(Topic ID: 264445)

High Speed Restoration in low speed. (Jan 2020)

By Pin-Pilot

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I wrap the lines around the front of the cabinet?”

• Wrap the lines around the front of the cabinet 6 votes
    50%
  • Don't do it 0 votes
  • Just play pinball 6 votes
    50%

(12 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P9060143 (resized).JPG
P9060142 (resized).JPG
P9050141 (resized).JPG
P9050140 (resized).JPG
P9050139 (resized).JPG
IMG_0731 (resized).JPG
IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
IMG_0722 (resized).JPG
IMG_0721 (resized).JPG
IMG_0720 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).jpg
IMG_0718 (resized).JPG
IMG_0719 (resized).JPG
Ramp_SWS2 (resized).JPG
Ramp_sws (resized).JPG
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I would put a Cliffy protector on the eject hole

That is a good idea. I need to order one.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Why mylar a clearcoated playfield?

Whats the feeling on mylar on Clear Coat? Is it needed? Probably would not hurt on high wear areas.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Whats the feeling on mylar on Clear Coat? Is it needed? Probably would not hurt on high wear areas.

No way no how, not on a million years

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I don’t think it’s needed either. You’re never going to wear down the clearcoat. It would take a couple hundred thousand plays, and probably not even then.

This has to be the nicest High Speed I’ve ever seen. Nice modifications, and for your first time going this extreme on a resto...absolutely awesome work.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I don’t think it’s needed either. You’re never going to wear down the clearcoat. It would take a couple hundred thousand plays, and probably not even then.
This has to be the nicest High Speed I’ve ever seen. Nice modifications, and for your first time going this extreme on a resto...absolutely awesome work.

OK, Clear Coat is tough. Just was not sure what the general thought about Mylay was.

Thanks for the nice words. I am very satisfied how it all came out.

Have been playing it over the last few days. It is playing great, super fast and smooth. Flippers work great, Left ball return kickback working great. Pop bumpers are strong, Hideout solenoids work perfect, Trough solenoids are strong, Ramp diverter solenoid working great.

The only issue I "think" I have is the slings seem to be a little weak. I am trying to trace it down. I ordered new leaf switches from PBR. The voltage at all the regular solenoids is 26VDC. When I measure the BR that powers these solenoids it reads 26VAV input and 26VDC output. When I isolate the BR I get 37VDC on the output of the BR. GRUMPY has been giving me some help with this but I still think the voltage at the solenoid should be 37VDC.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

The only issue I "think" I have is the slings seem to be a little weak.

HS originally had white rubber which has more "bounce" than black rubber.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

HS originally had white rubber which has more "bounce" than black rubber.

The rubber is not causing the weak sling action.

When I activate the sling it just does not have the kick it should have. The 2 leaf switches are in parallel and have a small capacitor and a resister wired parallel across the switch.

This is suppose to keep the circuit to the transistor active for a full solenoid activation. I feel like as soon as the sling arm opens the contacts on the leaf switches the solenoid is deactivated and does not get a full solenoid activation.

I may replace the capacitors as well to see if this helps but I still believe I should be getting 37VDC at the solenoid terminal. I am only getting 26VDC.

2 weeks later
#108 3 years ago

I'm looking for some of the often busted plastics on this - anyone find a good source? Reproductions are preferred.

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I'm looking for some of the often busted plastics on this - anyone find a good source? Reproductions are preferred.

I just bought a new reproduction set and will be selling my old ones. What are you looking for? Mine might be suitable for you. Shoot me a pm.

Ken

1 month later
#110 3 years ago

Been playing my restored High Speed a lot. It plays great. The outlane kickback problem is solved, now working on a few fine tuning items.

first one in particular is a freeway loop issue. When you flipper a ball around the freeway loop and get a good straight shot that sends the ball fast around the loop counter-clockwise I would notice the ball would sometimes hit the back left ball guide edge reflect and not continue around the loop. This is not acceptable.

This only happened when the ball traveled fast around the loop after a good flipper hit.

Looking close the ball guide sticks out a little past the 5" rubber.
IMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0619 (resized).JPGIMG_0619 (resized).JPG

So I took each ball guide off put it between 2 pieces of wood
IMG_0629 (resized).JPGIMG_0629 (resized).JPG

and put a slight bend so not to stick out making a smooth transition from the rubber to the guide. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
IMG_0631 (resized).JPGIMG_0631 (resized).JPGIMG_0632 (resized).JPGIMG_0632 (resized).JPG

#111 3 years ago

Also added a trough kick out cliffy. Did have to remove a little material on the curve as it did not line up exactly with the CPR playfield.
IMG_0614 (resized).jpgIMG_0614 (resized).jpgIMG_0615 (resized).jpgIMG_0615 (resized).jpg

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

put a slight bend so not to stick out making a smooth transition from the rubber to the guide.

