Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

216501.jpg
212294-i.jpg
psuconnector.jpg
quickfixes.jpg
displayproblem.jpg
HSboard.jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hi all!

I am about to fix up my high speed that is working fairly well concidering its condition (very dusty and a lot of corosion, mainly on the coin door).

Anyway, i thought I were missing some sounds. The speech, the car engine sound, crash sound and tyres screeching. That from when i did a quick initial game to see what was not working.

Today i decided to investigate it a bit more so i went into music test and sound test from the coin door interface.
All sounds and music played from that test however, the sounds i thought i was missing played at very low volume! (they probably got drenched in the music so thats why i thought they were missing) Really different from the other sounds like the music etc.

Ive read the sounds on this machine are played from different sources, some from the sound board and some from the cpu board. So i thought that maybe there were two different controls for the sounds. I have found one to the left inside the cabinet and it affects the music etc but not the speach and "missing" sounds.

On the sound board there are no volume adjuster though it looks its possible to install one since something similar is pictured on the board in white. (See picture at the end of post)

I then proceeded with pressing the SW1 for sound test on the CPU board as described in the manual (from attract mode). The game gave off a sound that i can describe similar to a police siren, like a sine wave where it goes from high to low and back and forth.

The main question i have here is what this mean? What kind of sound should be heard from pressing this button on the CPU board?

Some more info,

When i got the game it always displayed the factory settings restored message even though there were batteries in (4,6VDC i measured) so i poked around a bit with the battery holder and it seem it is pretty dodgy, sometimes work and sometimes not. Now it keeps the settings and goes directly to attract mode when booting. BUT, the startup sound bong is now gone... it was there before!
I can also mention that pressing the CPU test button on the CPU board, for the blanking circuit, gives an "8" on the display on the board and then back to the "0" that should indicate that it boots up normal and is not malfunctioning.

So, to summarize:

1. Is it possible to get a higher volume on the speech and crash sounds, like with some adjustment?

2. What should be heard when pressing the sound test button on the CPU board? If what i hear is not normal, any ideas of what it means?

The missing sound bong might have something to do with bad connections etc. so I will try to clean all the connectors and see what happens. Allthough all sound should be gone if the speaker connectors are bad...

HSboard.jpgHSboard.jpg

#2 10 years ago

remote sound board is only there for the background music. The bong is the remote sound board.

The rest of the sounds, sound samples and speech are generated on the MPU board by 2 different chips. There is a chip for the electronic sound effects and a different chip for sound samples(crashing sounds and speech.) The amplifier is also on the MPU board.

If you run through the sound test and some of the effects are at regular volume and some are at a low volume then 1 of the 2 sound circuits on the MPU has an issue, most likely a pre-amp

Likely if it's speech and samples then I would place my money on the following chips. Try replacing the 1458 op-amp at U4 ($0.50 chip can find it a greatplainselectronics) and if it's still not fixed then it's likely a problem with the 55536 CVSD chip at U3 ($10+ and harder to find, try arcadechips.com)

#3 10 years ago

Hi! Wow, that was very specific! I Will have a look and see if replacing the chips will make any difference. I might check the board for bad connections too before doing it because the battery holder has unstable connections and there might be more of them. Especially since the sound bong mysteriously disappeared...

Thanks for your answer! I'll try and see what I find.

/andy

#4 10 years ago

Another question, that "picture" on the board that I circled above, has that anything to do at all with sound adjusting? I mean it just look like it could picture a potentiometer of some sort. Could have been used in other games/setups? Or is it just me...

#5 10 years ago

I had some issues on mine last year also and I ended up sending the board off for repair after putting in new chips did not help. It was an easy fix for someone who knows what they're doing, which I do not. I hope you are successful with your fix.

#6 10 years ago

I have limited experience in board repairs but managed to fix a wpc cpu board, still learning. I will not stop this until its fixed =)

Will try to do it without shot-gunning it but rather take it slowly and find the culprit of the problem. I will report back as soon as I have any solutions or other findings. Would be a good resource if someone else have similar problems.

#7 10 years ago

BTW, does anyone know what HS should sound like when pressing the CPU board sound test button? I get some sound but dont know if its the right one or an error code or something... like a sine wave from low to high (police siren style).

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRingMaster:

Another question, that "picture" on the board that I circled above, has that anything to do at all with sound adjusting? I mean it just look like it could picture a potentiometer of some sort. Could have been used in other games/setups? Or is it just me...

