7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160806_111851_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nighthawk128.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

From the video, has anyone seen the cycling of numbers on the score board like this? Seems like a reset but the board itself isn't booting still as well. I'm sure there are a few bad PIA's but the 7 segment display doesn't display anything. Wondering if I need to target Cmos, Cpu, pia, ram or a particular IC in your experience.

One day it wouldn't boot which is what prompted looking really close at the board, it's clean, aluminum caps replaced, voltage is great since the power board was refurbed with the recommended upgrades (ie 91V score power) and caps.

Video here!

#3 7 years ago

Thank you for reply Cody, I'll unplug 1J14 and see if the result changes if not that could narrow down U38 PIA.

#5 7 years ago

Button broken, thanks guys. Going to send board away for repair. K1 (Flipper enable relay) activates immediately on start up and most concerning is a blank 7 segment display. The display works.

I socketed a few Pias (U41 and U51) and used some taken from an old data east board to miss match some. No change but I noticed which ones were bad using them in U41 since that has a hand in the score display, the display wouldn't work. I don't have the means to test Pias so have to ship it out.

Thanks guys!

#10 7 years ago

Thanks guys, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Digikey and made sure to include those fuses. I used the solderlug version but real easy to install except the part of removing solder from the rectifiers spade connectors, that was a pain. Vid1900 has a excellent write up here ->

Quoted from vid1900:

Oftentimes it is good to look at a schematic to see, in theory, what a mod is going to do.
Here we are going to interrupt two circuits:
The 13.5v Lamp Rectifier
and
The 25.5v Solenoid Rectifier.

But while your at it, replace all the lamp matrix transistors on one side. Here is a list of digikey part numbers, I also order capacitors to replace all the aluminum caps on mpu and power board. (the lights were nice and bright afterwards)

FQP17P06 - Mosfet Q51-Q66 Lamp x8 (you can remove those hot resistors after installing these, have to jump them though)
F1497 Fuse Block 24v/12v x2
1N4763 PB-ZR2/4 Zener 91V x2 (this is for the power board to reduce your score voltage from 100 to 91V)
39KZCT PB-R1/4 39K Ohm x2 (Flame proof; again for power board and the score display area)
EB1094 Rosin Braid (you'll need a bunch of desoldering braid if you don't have a vac unit..)

I used a 7 amp sb fuse since I needed some for newer williams games that call out 7.5Amps, the rest of my digikey order was IC's, IC sockets and a lot of capacitors.

The board has excellent potential, I removed battery holder and it's clean.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

get NVRAM installed as well. Any MPU i repair includes installing one.

You do board repairs? I shot gunned a few components and realize at this point without test equipment I'm wasting my time and not moving forward at all. I think the nvram is a great idea and looks not much more then a 2.2F x 5.5V supercap (digikey# 399-10814-ND). Let me know.

IMG_20160806_111851_(resized).jpgIMG_20160806_111851_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nighthawk128.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-sys11-booting-problem?tu=Nighthawk128 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.