(Topic ID: 52438)

High voltage power explosions: wpc and DE version 2

By CadillacMusic

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Workin' on fixing up a JP that was sitting in our storage area for ages. The only power board we have is one that literally has a hole blown in it, so it had...problems. I've fixed the five volts up and running, but F7, the .5 ground fuse for the AC kept blowing. I replaced the four involved transistors, and an interesting thing happened. I plug it in, and there's a big spark on the right leg of the 15031, and the 5401 literally explodes. While amusing, I've actually seen this happen on a WPC display board before, but could never fix it. Clearly, too much current is running into the 5401, but why? What causes it? I replaced the zener diode, but that doesn't seem to be it.

#2 10 years ago

I was going to say before your last line that's usually diode related from what I have read.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah. :/ I did take the diode from a -00 board, 'cause I don't have a 1n5228 on hand. So it still might be it. Is there a common zener I could stick in there as a replacement?

#4 10 years ago

Oh, or is it maybe the "downstream" diode, D11, the 100v? I didn't try that yet...

#5 10 years ago

Zener's are pretty specific from what I understand, I would get the right one.

The DE/sega/stern DMD controllers is something I have had no success in fixing, some someone else will have to chime in. wpc's, no problem, but there isn't enough info out there for me to repair the stern ones.

#6 10 years ago

Usually unless you've got a lot of experience with HV repairs on these boards it's best to do a complete HV rebuild. As you've discovered, if you miss one component, it will take out the new ones.

Kits are available from greatplainselectronics.com or my site.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#7 10 years ago

Actually I've repaired about 15 WPC display boards, but not any data east. And I have most of the parts, we just don't have that one zener. The reason I'd rather fudge it is that it takes like 2 weeks for parts to get ordered and arrive around here, and I've got the free time now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-voltage-power-explosions-wpc-and-de-version-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.