• Latest reply 4 years ago by MJW
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E015DDA4-AF52-4E7E-8CBD-7E304ADA3E93 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I have a High Speed in which the upper right flipper is VERY slow and has no power to it. If touched it drops back down.
I have repinned the J19 connector, Tested and then replaced the coil, Replaced the EOS and tested, bypassed and hooked back up the flipper button switch.
The flipper bat has been replaced and spaced properly, the bushing has also been replaced. Plunger doesn't seem to be in bad condition..

I know I am missing something, but I am just not seeing the problem.

Any thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

If it is stays in the up position when game is turned off it’s a mechanical issue.You said if touched it goes back down..while game is off or on??

#3 4 years ago

No, when off it goes down. It you let go of the button it drops. That is fine.
But it moves VERY slowly going up, and if any pressure is put on the flipper at all, even while the button is held in, it will drop.
The other two flippers work perfectly after receiving mostly the same work.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

No, when off it goes down. It you let go of the button it drops. That is fine.
But it moves VERY slowly going up, and if any pressure is put on the flipper at all, even while the button is held in, it will drop.
The other two flippers work perfectly after receiving mostly the same work.

It’s sounds like an EOS holding problem...lift up the playfield slightly and hit that flipper button and keep and eye and see if the EOS switch is holding and the blades are properly gapped

#5 4 years ago

The EOS is brand new and properly gapped.

I think I’m not describing the issue correctly so I made a video.

This is one of the worst condition pins I have ever owned. But this is the last major issue to fix, before I can order a hardtop for it.

#6 4 years ago

The coil might not be getting high voltage. There could be a break in continuity somewhere. See if you can trace the wire back to the flipper switch and to the flipper power supply.

You could probably test that theory by using a jumper wire with alligator clips from the banded side of the upper flipper coil to the banded side of another flipper coil.

#7 4 years ago

Ok reflow some fresh solder on the coil lugs for that flipper...let’s see... also sometimes the coil sleeve could be the wrong one place in there but try soldering first

#8 4 years ago

I can come take a look at it with you if you want.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Ok reflow some fresh solder on the coil lugs for that flipper...let’s see... also sometimes the coil sleeve could be the wrong one place in there but try soldering first

Well, he replaced the coil, so presumably it's fresh solder.

Although, it might be a good idea to trim back the wire, if it looks a little gnarly. Sometimes continuity can be a problem if it's been soldered/desoldered a hundred times. It's also sometimes possible that there is a break right near where the insulation ends.

#10 4 years ago

When you replaced the EOS is it wired in the right direction.
Hold and stroke reversed. And the diode correctly?

#11 4 years ago

Yea, pretty much everything is new, except the plunger and the spring. Both seem to be in good shape.
The jumper from coil to coil is a good idea! I hadn't tried that. Let me see what happens.

#12 4 years ago

Ok, well, jumpering it off the left flipper, makes no change. So the only thing I can think of, is coil issue. I have a handful more, I will swap it out again and see if maybe I just happened to get my hands on a defective one. It ohms out fine, but who knows.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

When you replaced the EOS is it wired in the right direction.
Hold and stroke reversed. And the diode correctly?

Well, It is replaced exactly as it was. I will have to break out the manual to verify it is correct. But there is no diode on that switch.

#14 4 years ago

As it sits now.

E015DDA4-AF52-4E7E-8CBD-7E304ADA3E93 (resized).jpegE015DDA4-AF52-4E7E-8CBD-7E304ADA3E93 (resized).jpeg
#15 4 years ago

Just checked the manual... Yep it is backwards

Never trust that a broken machine was assembled correctly.....

#16 4 years ago

Also check that the brand new EOS is actually clean. I installed a brand new one in a high-speed that had some sort of oil from the factory on it. Dead flipper. Worked fine after cleaning the switch.

#17 4 years ago

Hahahaha! She lives! Thank you all!

#18 4 years ago

The coil itself might have problems soon sitting how it is. Soldered end is against the stops instead of the plunger side.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

The coil itself might have problems soon sitting how it is. Soldered end is against the stops instead of the plunger side.

He’s right. You should flip it around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-upper-flipper-in-slow-motion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.