62%
  • Niether, save your money 3 votes
    7%

(45 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

police-car-destroyed-by-criminal.jpg

#1 8 years ago

For my next machine I have options between these two titles but it is tough decision. They are the same price and both have significant playfield wear, def not CQ which is fine for my needs. The EBD needs a few minor touchups the HS worn almost to wood in a few spots and the HS background music is garbled/partially non existent.

But all things being equal ....which one would you buy and why?

I have played both for a few games and the background noise of ebd was kind of annoying, maybe for space invaders is ok but not for pinball, sorry don't mean to offend anyone. I know that can be turned off though. Really don't like the LE cabinet either, but trying to keep an open mind. Liked the numerous different shots.

I did not play either machine long enough to get and handle on that "one more game" factor ...was more distracted about what needed work, basic rulesets, and price haggling.

It's a bit of a toss up. I like the HS because it will fit well with my other sys 11's and does take me back to the arcade days of good times' never had a EBD in our arcade, so never had any time on it. I'm looking for a solid 80s title that is family and guest fun, easily playable and catchy. The EBD is that much older and I wonder about board components longevity and parts sources etc?

Maybe I should save my $$ a bit more and buy something like a funhouse, whirlwind or road show. ? Something just a bit newer? But I'd have to travel far and wide to get one. I am a novice but can troubleshoot and work on basic machine tech and board work.

I only have room for this one machine before the cursed "I'll have to sell one to make room" situation.

Keep in mind that there is zero game availability around these parts. When they do come up, you buy in present condition or not, no option to wait for another to show up. Not at all looking to flip either machine.

You advice to help me make a smart decision would be appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

O wow! Both are great games. I grew up with an 8 Ball Deluxe in my house! High Speed is an Awesome game as well. I feel Like EBD would be a bit simple for a 1 game room thought.

Honestly I would hold up and save a bit more for FH, WW or RS though as a 1 game room. Those games are much deeper and will keep you interested for longer. The HS will be very hard to sell later being as warn as it is.

JJ

#3 8 years ago

Both are great machines. I think 8 ball deluxe is the better of the two, as far as holding your interest long term.

High Speed is super nostalgic for me too, and it is a great game, so you'll win either way!

#4 8 years ago

EBD for me too for replayability. It has a lot going on for an early SS game and you're always left with that 'one more game' feeling.

HS is a great game, but I think it taps out pretty early for a Sys11. Now if you had said Getaway that would have been a different story.

#5 8 years ago

HS.

It would be a closer choice if the 8BD was in the original cabinet.

I love 8BD, but I think HS will provide a bit more adrenaline rush and one-more-game factor.

#7 8 years ago

Pass and save up for an EBD standard so you don't have to live with the ugliness of the LE!

#8 8 years ago

This machine (tbd) would be in between my Space Station, F14 and my 2 EMs.
Good feedback so far Thanks.

Has anyone owned both at the same time? Which one was the favourite for parties and such? I have read the review comments on these 2 and on ipdb ...maybe I should take a family vote..(I know what my wife will vote for!!).

#9 8 years ago

Whatever gets the family playing more is the best choice.
I think the EBD LE cabinet would add some nice variety with your em's and sys. 11's.
Guests will be drawn to its funkiness. I'm trying to see the positive!

#10 8 years ago

Even the Limited Edition EBD (the least-desirable of the three versions of the game) is far superior to High Speed.

If I could only have one machine in my collection it would be an EBD.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Even the Limited Edition EBD (the least-desirable of the three versions of the game) is far superior to High Speed.
If I could only have one machine in my collection it would be an EBD.

yep. i have had both. there is no comparison. high speed is a decent game but I walk away from it after a few games. ebd i can play all night long. it's that good

#12 8 years ago

Hmmm....I see car 504 disappearing into the dust....of....

