• Latest reply 1 year ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PinBot_-_U45_(resized).jpg
PinBot_-_3J6_PS_Connection_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

you have a switch matrix problem.

This is an 11 system so the switch matrix is only for scoring, not for driving the coil as these are Special solenoids and they have direct switch inputs to the the pre driver and driver. I think there maybe a ground wire problem somewhere as they are jumpered from switch to switch to flasher board to switch and so on.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from KubaKuba:

I have done what I can

All 6 special solenoids have a switch that fires the coil and a second switch that scores points. Since all six are affected at the same time I would remove the CPU board and check the back side of 1J18 pin 6 and 7 for cracks solder joints. This is the start of the ground wire that feeds all the switches and flasher boards. Add some flux and reflow the solder.

#9 8 years ago

I am sorry as I gave you some bad advise in my last post. This all would be true for a Grand Lizard but Williams made a change on High Speed.
1. The wire in question is white instead of black.
2. This white wire daisy chains from one special solenoid to the next special solenoid but it doesn't go to the flasher resistor boards as it does on GL.
3. The white wire doesn't go back to the CPU 1J18 pin 6 and 7 it goes to the power supply 3J6 pin 14 which is still ground. Why Williams moved it from one ground to a different ground is beyond me. I didn't want you looking for a wire that wasn't there, sorry for the confusion. So instead of removing the CPU, now remove the power supply and check for cracked solder joints on 3J6 pin 14.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from KubaKuba:

My schematic is showing 3J6 Pin 14 as N/C

This is where some confusion starts as page 50 of the manual shows pin 14 as N/C. Page 47 of the same manual show it has a white wire on it. But I checked my machine I own to make sure it was connected before I posted it this time.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from KubaKuba:

I was looking at the logic and see that the only common denominator between the SS is the U49.

You are correct, but before you go that direction you should double check the switch grounding wire. I have found that type of chip normally is bad or good and not intermittent. You can run a jumper wire from the white wire on the kicker switch to the ground braid in the cabinet. This will bypass both connectors on the wiring loom and if it quits then, its a logic issue.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from KubaKuba:

I have been playing and I have not had an issue. I must be up to about 5 games.

Then play the crap out of it.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from KubaKuba:

How do you feel about the LED conversion kits?

Never owned one so I'm no help.

3 weeks later
#22 8 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

Should I give reflowing that 3J6 connection a shot?

Yes you may have a cracked header pin solder joint.

Quoted from mskoenen:But mine do not trigger in the coil test

You need to check U49 with a logic probe.

Quoted from mskoenen:I'm not sure if that makes a difference

No it doesn't matter.

Quoted from mskoenen:my schematic shows 3J6 14 as a black wire

Williams changed back to black again.

6 years later
#24 1 year ago
Quoted from songbird:

I have a WMS High Speed and this exact behavior happens to my machine intermittently where the L/R kickers and three jet bumpers either all work or none do. Because of this thread, I tried nudging the power supply connector with 3J6 pin 14 and that immediately made everything work again. I haven't resoldered the pin yet, but at least now I know where the problem is. Thanks, Grumpy!

PLAYBALL!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-special-solenoid-work-intermittently?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.