Nice. I’ve had to do that on a few games. Nothing like smooth as butter transitions while you play. Really speeds up the game too.

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Also added a trough kick out cliffy. Did have to remove a little material on the curve as it did not line up exactly with the CPR playfield.

Wise choice. Keep that shooter lane pretty. Game came out fantastic.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Nice. I’ve had to do that on a few games. Nothing like smooth as butter transitions while you play. Really speeds up the game too.

Wise choice. Keep that shooter lane pretty. Game came out fantastic.

Thanks, Got a couple more small revisions to do while the playfield is out:

Rework the Back flashers. Williams really did a crappy job with the 2 back flashers on High Speed. Gonna put red domes and integrate them more into the game.

Would like to do the removable red domes however may not have room. Might have to stick to the riveted ones. Still a huge improvement. Just waiting for parts to arrive.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Rework the Back flashers. Williams really did a crappy job with the 2 back flashers on High Speed. Gonna put red domes and integrate them more into the game.

Yeah, flashers could often be more interactive. Torpedo Alley is great with that. Synchronized with the pop bumpers, and attract mode, great programming there.

Just got some supplies in for Spidey and Halloween too. Took your advice on the clearcoat. Thanks for the link.

AC1501D7-EC6E-4BAE-8B47-A3DB72BA4DCA (resized).jpegAC1501D7-EC6E-4BAE-8B47-A3DB72BA4DCA (resized).jpeg
#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great, totally worth it to protect the shooter lane. I’ve seen multiple games purchased nib with torn up shooter lanes in a short amount of time.

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Yeah, flashers could often be more interactive. Torpedo Alley is great with that. Synchronized with the pop bumpers, and attract mode, great programming there.
Just got some supplies in for Spidey and Halloween too. Took your advice on the clearcoat. Thanks for the link.
[quoted image]

That clear coat worked great. Goes on real well. you doing any progress posts as you go?

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That clear coat worked great. Goes on real well. you doing any progress posts as you go?

Definitely. Should be cruising over to check in with my buddy this weekend. Should be able to post some more pics of Halloween.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Aren't i worried the ball will hit the screw head now? Or is it up high enough that the ball clears it?

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Aren't i worried the ball will hit the screw head now? Or is it up high enough that the ball clears it?

I held off installing these screws initially. I checked, the ball does clear the screw head. I do want to find screws with lower profile heads. rivet type pins were originally installed however it is very difficult to service the guides in the future.

#120 3 years ago

Damn Dean. I was just scrolling through some old pics, and totally forgot that I had a NOS topper for this game...that I sold about two months before you started this thread. If I still had it, would’ve been great to put it in your hands.

I haven’t seen many of them. I’ll keep my eye out for another one. Come across a lot of parts.

DE8581CA-FF6B-4C4E-88AE-E671D2FC7C87 (resized).jpegDE8581CA-FF6B-4C4E-88AE-E671D2FC7C87 (resized).jpeg7A2B67C8-EF5A-4700-81A3-26B01473CF83 (resized).jpeg7A2B67C8-EF5A-4700-81A3-26B01473CF83 (resized).jpeg

#121 3 years ago

That looks real nice. I actually have one that came wth the complete set I bought from CPR. Thank you for thinking of me though.

I just have not gotten around to putting it on. I just hate drilling into the paint job I did.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That looks real nice. I actually have one that came wth the complete set I bought from CPR. Thank you for thinking of me though.
I just have not gotten around to putting it on. I just hate drilling into the paint job I did.

I agree with that mentality. Velcro?

#123 3 years ago

Ah yes, Velcro. That may just be the answer.

#124 3 years ago

While the Playfield is out, replacing the ramp switches with new switches. Meant to do it during the restore but forgot. All new wiring and plug as well. Waiting on flasher lamp parts to finish then back together it goes.
Ramp_SWS_old2 (resized).JPGRamp_SWS_old2 (resized).JPGRamp_SWS2 (resized).JPGRamp_SWS2 (resized).JPGRamp_Sws_OLD (resized).JPGRamp_Sws_OLD (resized).JPGRamp_sws (resized).JPGRamp_sws (resized).JPG

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

While the Playfield is out, replacing the ramp switches with new switches. Meant to do it during the restore but forgot. All new wiring and plug as well. Waiting on flasher lamp parts to finish then back together it goes.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Glad you went with the red ramp, that's what I have as well. Gonna borrow your pics so I have reference pics. I know there are issues when installing this ramp, just can't remember what though, damn old age lol

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Glad you went with the red ramp, that's what I have as well. Gonna borrow your pics so I have reference pics. I know there are issues when installing this ramp, just can't remember what though, damn old age lol

Yes, I like the red. If you need any other pictures let me know. I have more.