EBD

#13 8 years ago

"This is 504"

police-car-destroyed-by-criminal.jpgpolice-car-destroyed-by-criminal.jpg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Hmmm....I see car 504 disappearing into the dust....of....
EBD

plus regarding respective value and availability? high speeds are all over the place all the time and you can get them cheap. Don't wait, act now! Who cares about the funky cabinet. PF is the same

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

"This is 504"

police-car-destroyed-by-criminal.jpg

LOL!!! That's a good one!
You and gate crasher sure are good champs of EBD, read a lot of gc's older posts about EBD doing my research and all...
Thanks for the advice
<beers>

#16 8 years ago

I own nice examples of both. They are both 2 of my favorites. It's a tough call. It depends when you ask me I could flip flop. Ebd is my favorite classic bally. HS scoring the jackpot is such a rush. Just get both. If it were an EBD in an original cabinet. That is no brainer much harder to find. Ebd is more challenging. If you get only get one I'd choose that if a gun were at my head. They are both permanent members in my collection.

#17 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe for sure. The LE cabinet is just a cabinet, if you care don't get it, if you don't then don't even worry about it. Same playfield either way.

High Speed is a sweet game, but for me at least it doesn't have the "one more game" appeal of Eight Ball Deluxe, which would entertain me for longer.

#18 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe LE. Maybe the greatest pin ever made.

High Speed is fun, but feels dated. EBD always feels like a brilliant game.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

It would be a closer choice if the 8BD was in the original cabinet.

Why?

#20 8 years ago

Total toss up. Both are readily available. Can't make a poor decision here.

How do you feel about multi-ball?

I'll always take a multi-ball game over a single ball game, my vote goes to High Speed. I prefer to get the game dynamics from EBD in other early Bally titles such as Embryon, Fathom, Centaur, Fireball II...

-mof

#21 8 years ago

"It would be a closer choice if the 8BD was in the original cabinet."

Because the backglass in the LE is truncated, it has crappy IDC connectors all in it and you're gonna have to buy the game again to get the full backglass and the LE version is harder to move and less desirable when it comes time to sell.

It just seemed to me the OP wasn't enamored with 8BD and might be happier with a game with more "bang for the buck": more speech, a ramp, multiball, flashers, alpha displays, jackpot, beacon...

#22 8 years ago

HS may be newer and more flash but EBD is the superior game. Lots of games, especially nowadays, have tons of flash and toys all over the place. Even so most of the time once you master the game it becomes redundant to play. EBD is one of those rare games that has very little to show for in terms of flash. However the shots are fun and challenging. It is brutal and playing it never gets redundant. Why? Because I almost certainly can guarantee you will not master this game. Consistently making stellar scores on EBD is nearly unheard of. It is extremely interactive. You CANNOT play well on EBD without really good nudging skills. Check out my game collection. I've got some cool titles and a good range of games. I've gotten consistently good at all of them except EBD. For some reason EBD is very hard yet not so hard that you don't want to keep trying. I have to constantly try hard to get good scores on EBD. My wife is more of a casual player but says EBD is usually the one she sneaks off to play when I am not there and it always makes her try again. Get the EBD. If you don't like it you can resell it quickly.

#23 8 years ago

In my collection of 200 games EBD is still the most played and it's been that way since 1981. In fact in the arcade where i worked (40+ pins) the EBD was the best earning game until Terminator 2 came around.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

"It would be a closer choice if the 8BD was in the original cabinet."

Because the backglass in the LE is truncated, it has crappy IDC connectors all in it and you're gonna have to buy the game again to get the full backglass and the LE version is harder to move and less desirable when it comes time to sell.
It just seemed to me the OP wasn't enamored with 8BD and might be happier with a game with more "bang for the buck": more speech, a ramp, multiball, flashers, alpha displays, jackpot, beacon...

Based off the condition he described for each and the fact that they are the same price, that leads me to believe they are both around 800-900. From what I have seen, EBDLE always commands a higher price than HS.

I don't think the OP should be worried about resale here, only gameplay.

#25 8 years ago

Nothing beats a finely tuned High Speed. That being said, I would love to own EBD as well.

#26 8 years ago

Get both!... You'll never regret it!

#27 8 years ago

To me this comes down to game play preference, HS flows soo nicely (it's an SR game!) whereas 8BD is more of a shooters game. Since you already have F14 the 8BD probably would offer more variety but if you like the fast flow of F14 you'll love HS!

#28 8 years ago

Wow. The plot thickens...lots of great feedback..thanks.
I do love the fast flow of F14 so Bob's comment above does make me lean back to HS.
I admit I do love the flashy gimmicks and call outs on my other sys 11s.