Your background sound board was only used in High Speed and Grand Lizard. The next Sys11 game, Road Kings, used a different sound board altogether for background music. None of these machines had volume adjustments on the sound boards. I suspect that Williams put a place to install an adjustment pot since they had one on the speech boards in previous systems but figured out along the way they didn't need it. No need to think about populating this. Kris' suggestions above are your best course of action here.

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TheRingMaster:

BTW, does anyone know what HS should sound like when pressing the CPU board sound test button? I get some sound but dont know if its the right one or an error code or something... like a sine wave from low to high (police siren style).

You should get alternating tones low/high which tests the CVSD chip and the DAC. To end the test you have to shut the machine off.

viperrwk

#10 10 years ago

viperrwk, allright! That could be the case with the adjustment pot.

From what you describe it seems the test sound is correct, alternating from low to high. So this points towards a pre-amp..

thanks for the help so far!

#11 10 years ago

Check for correct voltages on the PS and on the CPU. Must have +5,+12.-12.

#12 10 years ago

Yep I will start to check as much as I can, i discovered there is probably a display problem too since segments that should not light up does.. (the segments "in" the letters for HIDEOUT, as compared to the "38" which looks good. And "10" is also bad). Besides.. two displays are missing hehe.. But lets take that in a separate thread.

So, im gonna measure some volts and check connections and everything again. Ill report back!

displayproblem.jpgdisplayproblem.jpg

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

You should get alternating tones low/high which tests the CVSD chip and the DAC. To end the test you have to shut the machine off.
viperrwk

I think it actually was the police siren from the game i heard. There should be a version for the US and one version for the EU (different police car sirens) and since i am in europe and the game is made for eu it must have been the siren sound. I asked a HS owner and he sugested that. Can anyone confirm this? If it wasnt the siren its very similar to it but still low/high tones. Either way i heard a sound so if there arent any special sound codes that plays with a faulty circuit i guess the sound test was successful..

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check for correct voltages on the PS and on the CPU. Must have +5,+12.-12.

I found one TP on the CPU board called TP2 (TP1 is probably the GND point). It read +4.89VDC so it should be within range I guess.

On the PSU I found 3 TPs named 2,4 and 3. However I can't find the number one and what these should have as voltage. I guess -12 and 12 but the third? Also +5? And the missing TP1 is that like self explanatory as anywhere GND?

I have measured continuity on the chips at U4 and U3 and all pins have continuity to where they should according to the schematic. Still they can be faulty of course or maybe other components between them and the speaker and or before them.

I put the game in sound test again today and while repeating on of the low volume sounds I wiggled the cables at connectors and pressed gently on the different chips but without any difference.

I have ordered some new amps for U4 but I'm gonna double check if both speakers plays all sounds. I think some were only played through the backbox speaker but not the cab speaker and maybe that's why they are on low volume... Need to double check that though.

#15 10 years ago

It's mono sound (only a single final amp) so all sounds come out equally from all speakers. Easiest place to test voltages is on the connector on the top of the MPU board at J17. Pins 1-3 are ground, 4-6 are 5V, 8 is -12V and 9 is 12V (those last 2 might be reversed)

#16 10 years ago

Hi kbliznick, funny i just spent an hour or two reading about a road kings w/o sound where you posted =)

I have compiled a list of what to check next (from other sound related discussions) so tomorrow i will try to narrow down the problem a bit more (while waiting for the amps). Checking the volts on the MPU board among other things. Thanks for clarifying!

I will post back with my findings...

#17 10 years ago

Ok, here are todays tests and findings:

1. The volume adjuster pot:
- It affects all sounds, music sound effects and speech. Allthough if I adjust it so the speech and low volume sounds are at good loudness the music is horribly loud.

- It makes the speakers crack a tiny bit as old things like these do.

2. Bypassing the sound board:
I disconnected the connector at the sound board, J2 for the pot, moved it to J16 on the MPU instead. Now, as it should, all sounds were still heard but no music (since it comes from the sound board right?). The sounds are still low volume though but can be adjusted with the vol pot in the cab.

Here are the sounds that, regardless of where the sound pot is connected, are low volume. From the sound test accessible from the coin door:

00 = low
01 = "normal" volume/OK
02 = low
03 = OK
04 = low
05 = OK
06 = low
07 = low

(Dont know if that points to any specific amp or something...or even a sound ROM..)

