(Topic ID: 109050)

High speed wiring help..(update what is this doohickey)( isolation transformer )

By danczaz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by danczaz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image-421.jpg
image-470.jpg
image-288.jpg
image-969.jpg
image-604.jpg
image-225.jpg
image-115.jpg
image-963.jpg
image-834.jpg
image-703.jpg
image-982.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-393.jpg
image.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Just picked up a working high speed but she has some hacks... First one here... Anyone got a photo that they could help me figure this out... She works but why the blue wire unhooked (where should other end go... )

What gage wire should I replace the one with alligator clips?

Thanks dan

image-945.jpgimage-945.jpg

image-201.jpgimage-201.jpg

image-37.jpgimage-37.jpg

image-845.jpgimage-845.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Get rid of the alligator clip wire for certain, that's trouble and has no business being attached to mains voltage. The black coming into the box from the wall cord should go to the fuse holder, and it looks like it does. Get rid of the short blue wire and replace it with black of the same gauge as the line cord, might be 14 or 16AWG, but don't quote me on that. Someone else might chime in. The replacement wire should go from where the existing blue wire is attached to the fuse holder over to the terminal of the line filter opposite the terminal of where the white wire is attached (where the alligator clip is attached in the pic) Hope that makes some sense.

#3 9 years ago

That makes sense... Thanks!!

#4 9 years ago

Here is my HS

IMG_20140203_093526.jpgIMG_20140203_093526.jpg
#5 9 years ago

Thanks!!! That helps too!!!

Just ordered XPIN displays... My first order from them... Kind of excited... Going to fix this first hack tonight then I will post the next hack on power supply... Hopefully I an able to just repin... Hopefully a simple issue....

#6 9 years ago

So those alligator clips to the wire had a fuse in between them... Why add a fuse her... Insight...?
image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Also here's what I'm working with on power supply board

image-294.jpgimage-294.jpg

#8 9 years ago

image-23.jpgimage-23.jpgSo now if I solder the blue wire back in place like photos from post #4 then it would exactly the same... Is there potentially something wrong here to check for since someone went out of way to add that fuse...

#9 9 years ago

I'm surprised there isn't a varitistor in there. I haven't looked inside my HS line filter, but I know my TZ and IJ have them.

#12 9 years ago

Does it mean that fuse blew and they bypassed? If I just alligator clip blue wire back on then game shouldn't work if it blown.. Right?

#13 9 years ago

Upon close inspection that fuse holder looks melted... So I either need to find the replacement fuse holder or run a fuse holder in there... Do they still sell those or should I use a spare I have laying around from a system 4 pin..,

image-304.jpgimage-304.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Buy a replacement fuse holder. You can buy the panel mounted fuse holders at Radio shack or Fry's for under $5.

#15 9 years ago

The fuse holder is toast, they just bypassed it with the jumper. Radio shack or digi key will have something to replace the original one. That way it wont look like a hack.

#16 9 years ago

well I patched her up before I find a the correct fuse holder... Played around with a few LED in backglass... Moved her in the house before this big freeze starts tomorrow...

when the pin is plugged in (and off) I hear the slightest buzz/hum... I have an atlantis and swords of fury next to her and I don't get that ever so slight noise... Is this normal? I usually don't bring a game inside till I've tore her down and prettied her up but I had to b/c of weather... I'm leaving her unplugged... Any input would be appreciated... Thanks dan

image-726.jpgimage-726.jpg

image-573.jpgimage-573.jpg

image-650.jpgimage-650.jpg

#17 9 years ago

Hum or buzz sound with the switch in the off position is NOT NORMAL, something is not wired correctly! How about a pic of your on/off switch.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

when the pin is plugged in (and off) I hear the slightest buzz/hum

First thing to determine is where the hum is coming from, and if your power switch is working. Listen for the hum. If it's the speakers, then for certain the power switch is having no effect. Lift the playfield and listen at the transformer and the line filter and see if it is either of those that is humming. Use a DMM to check for AC power at the transformer with the switch in the off and on position, verifies if your switch is working.

#20 9 years ago

Great picture in post#16 !
I know, the next picture shows the fuse+holder safely taped in, but still..

If I was a buyer of this machine, I would appreciate to know that it is not entirely original under the hood.

earth-fuse.jpgearth-fuse.jpg

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Great picture in post#16 !
I know, the next picture shows the fuse+holder safely taped in, but still..
If I was a buyer of this machine, I would appreciate to know that it is not entirely original under the hood.

Easy, Danczaz already said this was temporary until he obtains the correct fuseholder. However, the fuse tabs so close to the chassis is a bit scary. There was plenty of clearance available to position that tab away from the housing. Temporary or permanent, still should be safe about line voltage.