I'm a bit hung up on the le cabinet and working on the machine...more difficult access.
Not at all concerned about resale value, once I get a machine and start pouring my time into fixing it up it not going to leave for a long time. Ideally I'd just go and play each again but they are quite a ways way from me.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

For some reason EBD is very hard yet not so hard that you don't want to keep trying. I have to constantly try hard to get good scores on EBD. My wife is more of a casual player but says EBD is usually the one she sneaks off to play when I am not there and it always makes her try again.

This is basically the pitch I was trying to make in my "simple games" thread. Hard games that you can't just master and feel bored with, but that you want to keep trying to do better on.

#30 8 years ago

Tough call right there...2 classics. Comes down to speed for you; can;t help you here.

#31 8 years ago

I traded an EBD LE with a blown-out playfield last weekend, and it moved faster than any DMD game I've ever let go. THAT says something to me.

#32 8 years ago

I have thumbs up'ed all the comments above that reflect how I also feel about EBD. Yes, the LE cabinet would bug me but you don't play the cabinet. And I don't see how its any harder to work on once you go through all your displays.

I am a BIG SR flow fan but have to say, HS is so dated now. Playing it at shows just bores me. Red-Yellow-Green, lock, lock repeat..... Games in collections these days are fast and strong (not like back in the day on location) so the ramp is not all that hard to get once you get the timing down. Almost turns into a one shot game - well, two shots anyway: Shoot the right eject hole to set up the flipper shot for the ramp. Yes, the Jackpot light show is cool but doesn't compare to the triple knocks of spelling D-E-L-U-X-E on the backglass of EBD. And you have the HS light show on Crack in your F-14 Tomcat.

For me, EBD will certainly be the last SS to leave my collection.

IF the playfield is blown out, you can easily get a screened mylar from Fabulous Fantasies for around $250 to cover up the damage (after proper prep and clear coating). Many games had factory mylar anyway when we were playing on location so the "feel" should not bother you too much as compared to looking at chipped inserts or bare wood. Or, touch it up a bit and enjoy it as-is.

#33 8 years ago

No question EBD is the better of the two. I have owned two EBD-LE and a HS.

The cabinet is not that bad on the LE, not a problem to work on. Not fun to move through tight turns in hallways but otherwise not a problem.

EBD is just a much more enjoyable pin to play. Lots of drop targets, easy to explain ruleset that my guests quickly get. Yes, the background sound is bad, I turn it off. I like early SS pins and EM pins, so not having background sound is fine with me, it encourages me to hit more targets to keep the "atmosphere" sounding right.

HS looks great, sounds great, and makes you feel like the man when the "chase" is going on with the siren and dome light going but it gets boring so quickly. What is there to do in HS? Shoot the ramp over and over again. Either you get good with the upper flipper and get a great score for doing the same shot over and over again or you can't hit the upper ramp and your game goes nowhere.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is basically the pitch I was trying to make in my "simple games" thread. Hard games that you can't just master and feel bored with, but that you want to keep trying to do better on.

Yep. Right on the mark Aurich. Paragon is another one. I am currently looking for one to put next to EBD.

Put it this way about EBD. I bought an LE with a playfield that is worn, not too bad, but it is there. Overpaid for it as a matter of fact. But they don't come for sale in any condition very often. However another one came up even closer to me that was an original white cab. playfield is original and 9.9/10 because whoever owned it (probably originally) put a full sheet of mylar on the entire playfield except where the shooter lane is cut out. So I'm sitting on two of them. The LE didn't bother me one bit because hell man I got to own an EBD!!! Currently I'm fixing up the LE somewhat before I move it. I just hate to pass it to someone else knowing the flippers need rebuilding and a couple of other issues. I'm even toying with the idea of touching up the playfield.

Sorry to hijack. Stop talking and start chalking! Get the EBDLE and you won't be sorry.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

does make me lean back to HS.
I admit I do love the flashy gimmicks and call outs on my other sys 11s.

duuuuude.... step away from the hs bong. just go get the ebd and be done with this silly discussion

#36 8 years ago

Owned HS and currently own EBD. Cannot go wrong. To me both games are very fun and keep me pressing start again and again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Francisco, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-vs-8-ball-deluxe-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.