3. I changed the ribbon cable between the sound board and the MPU board to a known working one, no difference.

4. Tried without the ribbon cable, and got sounds and speech but no music. Still low volume.

5. The interesting stuff (maybe)
I measured the voltage at the MPU board at J17 as kbliznick suggested.

pins 1-3 = GND
pins 4-6 = 5 VDC
pin 8 = -13,5 VDC
pin 9 = 10.04 VDC (Is this within range or do we have something here?)

I continued towards the PSU and all wires from J17 on MPU has continuity to the PSU. Interestingly enough when i measured on the J17 the sound suddenly got distorted. It came back to normal when i turned off and on the machine. Dont know if it is a/some bad solder joints at J17 or if i touched something i should not have touched...

When playing one of the low volume sounds (then one of the normal volume sounds) i wiggled all connectors at the sound board and the top half of the MPU board as well as the ones associated with the sound board and MPU board on the PSU but not a single crack in the speakers or other difference.

Anyway,

6. Volts at the PSU:

TP1 (at the top close to a white ceramic resistor) = +5 VDC

TP2 GND = Has continuity to ground (the backplate)

TP3 +12V = +9.94 V <------------- (issue?)

TP4 -12V = -13.75 V (should be fine i guess)

When the game was turned off i also found that TP3 had continuity to ground. Normal or not is the question...

Now I wonder whats wrong... the game boots up fine (though without the sound bong that mysteriously dissappeared a few days ago), the cpu test button on the MPU board still checks OK (first an 8 then switches to a 0), the sound test button on the MPU plays the siren sound or what i call a sine wave sound, high/low.

I can add credits and start and play the game without any obvious issues except for some sounds being played at low volume.

If there is a bad 12V how come the game functions? A theory is that the 12Vs that are need for the game to boot are there but it misses some on the other pin of J17 so some amps does not get enough power to play the sound at desired volume... no idea if works like that but just a thought.

What could be wrong on the PSU (if 9,94 V is not enough when 12V is intended)? A bridge or maybe a cap?

Im still waiting for the op-amps to arrive but i feel this is a bit dodgy and i want to see if there is anything else that might be the culprit before replacing them..

Any suggestions appricieted though i dont want to be too demanding..

Below a few pics of former repair jobs made by i dont know who:

quickfixes.jpgquickfixes.jpg

Andy

#18 10 years ago

BTW, noticed one more "repair"-job...

psuconnector.jpgpsuconnector.jpg

#19 10 years ago

The pics on the power board indicate there was a problem with the transistor and zener diode supplying the 100V to the plasma displays, but look like they were fixed.

The incoming wire bundle (4 yellow wires) is the AC voltage that runs to the GI. It torched the connector so they soldered directly between the wires. That leads into the board and the clear blue relay which can turn GI on and off.

The next repair was the set of 8 wires you circled in red. This leads the output to the GI on playfield/backbox. The header and connector probably were torched and rather than putting on a proper header and high amp pin connector, they soldered directly to the board. Nothing wrong with any of this as it does reduce resistance, but ideally you should pick up some new Trifucon molex .156 pins and a new header with square sides on each pin and replace all that with a nice new connector.

You can consider changing out some of your GI (playfield or backbox) for LED to lessen the load in the future, but for a home machine and a new connector with good pins that will last the life of the game. You can do the same by repinning the yellow bundle in. Pins are 10 cents or less each from multiple sources. None of these hacks on the power board would affect sound, as it was just the 100V plasma or 6.3VAC GI circuits modified.

#20 10 years ago

Nice explaination there pac-fan! Good to know! I will replace the connector for the GI and even the pins on the output connector that was soldered directly to the board. When i get that far in the restoration i will probably add leds too just to prevent this kind of toasting and because it looks nice

First i will make sure the sound works but still need some guidance.. especially to know if 9.94 volts is within limit for the 12V..

#21 10 years ago

No thats not within limits and the power supply needs to be rebuilt as most 25 year old machines need. You need to change the caps and doides at a minimum.

#22 10 years ago

Yeah, that 12V seems really low at less than 10. It is unregulated, but that still seems low.

Main parts associated with the -12V and 12V:

Bridge BR1
Caps C7-C10 100 uf 25V, 47 uf 50V, 1000uf 25V and 18000uf 25V.

