(Topic ID: 211654)

High Transformer Voltage

By beadwindow

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

so I got my 69 Williams Suspense up and running and it's a lot of fun but it feels like it's playing on high tap. its very fast and the chimes are very loud but I switched it from the high to normal position when I got it. After a dozen games it was clear this wasn't normal so I decided to check the voltage after starting a game to put some load on the transformer. the 6V secondary reads 6.4 which seems well within specs but the 24V secondary is reading 30 and the high tap reads 31.5. it seems the 24V circuit is 25% above where it should be but the 6V circuit is ok?
also, the line voltage is around 123V.
any ideas on how to drop the voltage on either the line or 24V secondary? as it is, it's too easy to score and more importantly, playfield damage is likely.

#2 6 years ago

Im 123.9 and 29.5 regular tap, similar. I have a variac I'll sell you

#3 6 years ago

I run into this quite often with my audio hobby. Older tube amplifiers have transformers expecting 110-115 Volts AC input (when line voltage was lower many years ago). My house and most residential lines are now 123-125. So the secondary voltage after the transformer is going to be higher because the input voltage is higher. There are things like Variacs that pinhead52 mentioned. There is also something called a bucking transformer. I have used this on some amps I built and have a setup for older amps that can not stand the higher line voltage. You need to make sure your bucking transformer is rated for the current the pinball will use. Some look industrial and some look reasonable. I make my own and put them in a nice looking enclosure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bucking+transformer&oq=bucking+transformer&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6681j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

My house and most residential lines are now 123-125.

All the more reason you shouldn't be hi-tapping your EMs.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

All the more reason you shouldn't be hi-tapping your EMs.

cause they already is...

#6 6 years ago

that’s interesting so what’s the better route, a variac or bucking transformer?

#7 6 years ago

ordered a 130V variac off amazon so that should have me covered as the Suspense schematic shows the incoming line voltage at 110V which is quite a disparity. damn, prolly shoulda ordered 2 variacs since I have pins downstairs.

#8 6 years ago

Got the variac in and it works great. I placed it inside the cab in the rear and I like being able to dial in the exact voltage and the action now is much more appropriate. Well, it’s actually as the factory intended.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-transformer-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.