Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DayDay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Recently obtained non working High Speed. Replacing caps and regulator on power board returned machine to working with lights and sound perfect and all gameplay and scoring fine, with one exception. Only one remaining issue with entire machine is of lower left pop bumper not firing when it's leaf switch is activated. Solenoid fires if I ground either lug, so has power. Diodes on solenoid and switch test ok. Switch wire path has full continuity from CPU connector 1J18-4 to ground only when pop bumper leaf switch is closed, so believe wiring is ok. Solenoid fires and scores if metal tab on it's associated Special Solenoid TIP 122 transistor Q69 is grounded. Also, with the wire connector removed from the CPU 1J18 connector pins, grounding the pin on CPU connector 1J18-4 does not fire the solenoid as do the other two pop bumper associated pins 1J18-2 and 1J18-8. Can someone help with troubleshooting the chain of transistor Q69 TIP122 to transistor Q68 2N4401 to IC U45 7402 or even further if you think it's not one of these components. I am very new to all this and learning, so please ask me if there is any other info I can provide to assist in troubleshooting this.
Thanks, Brett

#2 11 years ago

Well, nobody chimed in on this after two days, so I decided to jump right into that big bad scary System 11 board. Luckily, all I had to do was replace the pre-driver transistor Q68 and driver transistor Q69 and all is perfect again. Posted this solution in case anyone has these symptoms in the future.

#3 11 years ago

I had a problem with a few switches and coils on my Taxi. I checked all the transistor voltages. Everything was okay. I ended up tracing down the connector/pins for each one in question. I ended up replacing header pins and replacing/repinning all the wires. Works like a champ now.

Heard the corrosion on the pins may have been caused by battery leakage. I replaced my battery holder with a memory capacitor.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-pop-bumper-troubleshooting-for-not-firing-from-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.