Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8AB9A35B-9FF5-4157-8CFF-4E43216FDEEA (resized).jpeg

#1 8 months ago

picked up a High Speed about a month ago that was literally about to go in a dumpster. So $800 in parts later I have a 99% functioning game that surprisingly looks pretty good and plays great. The ONLY issue is the upper flipper does not work.

New flipper board, new flipper assembly, coil is getting power, coil fires when shorted, tested continuity to the cabinet flipper switch and test good, cleaned cabinet switches, etc....

Kind of out of ideas at this point.

#2 8 months ago

Does the power daisy chain off the bottom flipper?

Maybe check that out ...

Try jumpering the EOS switch too ... to rule that out.

rd

#4 8 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

it does, checked all that.

Jumpered the flipper switch?

Coil and EOS wired correctly?

All simple stuff ... but worth double checking.

Here’s my upper flipper wiring.

Your new coil has 1x diode like this one?

rd

8AB9A35B-9FF5-4157-8CFF-4E43216FDEEA (resized).jpeg
#5 8 months ago

so its getting power, you've confirmed that, functions when you ground it out...have you checked the continuity of the ground return to the J19 pins on the CPU Board from the flipper coil ground?

#6 8 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

so its getting power, you've confirmed that, functions when you ground it out...have you checked the continuity of the ground return to the J19 pins on the CPU Board from the flipper coil ground?

Have not, will do asap

#7 8 months ago

I would put one end of my DMM on J19- pin 1 the other to the blk/yw wire on the coil and press the right side switch...should have continuity...as should the lower flipper wire blu/violet. If no continuity work your way back. I had thought the grounds connected to each other, but I believe I was thinking of the power wires for the Right flipper.

#8 8 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I would put one end of my DMM on J19- pin 1 the other to the blk/yw wire on the coil and press the right side switch...should have continuity...as should the lower flipper wire blu/violet. If no continuity work your way back. I had thought the grounds connected to each other, but I believe I was thinking of the power wires for the Right flipper.

done this morning and tested good. I also grounded the black/yellow wire at the cabinet switch and coil fired.

It will just not work during game

#9 8 months ago

Hmm Its possible that the lower flipper switch is making the ground connection as that is working properly thus giving a good continuity reading . Some how that coil ground is not getting to ground...follow that wire back and in the mean time I'll take a look at my machine tomorrow morning and see where it goes.

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Hmm Its possible that the lower flipper switch is making the ground connection as that is working properly thus giving a good continuity reading . Some how that coil ground is not getting to ground...follow that wire back and in the mean time I'll take a look at my machine tomorrow morning and see where it goes.

Both Right flippers use the same ground lead ORG/VIO back to the MPU 1J19 pin 1. Since the right Lower flipper is operating that eliminates the ground wire as the fault.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/57#post-5277042

#11 8 months ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Both Right flippers use the same ground lead ORG/VIO back to the MPU 1J19 pin 1. Since the right Lower flipper is operating that eliminates the ground wire as the fault.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/57#post-5277042

it eliminates the portion from the flipper switch to the MPU, but I'm guessing there is an issue at the switch

#12 8 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

it eliminates the portion from the flipper switch to the MPU, but I'm guessing there is an issue at the switch

Yea, that is my thought as well. It is the only remaining part that is in the circuit that remains.

#13 8 months ago

The flipper button has two sets of contacts...most likely the plunger in the second set of contacts is broken for the upper flipper. To confirm, swap the wires on the flipper button and see if the upper flipper starts to work.

#14 8 months ago

jumpered the cabinet switch lugs and started game and upper flipper fired and held. Ordered a new switch.

Thanks everyone!!

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

jumpered the cabinet switch lugs and started game and upper flipper fired and held. Ordered a new switch.
Thanks everyone!!

It’s usually something simple.

rd

#16 8 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It’s usually something simple.
rd

always, I should have known. The thing was a train wreck when I got it and had some pretty serious issues. I fix them all and let a $5 switch kick me in the balls.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 17.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Massapequa, NY
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside