(Topic ID: 88747)

High Speed Restoration (Apr 27, 2014: mof)

By mof

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 357 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201501-HS-tools.jpg
before.jpg
mylar.jpg
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
201501-HS-blue-flippers1.jpg
201501-HS-blue-flippers2.jpg
013.JPG
012.JPG
011.JPG
010.JPG
201501-HS-blue-edition1.jpg
201501-HS-blue-edition2.jpg
201501-HS-socketed.jpg
201501-HS-2n3904-Q43.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 9 years ago

And a nice new clear ramp! Starting production today.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Eventually, I may take a stab at touching up some of the black by hand...
Is it possible to repair a front-side chunk, and do some minor touch ups in the black without a full body re-do?
I think I'd like to give it a shot eventually...
-mof

I redid an F-14 Cabinet basically by hand. Re-sanded, but left enough of the art for me to reproduce. I saved a before/after photo of the front of the cabinet that was in really bad shape so I wouldn't forget what it looked like before the restore. Cabinet was painted with acrylics then clear coated with Varathane Diamond.

IMG_0343.JPGIMG_0343.JPG

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Really nice. I hope to jump in on the woodworking side soon... It's all fun stuff.
-mof

I this case I simply "sliced" off the bottom of the cabinet just below the bottom of the coin door and put in a new piece of wood. Can't tell.

2 weeks later
#107 9 years ago

Just one observation from your photos. The long rubber that is in front of the diverter. That is not the correct application. There should be in fact two rubber rings and they should be installed to go around behind the diverter mechanism. There is clearance behind the diverter, between the diverter plate and the back board. The upper rubber should be in the groves on the posts and the lower should be below it.

1 week later
#124 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

The results are astonishing. This thing is playing like a beast now.
There's just something magical about being about 50 hours into a resto, that it starts playing like a champion...
It's now my GF's second-favorite machine behind WW (after playing HS just once, with a score of 1,200,000 -- almost beating the machine.) She's not a gamer or a pin-head, but she has great instinctive timing skills for pinball. She says she likes the Devo-like music, she feels like she's accomplishing something easily understandable with the red-yellow-green lights and making the ramp shot. It's always good feedback to learn from non-pin-heads why certain games hold interest and others don't, especially when the reasons are not ones I'd ever think of.
Adding more blue this weekend... heading over to Cliffy's to try some blue post rubbers out. Will get some blue flipper buttons next week.
-mof

Blue, huh? I'm actually going to do a test form for the ramp out of transparent blue .125 acrylic to test.

#131 9 years ago

"Top Flasher" are the two flashers in the back corners of the playfield

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Playfield seems kinda dark.
Nice work.

It will brighten up when he gets his new clear ramp!

1 month later
#168 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Hour 70: Box cut. Wrapped. Back from UPS store. Old ramp shipped out via UPS!
-mof

And your new clear ramp is ready and waiting!

5 months later
#200 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'm thinking about re-designing and machining the stoplight lamp housing. Just wish I could fine new 5/8 diameter inserts for the lamp housing. I can find 2 out of the 3. I might end up having to machine my own.

When I was first making the ramp there was a lot of interest in a "new" stoplight. The original design is pretty deep to accommodate the length of a typical 44/47 bulb. With the new flat strip LED's that are available, the housing could be made much thinner...more "elegant".

#209 9 years ago

Interesting.... In the photo above, the black wires around the pop bumpers appears to be added. Am I correct to assume that those wires are providing power to the pop bumper lights? Here's a photo of the bottom of mine in that area. A little hard to make out, but the power for the pop bumper lights was provided by routed, stapled braid.

IMG_0331.JPGIMG_0331.JPG
#211 9 years ago

Frankly, doing the braids for the pop bumpers was a pain, so I'd stick with what you have.

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I took the wiring harness to the driveway, and sprayed it down with Mean Green, let it work for a minute, then sprayed it down good 2x.

If I washed a harness down in my driveway today, it would freeze!

#247 9 years ago

In the photo above where the leaf switch for the spinner goes right over some GI braids, make sure the leaf cannot contact the braids. I do recall when I did mine that I put some shrink tube on those braids.

#268 9 years ago

It's a good time to add lights under your roll overs. You can see the two GI leads are very handy.

#277 9 years ago

Just a thought... I chose to repaint all the upper playfield wood rails black.

#278 9 years ago

Here is a photo of mine with the black rails...

Black Rails.JPGBlack Rails.JPG
#303 9 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

yes it turned out really nice.

Hey!...That could be the first High Speed to hit Ebay with my clear ramp!

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I gotta make sure I have some champagne chilled upstairs. Gimme a minute.
-mof

I successfully installed the second platen in my forming machine .....so I'm on my second Modelo!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration?tu=Freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.