#22 9 years ago

The P1 and P2 displays may be a CPU problem. I notice the same segments are out on P1 and P2.

#23 9 years ago

yes this is just temporary until I find a fuse holder... I actually taped her up before I turned her on... I did not have much wire to work with so that's why it is tucked in that corner... It is still temporarily better than the whole assembly laying open inside of can with alligator clips sticking out...

I'll take a closer look tonight where that ever so soft hum/noise is coming from...

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The P1 and P2 displays may be a CPU problem. I notice the same segments are out on P1 and P2.

I hope you are wrong!!!! So when I purchase the machine the P4 numeric display was completely out.. The P3 numeric display worked but kind of scrambled like its on its way out.. The P1 and P2 alpha numerical displays had segments out and looked to have a good amount of burn in..

The pin came with a newly purchase master display board and numeric display for P4. I put in the new display in P4 and the new master display board... Same issues with P1 - P3 and P4 was crystal clear like you would hope for a new display... I swapped P3 and P4 and still had an issue with the P4 that had been in P3...

I wiggled and unplugged and re plugged all the connectors but still no luck with P1 and P2... Also had a segment out on credit display... With the burn in on the existing displays I gambled that they were display issues and just bought the XPIN replacement... Figured it would be easier than hunted down the two alpha numerical displays, numeric display and credit display...

I hope I'm right... we'll find out when they get here.

#25 9 years ago

You need to pull off that red cover off the switch then take a pic. With it unplugged from the wall first!!

#26 9 years ago

Ouch!!!! J/k

image-554.jpgimage-554.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#27 9 years ago

Very carefully test with a voltmeter set on AC volts 200 scale the black wire on the switch to the wire braid on the cabinet. The cord plugged in and switch off. One of the black wires on the switch should be 120 volts and the other black wire should be 0 volts. With the switch in the on position both black wires should be 120 volts. P/S Be careful !!!

#28 9 years ago

Before I do that... What is this thing I'm pointing too? That is make the ever so slight hum when off... Don't see that on SOF.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-393.jpgimage-393.jpg
#29 9 years ago

That is your problem!!! That is not factory. Where does this connect to? For safety this needs to be removed completely and what ever it was doing needs to be fixed right.

#30 9 years ago

We are plugged into that device and then that device has a cord that plugs to wall... Should I unplug and plug right into wall? Is that something used for foreign countries??

image.jpgimage.jpg

#31 9 years ago

You apparently have the rare, dual transformer prototype.

No idea. I've never seen that before, but it's not original.

#32 9 years ago

That might make a good boat anchor!

#33 9 years ago

Can I get rid of it and just plug in?

#34 9 years ago

I would.

#35 9 years ago

Isolation transformer required in Canada back in the day:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/fQbB_L0ieg0

#36 9 years ago

I plugged and it works fine... Thanks for that post... Is it better to just leave it in?

#37 9 years ago

That will run up the electric bill even when turned off!

#38 9 years ago

Hmmm... From looks of it I can get a couple green backs off her on eBay... So that went from WTF to $$$

I'll take it...

#39 9 years ago

We'll put her on eBay... Wonder if it will sell...

ebay.com link: link

#40 9 years ago

Next I'll tackle that burnt up GI connector and hack...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 9 years ago

More views than I expected overnight

image-982.jpgimage-982.jpg

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

More views than I expected overnight

I see them sell for about $25 to $50. You shouldn't have any problem getting something for it. Tons of uses for them.

#43 9 years ago

If you decide to sell the numeric displays (p3/p4) let me know. I need one for my high speed.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I see them sell for about $25 to $50. You shouldn't have any problem getting something for it. Tons of uses for them.

Good to know!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

If you decide to sell the numeric displays (p3/p4) let me know. I need one for my High Speed.

I'm going to keep the brand new one as spare for a future game... The previous owner paid like $60 for it (new glass)... The other one works and no segments out but it has some miles on it and is headed towards end of its life... Let me put in the new XPINs and as long as it works fine (no CPU issue) then you can have it for $10 if you want it (basically cost of shipping)

#46 9 years ago

Awesome, appreciate it!

#47 9 years ago

Time to repin...
image-703.jpgimage-703.jpg

#49 9 years ago

Would you be willing to part/sell the credit/ball display if the Xpin works out? My right side is out. My p1 through p4 are fine.
If not no biggie, I have my HS all tore apart right now restoring the play field.
Justin

#50 9 years ago

Yes... It's got some miles on it... Once I get XPin... I'll contact you... $10 because I think she's gonna go...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-wiring-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.