I would suspect the largest cap, but better to replace them all.

Also the 5V regulator and large transistor while outputting the correct 5V can be putting a strain on the 12V input and pulling it down a little.

Looking through the MPU schematic again, it appears that the 12V is used for the final amp (listed at "+V filtered") but I don't see it used earlier in the circuit for either of the op-amps or the DAC or CVSD chips.

The -12V is used at both op-amps and the 1408 DAC.

#23 10 years ago

My money is still on the op-amp at U4.

#24 10 years ago

Allright!

Many thanks for you guys bothering to help!

I will replace the suggested parts and see if there is any difference. By then i will have the op-amp to put in place of the U4 so lets hope i make some progress here. Feels good now that I have something to aim for! As usual I will report back with the results. Always good to find a solution and not just leave the thread.

Thanks again!

#25 10 years ago

By the way, it might be a good idea to check pin 4 of the amp (the final one u mentioned) to see if the 12V is there. It was also something at pin 8 and i dont remember what it was but i will check it and test it. I mean there could maybe be some faults along the way to the pre amps BUT then they would not operate at all i think... well.. ill have a check and see.

#27 10 years ago

Get this too, Part Number: WAN-HVP-KIT

Maybe a few other caps and transistors you see on the boards

Ed @ Great Plains is fantastic to deal with and will refund money if the shipping is lower than expected.

#28 10 years ago

Thats great to hear!

I will see if they carry the molex males for the PSU too while im at it!

Many many thanks for all the help, i guess i will ask more too but thanks so far!

#29 10 years ago

Parts ordered... now lets hope some of it will fix the issue. More updates soon! =)

1 week later
#30 10 years ago

Another question... the BR1 on the PSU board, (Bridge rectifier 1, 35A 100V) is going to be replaced as well while im at it. However i cant find one so easy but I have bridges with the following specs among my things, 35A 200V. So, how are these rated?

As far as I understand it the 35A is the maximum output rectified current from the bridge. And the volts are the maximum reverse voltage that the bridge can withstand. If thats correct i guess that 35A 200V would be fine as a replacement bridge but for example a 25V 50V (if it exists at all) would not be enough. Am i correct or how does it work? =)

#31 10 years ago

yes, you are correct about the 200V rated bridge working for your application.

#32 10 years ago

Thanks kbliznick!

1 week later
#33 10 years ago

Allright, to report back here is some info:

I have now replaced all the caps (except for the disc ones) on the PSU board as well as the Bridge rectifier and all the burnt connectors etc. I have not replaced the diodes yet, not the zeners nor the "normal" ones. When tested the game still works but nothing changed soundwise, so i have now replaced the U4 chip (MPU brd) together with a socket and i am going to see if theres any difference as soon as possible.

What did change is the low voltage at TP (that should be 12V but was 9.94 before changing the caps has now increased to 10.97 volts. Since this is unregulated, if i remember correct, this should be fine I guess?
I also bought the IC voltage regulator for the PSU board but have not replaced it yet. The reason is I was just lazy but I might do it before i call the board complete.

I post back with the results from the U4 replacement.

212294-i.jpg212294-i.jpg
216501.jpg216501.jpg

#34 10 years ago

10.97 volts on the unregulated 12volt is way to low, should be around 13.5volts. You need to finish rebuilding the p/s.

#35 10 years ago

Allright! I'll replace the regulator and the diodes too, maybe even the disc caps?

Reporting back when any progress!

#36 10 years ago

One set of zeners will affect the 100V output on the HV to the plasmas, they won't affect the rest of the voltages; so no need to replace them unless you're putting in the 91V ones to extend the plasma life.

Disc capacitors (and regular) diodes basically generally do not go bad, except for mechanical vibration issues. I wouldn't waste my time or money on those in most cases. Electrolytic caps do fail due to the liquid in them and you've already replaced those.

Be extremely careful replacing the regulator regarding heat sink (thermal compound) and not accidentally shorting it out when reinstalling. Measure everything with the outputs disconnected from it after you replace and ensure it's good before you plug in other boards to it.

#37 10 years ago

Just fixed this identical speech issuewith an Elvira and it turned out to be a bad cap at c8 on the mpu

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

/
Be extremely careful replacing the regulator regarding heat sink (thermal compound) and not accidentally shorting it out when reinstalling. Measure everything with the outputs disconnected from it after you replace and ensure it's good before you plug in other boards to it.

