• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

[quoted image]
So I was looking into high tapping my Blackout, to make the solenoids stronger. It specifies a lot of jumpers to be added and removed, some on 6P1, some soldered directly to the transformer, and that seemed really complicated compared to newer/older games.
I'm not a transformer expert, but it seems to me like, if you just moved the lower line connection (6P1-1) to connect to 3/7 instead of 4/8 on the transformer, it would accomplish the same thing as all the jumpering they specify, shouldn't it? With no wire on 4/8, the 3-4 and 7-8 windings on the transformer are no longer connected at one end, and would be out of the equation.

This will work fine as it is electrically the same as whats in the table. However, be aware that this will raise all the secondary voltages of the transformer, not just solenoids.

Quoted from zacaj:

[quoted image]
Further, it got me wondering, it looks like the 1-2 and 3-4 windings are going to the lamps/solenoids, while 5-6 and 7-8 are going to the logic and GI. Is that true, or is it just a coincidence of how it's hooked up? If so, could I just move 4->3 and leave 8 where it is, to effectively high tap the coils+lamps while leaving the logic and GI voltages alone? or do I need to move both for it to work?

The triple bar through the transformer on the schematic indicates the windings that are magnetically connected. For this transformer, all primary windings are coupled to all the secondary windings. This is to enable the support of various voltages (windings in parallel for lower voltages) and serial for higher voltages. Therefore you cannot up the voltages on a specific secondary winding by high-tapping part of the primary windings.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

- Moving those two wires produced a 12% change to the power, which is consistent with 105 / 117, so I *think* that I am correct about my simple two wire change being equivilant to the giant list of changes williams lists?
- doing just the 4->3 change seems to be a pretty safe way to get a tiny bit more juice out of the transformer. Bumps the solenoid voltage up ~6%, but leaves the GI voltage the same. I powered the full game on like this after some additional checks, and it works fine. Coils feel a bit stronger, but still not as much as I'd expect compared to other games..

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Not sure it is a bad idea either. You are, however, placing a larger strain on one set of primary windings vs the other by wiring them differently like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-tapping-williams-sys3-6-solenoids?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.