You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#1 10 years ago

I'm cleaning and tuning up my new high speed and the right kicker does not work at all. I am new to pinballs and don't want to mess anything up, I tested the coil with power off and it seemed fine. Where do I go from here?

#2 10 years ago

Does it fire in test mode?

#4 10 years ago

It doesn't work during test mode. I used a multimeter on ohms to test the coil and it seemed fine.

#5 10 years ago

Switches don't work on switch test either. Is ther a way to jump a switch test coil? Or jump a coil to test?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Switches don't work on switch test either. Is ther a way to jump a switch test coil? Or jump a coil to test?

Well that should be telling you something right there. You have a switch issue, not a coil issue.

#7 10 years ago

I grounded the non banded side of the coil and it is good. I used a continuity test on the switches and they both worked. How do I test the switch under the kicker? Is this for points and in related?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I grounded the non banded side of the coil and it is good. I used a continuity test on the switches and they both worked. How do I test the switch under the kicker? Is this for points and in related?

The switch under the kicker is for points and really has nothing to do with your coil not firing.
When was the kicker last working? Has it worked since you've owned the machine?
Do you have a manual? Have you checked the corresponding CPU board connector and checked out the transistor responsible for that solenoid? I believe it's Q71. The connector is J19 and is located on the upper right hand side of the CPU board. Pin #4 is the one you should be looking at. Has a red & blue wire at the connector.

#9 10 years ago

It has never worked since i got it lastweek. I checked the wire back to the board for continuity and its good. I have been trying to figure out the schematics, but it is completely foreign to me. If I find the transistor how do I test / repair it?i am totally new to pins and have zero wiring schematic knowledge. I have worked on car and bike wiring but never electronics.

#10 10 years ago

I assume you own a DMM?
Power off machine. You can test it without removing the board although its much easier to test with it out.
Put meter into diode test.
Black probe to metal tab on top. I usually use a small alligator clip to hold it there.
With red probe test each outside leg.
You should get a reading between .500 and .800.
Lastly probe the center leg with the red probe.
A short should be seen.

A lot of times you will see scorching on the board around a fried transistor but not always.
Does it look toasty?

#11 10 years ago

I have a multi meter but it doesn't have diode on it, so I will borrow one. If it is q71 it looks fine.

#12 10 years ago

When I test the transistor I get almost 600 on one side and 97 on the other. Does this mean a bad transistor ?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

When I test the transistor I get almost 600 on one side and 97 on the other. Does this mean a bad transistor ?

Almost certainly.
I would pull the board and test it again.
You will need a TIP122 transistor to replace it with.
Have you ever replaced a component on a PCB?

#14 10 years ago

No, and I'm not sure i want to try, I might find someone local to repair it. I have read that it is easy to ruin your board.

#15 10 years ago

Double check that transistor before you do any board work.
If board is still mounted, you should check it like this (make sure your DMM is set to diode test and game is powered off):

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Got it ill check tomorrow, maybe my meter was set wrong.

#17 10 years ago

I'm still getting the same readings and I also did it on the transistors on either side of it and it was the same on the right side .096 and the left was .589 on the two on either side the rights were .096 and the lefts were both .525
What am I doing wrong, I checked the manual for the meter and it is definitely on diode.

#18 10 years ago

I have no idea what's going on there. Never experienced that before.
Just for the heck if it, pull the special solenoid connector from the board and then try.
J19 I think. Remember, black to tab and red to outer legs.

If someone else wants to jump in here, be my guest!

#19 10 years ago

Just checked with a second meter and getting 600 on one side and 200 on another, with all 6 transistors in the same area. I have someone hopefully coming to help me next week before I go crazy.

1 week later
#20 10 years ago

Best quick and dirty way I've found to check a transistor on a Sys 11 driver board is to use a jumper and hook one end to your ground braid in the head and then touch the tab of the Tip122 that you want to test. Just touch it quick and see if the coil fires. If it doesn't, you'll know the transistor is most likely bad. If you replace it and it still won't work, you might need to replace the transistor that drives it or the LM339 chip for that transistor. I usually break out the logic probe and trace the signal while in solenoid test on repeat to see if the signal is reaching the LM339 input and output. It should be toggling while in test mode.

2 weeks later
#21 10 years ago

I used a jumper wire and the cool fires so is it further up like a chip or could it be something else?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-rt-kicker-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.