Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Biglouie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Purchased a high speed with sound issues. Got the sound going by reflowing solder on some connectors and fixinna bad trace but the sound fx dont start until the game has been left on for 20 minutes and then they work perfect. If the game is shut off and back on immediately they still work. If the game is left off for 20 mins they will need to "warm up" again.

Any ideas ?

#2 6 years ago

If I were a betting man, I'd probably say that you'll want to re-cap the sound board. Electrolytic capacitors are sensitive to that kind of thing, and when they're failing, the additional heat probably kicks them into line to start working again.

#3 6 years ago

My understanding is that the sound board controls only the music which is working fine and the sound fx are located in the sound chips on the mpu. Would the same apply to caps on the mpu then ? Bad caps on the mpu would satisfy why music works properly and sound fx don't.
    Can the capacitors be tested onboard ?

#4 6 years ago

Also whats the voltages coming from the power supply when cold/ hot. Has the power supply been recapped? You could also have a cracked solder joint on the 12/-12 header pins of on the power supply or 1J17 of the Cpu board.

#5 6 years ago

Voltages from the power supple are all good and the same when hot/cold. Will check 1J17 header pins tonight. Thx

#6 6 years ago

All electrolytic capacitors on mpu have been replaced and 1J17 repinned. No changes, same problem. Any other suggestions ?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stormtrooper:

Any other suggestions ?

You can let it warm up and put it in sound test, lock it on a call out that stops working when cold. Take a can of air upside down and spray it on a component like U-4 op amp. See if you lose the sound.

#8 6 years ago

So a big thanks to Grumpy for the idea. I let it warm up and get to a fully working state and then placed a plastic icepack on each component for 20 sec. when I did it to the sound processor IC the sound fx cut out. Remove the icepack and they came back after 5 mins. Repeat several times and the same result.
    So I got a new MC6802P and put it in and it works perfect without warming up.

I cant say that I would have ever thought of an idea like this. Dont know if its your idea originally or you heard it somewhere else but its pretty outside the box and genius and saved me when I was teally stuck. Now I'm enjoying my high speed as it should be.

Thanks !

#9 6 years ago

Playball!

2 years later
    #10 4 years ago

What a brilliant fix. I'm getting a rogue sound effect when the machine is cold. I can't even find the sound in test mode!

Any thoughts on why Getaway would play a.continous rogue sound effect when cold!?

Still amazed at Grumpy suggestion above, brilliant...

#12 4 years ago

Hopefully GRUMPY will hear.my cry!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-warm-up-needed-for-sound-fx?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.