• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

r&d (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I have a High Speed that came with a blown out pop bumper coil. Coil and diode replaced but nothing happens. Also new rottendog MPU board that seems to work fine.

Here is what I have done:
1. Pop does not trigger in coil test but the coil switch does indicate on switch edge test

2. Switch for pop bumper (playfield) does not indicate closed on switch edge test
a. I also connect the switch on the backside, no indication during test

3. Checked wire continuity back to board and both seemed to check out

4. Switch seems to work because I tied it to an adjacent pop bumper and it activated

Any thoughts on what to try next? Everything else on the machine seems to work fine.

Thanks

John

#2 4 years ago

bumping for the evening crowd

#3 4 years ago

Blown out coils often take out the associated transistors (or vice versa), take a look at those and see if they're toasty. I have a thread troubleshooting a High Speed bumper that might help, lemme find it...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-pop-bumper-coil-locked-on

#5 4 years ago

New rottendog board, just took it out to double check. All transistors look good. Will refer to pop bumper thread though, thanks.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Did you check for voltage at the both coil lugs?

#7 4 years ago

30V at both lugs, same as others. Still am not seeing anything obvious. All transistors look good but haven't tested yet.

#8 4 years ago

You never said which pop has the problem.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

New rottendog board, just took it out to double check. All transistors look good. Will refer to pop bumper thread though, thanks.

I don't think you check transistors by looking at them. And it is difficult to test them on the board.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

I don't think you check transistors by looking at them. And it is difficult to test them on the board.

Good point. I don't see any obvious blow outs on the transistors which I have experienced in the past. Possible that they are bad. The board is new. Still possible though.

Right pop bumper is the one I am having problems with.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Right pop bumper is the one I am having problems with.

This controlled by Q-73. On a RD board I think this is Q-8. If you place the game in solenoid test and lock it on solenoid 19. Use a logic probe and check both sides of R-20 for pulses. If this is good turn off the power, then remove 1J-19 connector from the board. Turn on the power and use a jumper wire that is connected to ground on one end. Take the other end of the jumper and briefly touch the blue/orange wire on the connector. Does the pop work now? If yes then you need to test the switch input for the pop. Take the logic probe and touch it to 1J-18 pin 2, it should read high, now press the skirt of the right pop, the probe should show a low each time you press on the skirt. If this is good then you need to replace Q-8.

#12 4 years ago

Be glad Grumpy is here ... he's the High Speed whisperer!

#13 4 years ago

Thanks Grumpy. Step 1 - get a logic probe. Amazon will have it here tomorrow.

What are the chances that I damaged the board by hooking it up with a blown coil? I know better for the future. The thing that confuses me is that the pop bumper switch does not register under switch test but the EOS switch for the pop bumper does.

I will update once I get the probe, thanks again.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Be glad Grumpy is here ... he's the High Speed whisperer!

Even with the pop bumper out I really enjoy playing this machine, definitely worth putting the time it to get it working right.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Thanks Grumpy. Step 1 - get a logic probe. Amazon will have it here tomorrow.
What are the chances that I damaged the board by hooking it up with a blown coil? I know better for the future. The thing that confuses me is that the pop bumper switch does not register under switch test but the EOS switch for the pop bumper does.
I will update once I get the probe, thanks again.

No confusion needed - the activation switch for a special solenoid is not part of the switch matrix. What you are calling the end of stroke switch isn't really an end of stroke switch in the sense like an EM would use - it's the scoring switch, and IS part of the switch matrix. This is why it shows in test.

Special solenoids are activated by the activation switch sending a ground pulse to the special solenoid circuit - so with a multimeter you can measure the lugs on the activation switch. One of them should show it's connected to ground.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

What are the chances that I damaged the board by hooking it up with a blown coil?

Very likely.

Quoted from ViperJelly:

the EOS switch for the pop bumper does.

This is the score switch.

Quoted from ViperJelly:

The thing that confuses me is that the pop bumper switch does not register under switch test

This is the activation switch.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

then you need to test the switch input for the pop. Take the logic probe and touch it to 1J-18 pin 2, it should read high, now press the skirt of the right pop, the probe should show a low each time you press on the skirt.

And this is how you test it.

#17 4 years ago

Great info, thanks all. Logic probe incoming with my "daily" amazon deliveries tomorrow.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Great info, thanks all. Logic probe incoming with my "daily" amazon deliveries tomorrow.

Could you post a link to the one you bought? I gotta get one too.

#20 4 years ago

I bought the same from Amazon. Couple bucks more but 2 day shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z9HAP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

#22 4 years ago

Use a logic probe and check both sides of R-20 for pulses. - Works

If this is good turn off the power, then remove 1J-19 connector from the board. Turn on the power and use a jumper wire that is connected to ground on one end. Take the other end of the jumper and briefly touch the blue/orange wire on the connector. Does the pop work now? - Works

Take the logic probe and touch it to 1J-18 pin 2, it should read high, now press the skirt of the right pop, the probe should show a low each time you press on the skirt. - Works

Looks like it is still Q73 replacement per the rottendog drawing, thoughts? Also, thanks for the help.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#23 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Looks like it is still Q73 replacement per the rottendog drawing, thoughts? Also, thanks for the help.

RD may have change there labeling to stop confusing techs. My down load is @ 6 years old. When you pull the board test for continuity from Q-73 (Q-8) drain to 1J-19 pin 3 to make sure that it's not a cracked or burnt trace. If continuity is good then replace Q-73. This is a mosfet, not a transistor so be careful when installing as these are static sensitive.

r&d (resized).PNGr&d (resized).PNG
#24 4 years ago

Is 22NE10L an acceptable replacement for 20N10L? Seems like it should be.

#26 4 years ago

You should always replace the coil diode anytime the coil has locked on. 1n4007

#27 4 years ago

Thanks Grumpy. Coil and diode are both new.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Thanks Grumpy. Coil and diode are both new.

I know, but if it got locked on during any of this it needs to be replaced.

#29 4 years ago

IRL540 replacement fixed issue.

Thank you Grumpy for leading me through this and thank you Todd at Big Daddy Enterprises for getting me the part so quickly.

#30 4 years ago

Playball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-pop-bumper-issue?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.