Topic poll

“High Speed vs High Speed II”

• High Speed 30 votes
    39%
  • The Getaway: High Speed II 47 votes
    61%

(77 votes)

#1 6 years ago

I'm looking for an opinion from the community.

I've previously owned High Speed II and really enjoyed it, but ended up selling it to fund another purchase. Lately I find myself missing it and am contemplating looking for another one. However, I always have had a soft spot for the original High Speed. It was a game changer for pinball and was the reason I started playing more pins instead of video games in the mid-80s.

I know there are significant differences in game play between the two, but the nostalgia of the original still has me second guessing which one is the best for my collection, and having both is not an option. Let's see what the consensus will be through this poll.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

They are basically the same game, but HSII has a few extra features and a DMD. But, it is also has a bit more stop-and-go gameplay compared to the original.

It really comes down to which features you enjoy more.

#3 6 years ago

High Speed is much better IMO. The whole key is the side ramp, and HS2 takes it away; no thanks.

#4 6 years ago

It also takes away all those spinners!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

It also takes away all those spinners!

The spinners on HS are so satisfying to hit. Not sure why they got rid of them.

#6 6 years ago

I voted hs2. Super jackpot is crazy satisfying, and jackpot light shows are among the best in pinball.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

High Speed is much better IMO.

The same thing for me, I think that the High Speed is much more pleasant to play, its nervousness and its diabolical rhythm make it a safe bet. A must.

#8 6 years ago

Back in the day High Speed was a favorite of mine.

When I saw a High Speed II I couldn't wait to play it.

However I remember walking away disappointed. Not sure if it was because of the anticipation of a great game in my mind or if it was just a poorly taken care of game.

Because of this, the original for me any day.

#9 6 years ago

It looks to me like most of those who prefer High Speed to Getaway played and liked High Speed before Getaway existed. I played Getaway before ever playing High Speed and I much prefer Getaway. I always like to play it at a friend's house.

#10 6 years ago

HS 2 has better music

#11 6 years ago

Oh hellllls no!

#12 6 years ago

High Speed all the way. I've owned a Gettaway and the stop and go slows the game down compard to High Speed. I'm just about done with my project High Speed that was in boxes when I got it. Got it flipping and man is it a blast.

#13 6 years ago

I've had near-mint copies sitting side by side.

I think both games are good -- they both lack drop targets in a bad way.

High Speed is hands down better with:
1. spinners
2. less stop n go
3. more open playfield
4. the random ball return to slings/flippers
5. and the upper flipper shot

If I were 6 years old, I'd go with Getaway because the toy is super cool, and viscerally makes me feel like something fast and powerful is happening -- it sounds great. My adult brain knows nothing is happening with it.

-mof

#14 6 years ago

There are 10 Getaway owners for every 7 High Speed owners.
note: Higher ownership wins every poll, since exposure = familiarity = a poll advantage.

So take your poll results with a grain of salt, and focus on what you read here, giving most relevance to results from people who have owned both.
-mof

#15 6 years ago

Owned both multiple times. Original much better due to spinners, retro sounds, side ramp, and backglass.

#16 6 years ago

Playfield alone I like High Speed better. I like the ramp with 2 exits and the spinner shots.
Software: there's more to do in HSII, and the supercharger is nice. Hard choice to make for me.

PS: You should buy a High Speed and P-ROC it with new software (I intend to do that one day ..... someday....I think..... )

#17 6 years ago

I have owned both. HS has been in my collection for 16 years. Just like m0vies the sequel is not as good. HS is a timeless classic. I enjoy the spinners more. I feel it is more challenging.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 20.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-vs-high-speed-ii?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.