Thanks for the tip! You are referring to the regulator on top of the huge heat sink right? I don't have that one yet but was thinking maybe I should replace the IC chip on the board which also Is a typ of regulator if I'm not mistaken.
I have it and it's an easy thing to replace, question is if it would make anything better or not.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Just fixed this identical speech issuewith an Elvira and it turned out to be a bad cap at c8 on the mpu

That's good to hear!

I tested the game today with the replaced U4 chip on the MPU board and now the sounds work! All are played at the same volume. So, kbliznick you were betting on the right culprit =)

But... (Of course) the sound bong that was there before but disappeared is still gone. Kbliznick mentioned earlier it originates from the sound board. But where? The sound roms but they seem fine since everything else works including the test on the MPU board. Could it still be them or something else? I have another pair of amps and could replace some other components like caps but it's interesting to hear ideas.

Many thanks for the invaluable help so far! =)

#40 10 years ago

If I recall correctly, the High Speed background sound board doesn't bong at start-up. It makes a very short sound sort of beep.

#41 10 years ago

Hm... That's a bit odd. I will have a look and see if I can find out how it should be. The strangest thing is I am pretty sure it was there when I got the game though I can not be 100 percent since it might have been me being so used to hear one on other games that I thought I was lol. Or maybe it was the beep and that it's gone now. On pin wiki etc there is a description of the start up sounds, I will look it up and report back.

#42 10 years ago

start up sounds on high speed and grand lizard are different than the rest of the system 11 games because the 2 of them use a different sound board than the rest.

#43 10 years ago

Allright! good to know. Right now mine is not giving of any sound at startup but it goes into attract mode and it works and plays all the sounds in the sound test and when playing. I think I wont bother anymore right now figuring out what it should sound like at power-on =)

#44 10 years ago

I have asked a couple of pinsiders about what their HS does when power-on. I quote my restoration thread where the discussion went on..

Here are the variations that we have so far:

- Totally quiet (no bong)

- One small "beep" (not really a bong)

- A single beep (but got bong when there were issues (like a switch))

- Nocker clap (and coin door lockout coils engaging)

- My own - Totally quiet but coin door coil(s) engaging.

Dont really know what to make of this.

In the repair guides states that:
"When the system 11 games boots, it produces power-on tone(s). Here is the
breakdown of the tone(s):

- No Sound: sound/speech board is not operating, or a failure is affecting the
sound circuitry (broken or disconnected cable, dead amplifier, bad speaker).

- One Tone: sound/speech system OK.

- Two Tones: sound/speech RAM problem.

- Three Tones: U4 problem.

- Four Tones: U19 problem.

- Five Tones: U20 problem (System 11C)."

Its also stated that sometimes five knocks from the knocker can be heard and the reason would probably be a switch issue and the game "calling" for help from the op by giving off five knocks.

The manual also says that:
"With the coin door closed, plug the game in, and turn it ON, using the On-Off switch.
In normal operation, the player 1 (SPEEDER 1) score display and the lower two
2-digit displays (Credits and BALL IN PLAY/MATCH) initially show 00. The GAME OVER
indicator blinks. Then, the game goes into the Attract Mode (Playfield and backbox
lamps flashing, sounds being heard, etc.)."

Nothing about any sound bong there.

A side note, in the visual pinball emulator when you start up high speed there is no sound bong, but there is on other games that have it.

I might be over thinking this.. but so far it seems OK though it still boggles me.

#45 10 years ago

made a post in the wrong thread, sorry.

5 months later
#46 9 years ago

gonna revive this thread if i may.

I recently received a High Speed pinball machine as payment for labor. It did not work when i first got it and all the rubber was dry rotted and practically dust. I purchased a tune up kit with rubber and lights which i installed and polished the play field. It is actually a real nice machine and i assume it has the original factory mylar, the play field is nice as well as the cabinet and back glass. I had to replace the varistor in the power distribution supply ( it is a surge protector from what i have read and it was fried). I got the machine working and i played about 300 games in about 2 weeks. All the audio worked perfect until one day, i powered it up and played a few games... then, all of a sudden....a series of the sounds began to be distorted. They are still as loud as the rest of the sounds. I have read many posts about certain sounds being "quiet" mine are still as loud as every other sound the machine makes but just distorted.

