Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Crowquill
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

37890688_10215331118063793_5081015850983489536_n (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

I'm pretty experienced with arcade games, but I'm a pinball newbie. It's a bit overwhelming to jump into, but I'm loving every minute of it.

I did some searching but haven't found anything that specifically sounds like this.

I replaced the top flipper and now it only fires (and is weak) when I hold in the button. I'm assuming this means only the weaker coil is firing. I took pics of the old wiring to make sure they went back the way they came, but I don't know if they were right to start with. Is it just wired backwards? Faulty EOS switch? Faulty coil? I just need to figure out what to check for next.

#2 5 months ago

It's probably wired incorrectly. Double check your wiring. I usually use the other flippers as a reference. You're right in your assumption that only the hold coil is firing from the symptoms. Make sure your EOS is adjusted correctly also.

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

It's probably wired incorrectly. Double check your wiring. I usually use the other flippers as a reference. You're right in your assumption that only the hold coil is firing from the symptoms. Make sure your EOS is adjusted correctly also.

Yes, I'm thinking the EOS switch on that coil is permanently closed. Needs to be closed at resting position and needs about a 1/16" gap when the flipper button is pushed in.

1 month later
#4 3 months ago

Finally got back to working on High Speed. Wiring all seems to be fine and EOS has a gap once the coil is open. Thinking that maybe the new coil was bad I bought another and I've got the exact same results (never hurts to have a spare anyway). Feel free to criticize my wiring in the attached pic.

I forgot my meter to be able to check, but I'm wondering if voltage isn't the issue due to a bad transistor. But now I can't find which transistor corresponds to that flipper. I found the chart in the manual but there is no transistor number in the column for the upper flipper.

What should I check next? Please be kind to the newbie

37890688_10215331118063793_5081015850983489536_n (resized).jpg
#5 3 months ago

There aren't transistors for the flipper coils on that era machine. The leaf switches on the flipper buttons directly close the circuit of the 50VDC coil voltage to ground.

#6 3 months ago

That makes a lot more sense. Got a PM recommending I clean the EOS contacts, so I'll try that this weekend.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Shepherdstown, WV
$ 164.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside