Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

216501.jpg
212294-i.jpg
psuconnector.jpg
quickfixes.jpg
displayproblem.jpg
HSboard.jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

wayout440...... thank you soooooooo much for clearing that up for me. it has been lingering in my mind ever since i got the machine. Really, thank you for the confirmation.

Bobnatlanta, are you referring to the ribbon cable from the CPU to the sound board? the only other ribbon cable in the machine that i see runs from the CPU to the display board... how would i go about jumping the pins to each other? Do i use multiple wires with special connectors ? i really wouldn't want to use alligator clips (would i ? ) due to the potential for possibly shorting one out to another. Once again, i am new to this and am limited in my technical terminology for now. I may even be calling the MPU the CPU and not even realizing it. but i am referring to the largest of the boards in the machine. It has a ribbon cable that goes to the sound board. It is rather short, about 5-6 inches long in total. Is that the cable you are speaking of? If so, how would you recommend i try jumping CPU pins to Sound board pins, safely.

Thank you , you guys. I was really about to lose faith in this site and really didn't know where to turn besides sending it out for service, which i really didn't want to do. I am willing to do the work and i am not looking to be spoon fed info. Just pointing me in the right direction with some tips and i will do the rest.

thanks again. seriously.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Metalman247:

I may even be calling the MPU the CPU and not even realizing it. but i am referring to the largest of the boards in the machine.

It's referred to as any of those: MPU, CPU, System board, mainbord. Or, just as the big ass board.

#53 9 years ago

Yes, that's the connection I'm talking about - MPU/CPU (I use the terms interchangeably) to sound board just above. I cannot recall if this was a bundle of wires or a ribbon connector, but I think it was just 3 wires. I picked up some alligator jumpers that have plastic 'hoods' on them at Radio Shack. Once clipped, you can slide the hood over the clip to prevent any shorting between clips. Just make sure you are connecting the correct pins.

I went through everything you've done, even to the point of sending my sound board out for professional repair. The sound board was returned with no faults. Turned out to be the 'easiest' thing. Good Luck!

#54 9 years ago

ok, bobnatlanta. I think i know the 3 wires you are talking about... they are red, white and black... i am going to get some small, shielded, alligator clips and make some jumpers. I just started up the game and i manipulated the wires a bit more aggressively than i did before and for a split second, (and i mean a SPLIT second) something happened with the sound then it went back to squeeling. The split second was not enough to tell if it made the sound better... but, it reacted to the stimulus. So, you just may have pointed me in the right direction. I will be sure to return with my findings.

Thank you very much.

Post edited by Metalman247: including more info

#55 9 years ago

Hi again, sorry for not answering before but I am just checking my old threads once in a while. Anyway, lets hope you figure it out! I can only confirm that what your friend said about the circuit being under load is correct. Therefore the voltage is a bit higher when you measure it. But, you allready got an answer to that

Keep your patience up and you will be able to solve anything!

8 years later
#56 1 year ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

remote sound board is only there for the background music. The bong is the remote sound board.
The rest of the sounds, sound samples and speech are generated on the MPU board by 2 different chips. There is a chip for the electronic sound effects and a different chip for sound samples(crashing sounds and speech.) The amplifier is also on the MPU board.
If you run through the sound test and some of the effects are at regular volume and some are at a low volume then 1 of the 2 sound circuits on the MPU has an issue, most likely a pre-amp
Likely if it's speech and samples then I would place my money on the following chips. Try replacing the 1458 op-amp at U4 ($0.50 chip can find it a greatplainselectronics) and if it's still not fixed then it's likely a problem with the 55536 CVSD chip at U3 ($10+ and harder to find, try arcadechips.com)

I know this is a very old post, but it's very close to my problem, I think.

This was a very specific recommendation and I'm not clear if applies to my problem. specifically please check my post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-sound-effects-1-3-amp-5-produce-nothing and tell me if you think the U4 or U3 chips may be my problem. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-sound-problemsys-11-cpu-sound-test/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.