20170715_132333.jpg
20170718_120000.jpg
20170713_152433.jpg
20170713_152509.jpg
20170713_152503.jpg
20170713_152457.jpg
20170713_152450.jpg
#1 6 years ago

Today I picked up a project High Speed that has a much better than average playfield, and a slightly better than average cabinet with the original colors and paint in presentable condition.

No lockdown bar and no playfield apron.

It has no backglass, and is missing all of the boards, except the display board and displays.

The siren topper is present and the cabinet wiring, transformer, is all present.

I have no idea what the machine will need in addition to whats missing.

Is this a machine to part out or will the missing parts be easy and affordable in the overall scheme for a High Speed?

My buddy grabbed the 8 Ball machine.

20170621_151121.jpg20170621_151121.jpg
20170621_151113.jpg20170621_151113.jpg

#2 6 years ago

I would be interested in the playfield lol

#3 6 years ago

Siren topper assembly for the right price here.

#4 6 years ago

Yep sell the big stuff to the 2 gentleman you have above my post. It's not worth the headache of trying to rebuild something that you have no idea at all what it will take. You'll find another HS down the road if you really want one.

#5 6 years ago

It would be a no brainer for me to restore it.

It will take a bit of a scavenger hunt, but that's half the fun.

There are boards and displays floating around. Lockbars are fairly common. The apron may give you some trouble, but you could always find a substitute to use temporarily, or even add a decal for the text that is specific to the high speed apron. If you need a plastic ramp, someone on the forums here ended up reproducing it.

I bought my high speed without a backglass, and was able to find one without too much trouble. I found a few people with used ones, but ended up getting a CPR reproduction from someone.

If you have a decent playfield, that's 75% of the battle right there.

However, if you really have no interest in restoring it, let someone else have a crack at it. You don't have to chop it up. They don't make these any more, and every time one gets parted, that's one less game that can be owned, shared, and enjoyed.

#6 6 years ago

If you got a good price on it, it'll be worth restoring. Even still I'd restore it because I try to save every pin I find.

#7 6 years ago

Heres an odd update but I was just given a lockdown bar for it from another pinsider

#8 6 years ago

Fix the game. Once it's parted another bites the dust. Leave games that are beyond saving to be parted.

#9 6 years ago

Restore the pins, part out that POS truck instead.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Heres an odd update but I was just given a lockdown bar for it from another pinsider

Its a sign!

#11 6 years ago

I've got a crappy Williams apron (not highspeed) that you can have for shipping until you can find a HS one.

#12 6 years ago

If you can restore that is great. I used to hate the thought of people parting out games. Then as time went by I also realized parting has reasons also. Where do you think some of those parts you need might come from? Sometimes one might die but others may live.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Fix the game. Once it's parted another bites the dust. Leave games that are beyond saving to be parted.

Although if you look at that recent Space Shuttle thread apparently any pin, even one sitting out in a field for god knows how long and falling apart can be saved. But yes I definitely agree with this sentiment.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Restore the pins, part out that POS truck instead.

That truck is an awesome pin hauler, I think it has run games for everyone in the valley!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

That truck is an awesome pin hauler, I think it has run games for everyone in the valley!

Well, it looks like the brakes on that truck are better than the brakes on the vehicle that was behind it.

(Fix the HS!)

#16 6 years ago

Ultimately depends on how much you picked the game up for.

#17 6 years ago

Such a great game. I'd try and make it work again.

#18 6 years ago

I am trending towards fixing it up, but the biggest expense appears to be the cpu, which runs upwards of $350-400. Any suggestions on this component and the sound, power supply and flipper power supply boards?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I am trending towards fixing it up, but the biggest expense appears to be the cpu, which runs upwards of $350-400. Any suggestions on this component and the sound, power supply and flipper power supply boards?

I have a power board and flipper board for sure

#20 6 years ago

Reproduction apron in the marketplace:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1056-merf-s-pins/00586-reproduction-high-speed-ball-arch-apron

(only posted because as a HS owner, it's at the bottom of every post I read )

I'd also vote to save it, but mostly because I love mine. (dibs on plastics if you go the other way)

#21 6 years ago

I am making a little more progress with tracking down parts. I have a line on the flipper power supply board and an apron.

I also tracked down a backglass that will work until I can get a repro translight or better backglass.

Needs list is now at: cpu, sound board, power supply board, backglass/translight trim

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#22 6 years ago

I have a display driver if you need one

#23 6 years ago

I have a power supply I would sell.

#24 6 years ago

This looks like one of the easiest restorations in the world; you just need new parts to plug and play. Definitely not worth parting it out.

#26 6 years ago

I appreciate that heads up Forceflow, and funny thing is that you are the third person to point that out. But at this point I have a used backglass and a repro translight in the works.

#27 6 years ago

I have a nice apron from my RBG.

I got the same decals as HS.

I would sell pretty cheap. (WYSIWYG)

Bud

SYS11 Apron1 (resized).JPGSYS11 Apron1 (resized).JPG

#28 6 years ago

Does anyone have a spare working sound board for this High Speed?

Edit*** board procured.

#30 6 years ago

Wow, its so great to see everyone pitching in to help! Looks like you will be on your way to having that machine running in no time!

#31 6 years ago

I now have a working/refurbed sound board thanks to Nabours Novelty

The power supply and a cpu needing a bit of work all on their way.

20170701_180120.jpg20170701_180120.jpg

#32 6 years ago

Yay. Glad to see it got saved.

#33 6 years ago

Power supply board and a better looking apron arrived today. This should be a good week for this project.

Playfield pics coming next weekend.

20170703_155659.jpg20170703_155659.jpg

#34 6 years ago

MPU board arrived today. Its out of a WMS Fire.

Its been cleaned off and is ready for roms and other electronic parts coming from Great Plains.

#35 6 years ago

While you're waiting for more parts to arrive, how about chopping off that battery holder and installing a remote one?

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

Here is the starting point for playfield.

20170713_152450.jpg20170713_152450.jpg
20170713_152457.jpg20170713_152457.jpg
20170713_152503.jpg20170713_152503.jpg
20170713_152509.jpg20170713_152509.jpg

#37 6 years ago

Here's the backbox starting point.

20170713_152433.jpg20170713_152433.jpg

#38 6 years ago

Probably just a fuse.

#39 6 years ago

I can tell you from experience that rusty playfield parts are a b*tch to clean up. Be prepared to go through a lot of steel wool on those wireforms.

#40 6 years ago

This has turned out to be an easy clean up. The wireforms had only light surface, beginning stage of corrosion. At some point someone did touch ups and then mylared the entire playfield. It should be a good player level machine, which is exactly what a High Speed was meant to be.

I will finish shopping out the machine today.

MPU driver board repairs are next.

20170718_120000.jpg20170718_120000.jpg
20170715_132333.jpg20170715_132333.jpg

#41 6 years ago

The mpu driver board repair appears to have worked.

I have a bad Ball in Play / Match display. And fuse F2 on the power supply blows on power up. Any ideas what could be causing this? I do have a fried diveter coil, but that doesnt energize on power up does it?

20170720_144842.jpg20170720_144842.jpg

#42 6 years ago

It could lock on upon power up if there is damage/ shorted components on the mpu. If the coil fried, you will want to replace the drive and predrive transistor at a minimum.

1 week later
#43 6 years ago

I replaced another tip102 to solve the locked on coil that was replaced.

The machine is now done and part of my humble but playable collection. I am still working on a translite, perhaps a custom one. It cleaned up to a better than average High Speed.

Thanks to those of you who helped me with parts, encouragement and advice

A before pic for reference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restore-or-part-out-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.