I did not have any problems installing the ramp. It is a tight fit but nothing that is a real pain that I remember.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Yes, I like the red. If you need any other pictures let me know. I have more.
I did not have any problems installing the ramp. It is a tight fit but nothing that is a real pain that I remember.

I remember Freeplay said Something about the install, but I bought the red ramp years ago. I guess I will have to search my emails. Lol

#128 3 years ago

Took care of another item I wanted to change on my #HS restore. The wire ball guide on the left side of the freeway loop originally attached to the ramp. With the installation of the new ramp I was not terribly excited to drill into the ramp and attach the end of the ball guide. So I bent a new wire out of .078 music wire and mounted the end to the spinner mount. So much better than attaching it to the ramp. And since the Freeplay40 ramp is designed to eliminate the cover plastic there is no reason to drill into the ramp.
IMG_0725 (resized).jpgIMG_0725 (resized).jpgIMG_0719 (resized).JPGIMG_0719 (resized).JPGIMG_0718 (resized).JPGIMG_0718 (resized).JPG

#129 3 years ago

Reworked the rear flashers as well. Drilled the plastic in the back left and installed a new red flash cover. I decided not to install a red flash cover over the back right flasher due to limited space. It is not visible anyways so no reason to install a cover. I just relocated it to the small space just behind the freeway loop.
IMG_0717 (resized).JPGIMG_0717 (resized).JPGIMG_0720 (resized).JPGIMG_0720 (resized).JPGIMG_0721 (resized).JPGIMG_0721 (resized).JPGIMG_0722 (resized).JPGIMG_0722 (resized).JPGIMG_0723 (resized).JPGIMG_0723 (resized).JPG

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Reworked the rear flashers as well. Drilled the plastic in the back left and installed a new red flash cover. I decided not to install a red flash cover over the back right flasher due to limited space. It is not visible anyways so no reason to install a cover. I just relocated it to the small space just behind the freeway loop.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I do like the larger dome and flashers

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I do like the larger dome and flashers

Yes, The dome in the back corner is a huge improvement over the stock look. I am very happy with the way it came out.

New ramp switches installed, The game plays Extremely well. Solid and fun. All the work paid off.

IMG_0731 (resized).JPGIMG_0731 (resized).JPG
1 year later
#132 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Which lamp sockets did you use for the upper flasher mod? Part number?

6 months later
#133 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Which lamp sockets did you use for the upper flasher mod? Part number?

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post. I will find the part number and let you know.

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post. I will find the part number and let you know.

All good. I used ones similar to the hideout flashers. I had to tweak them a little but I got them in there. Thanks.

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

All good. I used ones similar to the hideout flashers. I had to tweak them a little but I got them in there. Thanks.

Ok, sorry

I believe I used these...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5106-00

#136 2 years ago

Yep, that's the one. Pics from last Sept.

BTW, which coil stops did you use for the flippers?

P9050139 (resized).JPGP9050139 (resized).JPGP9050140 (resized).JPGP9050140 (resized).JPGP9050141 (resized).JPGP9050141 (resized).JPGP9060142 (resized).JPGP9060142 (resized).JPGP9060143 (resized).JPGP9060143 (resized).JPG
#137 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yep, that's the one. Pics from last Sept.
BTW, which coil stops did you use for the flippers?

Nice Job on the upper right flasher. I did not do the upper right. It is very tight in that space. I switched over to the Parallel 11630 coils. I bought the whole assembly from Marco.

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Nice Job on the upper right flasher. I did not do the upper right. It is very tight in that space. I switched over to the Parallel 11630 coils. I bought the whole assembly from Marco.

Thanks. The right side was a pain. I had a nos plastics set but I used the old ones up there so it can be put back to original some day if needed. I did waste one of the uppers when cutting the hole. Luckily had an extra.

I probably should have went with the parallel flippers too. But I had already bought new standard coils and would have had to change the base plates to be able to add the capacitors. I still need to change out the cab flipper switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration-in-low-speed-jan-2020/page/3?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.