I was instructed to recap the power supply so i did... no change in sound issues. when i do the sound test from the coin door, the sounds are also distorted there as well. the sounds that are distorted/squelching are the sound of the engine revving, the horn, and the speech. I have tried to use a different speaker with no resolve. when i power up the machine, i get 5 tones which i just learned today from this thread that it points to a faulty U20? I am a complete no0b but i am a fast learner and i am a very hands on kind of guy. I feel that with a little direction, i can fix this. I have yet to find a thread that describes the symptoms of my sound issues. My machine has always made the 5 tones upon start up from the day i got it to play and it played all sounds then. Maybe it has something to do with it? maybe not? A friend of mine thinks it could be a filter of some sort, but, he is not a pinball guy, he is just throwing out suggestions... could someone possibly steer me in the right direction as to how to trouble shoot this? Other wise, the game plays great and everything else works fine. Thank you in advance for any input and advise.

EDIT FOR: the engine revving is actually ok, i can hear that. It is the squealing of the tires, the horn and the speech from the officers that is distorted/squelched.
I could make a video of the symptoms if that would be more helpful. I then would have to figure out how to embed it into this thread.

Post edited by Metalman247: correction of information

1 week later
#47 9 years ago

Hi there Metalman247, just happened to check back on some old threads i started. I must say I don't really have an answer to your issue. Only thing I can come up with is to try and wiggle the connectors for the audio board and or speakers to see if it affects it. Might be a bad connection as well as something else, like it came loose from vibrations or so. Maybe a power issue but you recapped the PSU so maybe not (or it lays somewhere else)... hopefully someone else on here can guide you further.

Good luck and congrats to your "new" machine!

btw, feel free to continue this thread since its related to the original topic.

2 weeks later
#48 9 years ago

I started a whole new thread in hopes that i could be more specific to my individual issue. It got MAYBE one reply and it advised me to replace the ROM chips. I replaced sound ROM's U21, U21 on the CPU? (maybe it's called the MPU...?) and i also changed out the U4 ROM chip on the sound board. The replacements which i purchased form Action Pinball did not fix the issue. Ray, from Action Pinball said in an email that if the ROM chips didn't fix my issue, CPU may need "Low end repairs". I also purchased a remote battery holder for the machine. I plan to mount it to the rear of the display panel as instructed by Ray.

My next move is to remove the board to install the battery holder and at which time i am going to inspect ALL connections to the board. I have un plugged and re seated all wires and connections i can without removing the board. I suspect now, that one of the chip sockets may have a loose connection resulting in my issue.

One question for you Ringmaster, i have tried and tried and tried to get someone to confirm that my voltage readings are within range at connector P17. It is to my understanding that pins 1-3 are ground... pins 4-6 are 5 VDC , pin 8 is -12v and pin 9 should be +12v. My readings are as follows...

My concern is with Pins 8 and 9... my readings are as follows.

Pin 8 should be -12v and i have -14.45 is this too much?

Pin 9 should be +12v and i have +14.11v is this too much?

It is to my understanding that they are "unregulated" and a friend of mine told me that if they are not under a load, the readings will be higher, but, he is not a pinball guy. He does know more about electricity than i do though. These are about the same readings i had BEFORE i recapped as well.

Thanks for your reply RingMaster. I appreciate it. I will link MY thread to this post if you are interested in seeing the videos of what my machine is actually doing. I have tried everything i have read about here in every thread i have read. i really want to fix this issue because it is really annoying to hear. It only happens with certain sounds and the same issues exist after recapping and replacing the sound ROM's.

thanks in advance.

EDIT FOR: link to my thread....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-sound-squelchingdistorted

#49 9 years ago

Had the same problem, drove me crazy for months, and it turned out to be the ribbon/connector wires. I tested with jumpers, voila, perfect sound.

Good luck!
Bob

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Metalman247:

My readings are as follows...
My concern is with Pins 8 and 9... my readings are as follows.
Pin 8 should be -12v and i have -14.45 is this too much?
Pin 9 should be +12v and i have +14.11v is this too much?
It is to my understanding that they are "unregulated" and a friend of mine told me that if they are not under a load, the readings will be higher, but, he is not a pinball guy.

The absolute max ratings of the op amps are +18VDC and -18VDC. Your readings are fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-sound-problemsys-11-cpu-sound-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.