(Topic ID: 81000)

High Speed: slingshot comes on at power up then blows the fuse?

By Switch

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

ok to start from the beginning a few weeks ago I was hand balling the game to show my little ones how things work. after the ball hits the left slingshot I hear a loud pop from the back box? I immediately power down the game an after inspection I find a transistor physically blown apart? replace the transistor and try to fire the game up no action from the slings? So I immediately check the fuses. I find the fuse for the solenoids to be blown and also to be the wrong value!!!! So I then look for the source of the overcurrent. Sure enough the left coil is showing 0 ohms so bingo (should have checked it right away when I blew the transistor) So after waiting for my parts to arrive I swap out the coil and the diode (just reused the old diode) replaced the fuse with the correct value (2.5sb) and now the moment I power the game on the coil slams shut and If I let it continue will obviously blow the fuse. I checked both switches to make sure they weren't stuck closed and they are good. Did a complete visual inspection of the rest of the area with no evidence of an issue. I am really stumped here? I did forget to check and make sure my diode was ok before I reused it could that cause this issue if it has failed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Bad transistor, bad diode, bad coil, wires in right spots.

One or more. Start checking.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

I'd definitely check the diode in the sling coil. And better yet, replace it rather than reusing the old one.
I accidentally reversed the new diode I put on my sling when I was rebuilding it.
Fried the transistor immediately.

#4 10 years ago

Take LTGs advice.
He's the one that diagnosed my blown transistor/diode issue

#5 10 years ago

well the wires are in the right spot Im sure of that. Diode orientation is correct im sure of. The coil omhs out at a little above 4ohms so that should be fine. What is the best way to test the transistor? it is a brand new TP102 so I hope it is ok? I've never had any luck testing those diodes while they are soldered to the coils is this normal?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Switch:

it is a brand new TP102 so I hope it is ok? I've never had any luck testing those diodes while they are soldered to the coils is this normal?

New doesn't mean good, or didn't blow again.

You need to remove at least one leg of diode to get an accurate reading. And no wires or diode on coil to check it.

LTG : )

#7 10 years ago

ok sounds good. I will start with that thanks a ton LTG I appreciate the help. Kinda wondering if that over rated fuse didn't zap my new transistor.

#8 10 years ago

Ok so I removed one of the legs of the diode and it is good. the coil also tests good. I am going to remove the board today and pull the Q75 transistor to test it and again replace it. at this point im thinking it has to be the transistor right?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Switch:

Ok so I removed one of the legs of the diode and it is good. the coil also tests good. I am going to remove the board today and pull the Q75 transistor to test it and again replace it. at this point im thinking it has to be the transistor right?

Sounds like a bad transistor to me. You can test it on the board without having to remove it. But given everything else is OK, it most likely is the transistor.

#10 10 years ago

I am thinking that it got burned out when the over rated fuse didn't blow. Lesson learned for me anytime I get a new game I'm going to check the fuse values before I do anything.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Switch:

I am thinking that it got burned out when the over rated fuse didn't blow. Lesson learned for me anytime I get a new game I'm going to check the fuse values before I do anything.

That is the first thing I check whenever I buy a game. (Learned my lesson the hard way years ago with overfused magnets in GnR)

#12 10 years ago

You guys are rock stars!!!!! I looked up how to check that transistor and with it mounted on the board it was showing .5ohms while everything else around it was showing 47ish ohms. swapped out the transistor and bam she is back up and running!!!! thanks a ton guys. Lesson learned on not checking fuse values when you buy a used game. Thanks again guys this game is my favorite one I'm so glad to have it back!!!!

#13 10 years ago

Resistance is not the ideal way to check a transistor. Luckily there is a bunch of the same transistor on this board, so you can reference how others read. You made a good logical assumption, but try the diode test feature on your mutlimeter. If yours does not have that, it is worth the investment to get one.

Good job and have fun.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-slingshot-comes-on-at-power-up-then-blows-the-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.