Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Ok so I'm stumped on this one. Here's what happens and what I've done so far.

1. Coin up game
2. Press Start
3. Game goes into tilt and kicks out ball
4. Plunge ball and once it goes to the outhole the game cycles to the next ball and goes to tilt as soon as the ball is kicked out
5. Game over

What I've done so far.
Tested all tilt switches using switch edge test. All tilt switches operate properly. (slam, bob, ball roll, PF)
Ran switch status test to see if any tilt switches were active. All tested ok.
Isolated the problem to the MPU by removing the switch connectors and shorting out the trough switches to trick the game into thinking there were balls then shorted the credit button to get the game to start and it does the exact same thing with going into tilt.
This leads me to believe it's an issue on the board. I did some reading about faulty resistor packs so I ohmed out the circuit responsible for the tilt switches and everything checked out within spec.
I decided to replace the PIA at U38 thinking maybe it was kinda flaky and that had no impact.
At this point I'm stumped as the switch test looks fine.

Should I just go ahead and order new resistor packs and replace them? I hate shot gunning parts as that's not typically how I do things.
Anyone have any ideas?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I did some reading about faulty resistor packs so I ohmed out the circuit responsible for the tilt switches and everything checked out within spec.

I have done this too, then after desoldering the resistor pack found it was cracked in two pieces. I would check 1J10 header pins (connector off) for 5 volts on all pin except pin 4. Any funny readings then replace SR-11. I would also just replace SRC-6 as its know for causing tilts.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks - I went ahead and ordered all the resistor packs listed in the system 11 bulletproofing thread. Figured I might as well replace them if I pull the board out again since it seems like a common failure point. I'll check the voltages tonight.

#4 6 years ago

Replaced all the resistor packs in the bullet proofing thread. Reflowed solder on all headers. Still tilting. I pulled the roms to verify them and I think that's the issue. One of them failed verification. I've got my fingers crossed it erases and lets me reprogram it as I don't have any roms laying around.

#5 6 years ago

Are you absolutely sure none of the tilt switches are closed?

I had this exact same problem on my Pinbot just today and it happened after I was working on the left flipper. I had accidentally bent that tilt switch closed that is on the playfield next to that flipper.

#6 6 years ago

Ok so the Rom didn't fix it. It was bad anyway so I guess there was no harm in replacing it. The actual rom chip was faulty so I ended up finding another 27c256 laying around that I used. I'm stumped now.

Quoted from AMBoggs:

Are you absolutely sure none of the tilt switches are closed?
I had this exact same problem on my Pinbot just today and it happened after I was working on the left flipper. I had accidentally bent that tilt switch closed that is on the playfield next to that flipper.

Yeah I'm sure. I've done a switch test and verified all tilt switches work I've also shaken the crap out of the game. Then I pulled the actual switch connectors and manually started a game with the whole switch matrix disconnected and it still does it. It is definitely something on the board.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do next?

#7 6 years ago

Diodes on the switch matrix may be the next place to look.

I came acros this thread when looking at what was going wrong with my Pinbot.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-randomly-tilting-all-data-lost

#8 6 years ago

Have you checked the outputs of U-39 and U-30 with 1J8 and 1J10 disconnected.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

Diodes on the switch matrix may be the next place to look.
I came acros this thread when looking at what was going wrong with my Pinbot.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-randomly-tilting-all-data-lost

It happens when the switch matrix is disconnected from the board.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you checked the outputs of U-39 and U-30 with 1J8 and 1J10 disconnected.

No I'll check that next. I measured the voltage on the MPU and I'm getting 4.9 v. I ordered new caps for the board as they're original and should be replaced anyway. Is 4.9 too low?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Is 4.9 too low?

What are you getting at the power supply TP-1.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What are you getting at the power supply TP-1.

5.0v

#12 6 years ago

That seems fine. Check the outputs of U30 and U39.

#13 6 years ago

is there a rolover switch shorting in the shooter lane
i had that on a ramp in one of my pins once caused a tilt when activated

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That seems fine. Check the outputs of U30 and U39.

They tested fine.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

They tested fine

But did you start a game by running a jumper across j8 and j10 connectors to act like a credit button.
Then check the outputs to see if any of them changed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-tilts-as-soon-as-a-ball-is-kicked-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.