causes strange behavor on the lamp matrix

Took out all of the LED lamps and regular bulbs were just super bright and hot. I tested the transistor at Q67 and confirmed I'm getting 17v across all three pins. Looks like this might be the fail point. I ordered some replacement tip142c transistors and I'll see if this fixes it when they arrive. Thanks!

#8 1 year ago

Also, good to pull all non working leds before repairing matrix. I've seen leds when overdriven fail and go to a shorted state and cause other issues upstream.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside