• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190901_095815 (resized).jpg
williams-system-11a-cpu-mpu-pcb-board_1_204f12f98cb5a3377b8c7931ae400ed2 (resized).jpg
download (resized).png
Screenshot_20190817-085405 (resized).png
94c9f0153c83055337fadb4e57b41385 (resized).jpg
williams-system-11a-cpu-mpu-pcb-board_1_204f12f98cb5a3377b8c7931ae400ed2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20190817-085405 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PINTEC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

Hi thanks for responding to this thread! I would appreciate all the help I can get!
I have tried wiggling both connectors and I even disconnected the J6 connector to see if anything looked suspicious and reseated it and still the row won't light.
I've looked at wires underneath the playfield following the red/green wire to all of the sockets and nothing looked broken.
I took Grumpy's advice earlier in the thread and tried to figure out which diodes/resistors/transistors went to row 5. I know Q84 is connected and I it looked to me like D12 and D13 were also. I did some DMM testing on those parts in circuit (which I am still learning and didn't test anything yet out of circuit because I have never soldered anything before) and D12 was the only part that produced suspicious readings. With the black lead on the stripe side all of the diodes were testing 0.596, but D12 was testing 2.4. I understand from doing a lot of reading, you tube videos and other threads that testing in circuit isn't reliable, but they were all (diodes, resistors, transistors) producing similar results except that diode so I figured I would start there unless you have some other advice or things to test.

Test a dead string of lamps/temporally turn them on :
Remove the ROW plug take the key out and shift the plug one pin over to inject any of the working 7 signals into the dead string to rule out a broken wire on playfield .

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

That's a good idea, thank you so much!
This is all great information, I really appreciate it.
I will have time tomorrow to shift j6 over a pin and then do further tests on D-12 if need be.
Seriously, you guys rock!

Playfield row 5 wiring tested working:

In lamp test go to PIA 54 where Row 5 signal begins, check for a moving signal at output Pin 6 then at IC U56 Pin 1 and 2 using a logic probe.
if signals present replace Q 84 If no signal is present then the signal must be confirmed before moving to D12 and R13 as Signal must be present at U56 Pin 2 for the Row to operate.
williams-system-11a-cpu-mpu-pcb-board_1_204f12f98cb5a3377b8c7931ae400ed2 (resized).jpgwilliams-system-11a-cpu-mpu-pcb-board_1_204f12f98cb5a3377b8c7931ae400ed2 (resized).jpg

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Playfield row 5 wiring tested working:
In lamp test go to PIA 54 where Row 5 signal begins, check for a moving signal at output Pin 6 then at IC U56 Pin 1 and 2 using a logic probe.
if signals present replace Q 84 If no signal is present then the signal must be confirmed before moving to D12 and R13 as Signal must be present at U56 Pin 2 for the Row to operate If Its Missing then problem must be found before proceeding.
[quoted image]

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

I have a logic probe arriving on Monday. I've never used a logic probe before, can you instruct me as to where's the best place to put the negative and positive leads?

94c9f0153c83055337fadb4e57b41385 (resized).jpg94c9f0153c83055337fadb4e57b41385 (resized).jpg
#25 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

[quoted image]

Connect a logic probe to these locations.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

I received my logic probe today so I am ready to start testing.
I have some questions before I start:
What logic family should I use to test both PIA U54 and IC U56? CMOS OR TTL?
Should I be in ALL lamp test, or attract mode?
Will there be any problems since D12 has already been removed from the circuit?

Check Signals in Lamp Test:
In lamp flash test go to PIA 54 where Row 5 signal begins, check for a moving signal at output Pin 6 then at IC U56 Pin 1 and 2

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).pngwilliams-system-11a-cpu-mpu-pcb-board_1_204f12f98cb5a3377b8c7931ae400ed2 (resized).jpgwilliams-system-11a-cpu-mpu-pcb-board_1_204f12f98cb5a3377b8c7931ae400ed2 (resized).jpg
#36 4 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

Since I need to replace D12 to finish testing, I better brush up on my solder skills. I have some practice kits I'm going to use, and I'm still chugging through Terryb's solder guide, (and logic probe guide).
Grumpy and Pintec, I appreciate your help and especially your patience as I make my way to the end of this particular problem. I'll get back to you guys once I get D12 replaced.

Aside from the diode testing/soldering which will not affect the signal test, now if there isn't any problems found with Diodes Resistors,Transistors,Scr's, without the vital signal coming out of pin 2 of u56 the row will not function.
Suggest checking and confirm if needed signals are present by placing the tip of the logic probe on pins 1 and 2 on U56 in while lamp flash test is running.

You may verify what working signals will look like on pins 3 and 4 known functioning input/output on u56 in lamp flash test mode because that's what can be used for a reference to what 1 and 2 must look like.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

While in attract mode, with probe set to TTL and also set to pulse, I checked PIA 54 pin 6 and there was a signal. (I should note that after watching videos of most probes clearly displaying an arrow or light reading of low or high and making a sound that is either low or high, my probe looked and sounded like it was doing both, making a screeching sound.) Whether or not it was reading the right signal, there was definitely a signal.
I moved on to IC U56 pin 1 and 2, and there was a signal at both of those pins, similar in look and sound to PIA 54. Just to make sure I tested IC U56 3 and 4 and they produced similar results.

The signal will be high and it will be pulled low momentarily switching back to high.

Signal good:

Change Q84

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PINTEC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-system-11-lamp-matrix-row-completely-out?tu=PINTEC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.