Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160605_103042_(resized).jpg
red_minipost_(resized).jpg
20160530_185929_(resized).jpg
20160530_190059_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello:
I have a High Speed that needs a few playfield repairs.
First question:
Can you tell me where this RED piece goes? I found it bouncing around the playfield tonight. Can't really find a location for the item.
Second question:
I have a new replacement ramp (last one Marco Specialities had in stock). It looks straightforward to replace except for the mounting to the playfield wood (see pic). I assume it was once nailed down as I can see the nail body is still stuck into the wood, but nothing to grab to get the nails out. Can I drill a small hole and use flathead screws and washer to boldt from the bottom of the playfield?
I may go with a clear ramp and keep the original ramp as a spare. Any advice here?
Thanks for the help!
Have a nice day, Bill

20160530_190059_(resized).jpg20160530_190059_(resized).jpg

20160530_185929_(resized).jpg20160530_185929_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I've done two playfield swaps on High Speeds and I don't recognize that red piece. As far as the two hold downs at the entrance... The ramp is secured to the playfield with two small wood screws. If there is a broken off piece of the old screw there I would dig it out and then refill both old holes. You would then position the new ramp and mark where the new hold down screws would go, then drill small tap holes....but don't do that until you decide whether you will put the Marco's black or my clear one in as the holes might be slightly different as far as location.

#3 7 years ago

It looks like a broken mini post.
Not sure where it goes but this might help you sleuth it out.red_minipost_(resized).jpgred_minipost_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

The mini-posts are typically mounted on the top of a plastic as a decorative piece. Have a look at the photos on ipdb.org and you should be able to find it.

The ramp was not originally nailed. I would presume that is a hack, either because a mounting piece was broken or they didn't have the correct hardware. Try the high speed club and someone should be able to get you some photos of the correct mounting.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I found one location where the post screw has no nut, but it can't fit there as it is too tall. All acorn nuts are in place except this one post screw. Mysterious.

I assume Plastic Wood makes a good filler? Any tips on extraction of the broken off screws in the playfield? Can't seem to get to them from underneath, and I don't want to drill them out.

Also, it looks as if the metal part of the ramp entrance should be flush with the playfield. In other words, these wood screws do not go in at an angle.

Thanks again for the support. I love pinball, but am starting to wonder if machine ownership is for me. Seems like I am always repairing something.

Have a nice day.

#6 7 years ago

I finally figured out that's a ramp flap in the photo (doh). Use a pair of diag cutters with a fine tip (electronic type). Go in at a 45 degree angle and see if you can grab the screw and rotate it. You're likely to widen the hole a little and then can use one of the techniques below. I've come across cases where there was no choice but to widen the hole and use vice-grips.

The screws should not be at an angle, they will still get the ramp flush.

If you can't repair the hole with toothpicks and wood glue then use a two part wood putty like Quickwood. I would not used plastic wood in structural repairs.

Quoted from billccm:

Seems like I am always repairing something.

That is pinball ownership. Just chalk it up as a learning experience.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks! I found a JBWeld product called KwikWood; assume this is the product you recommend.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from billccm:

Thanks! I found a JBWeld product called KwikWood; assume this is the product you recommend.

Yes.

#9 7 years ago

Another question: I assume #4 flat wood screws are what is used here. Anyone know if 1/2, or 1 inch?
Thanks for the support and help!
Have a nice day.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The mini-posts are typically mounted on the top of a plastic as a decorative piece.

I have to agree. High Speed has a lot of places the ball can get stuck on top of plastics. Mine had several plastic star posts mounted above to keep the ball moving. Probably the only thing an operator had at the time to do a fix.

#12 7 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. The ramp is out and will be shipped to Freeplay40 for clear ramp work.

I did get the broken ramp screws out! Damage is minimal. I may not need the Kwikwood.

This ramp has been changed out before; the Molex harness had been cut and re-soldered with heat shrink insulation. I assume this is the only easy way to pull the ramp? Anyhow, I cut the heat shrink and unsoldered the wires.

I have a few questions:
1) The wire ramp tubes were not screwed down on the exit ends. I assume this is not preferred? Any suggestions on what screw is used here?
2) The right side red lamp and plastics is not mounted, or has anything to hold it up (see picture). What is supposed to go here? I see a screw hole below the plastics, but no screw hole in the plastics?

I vacuumed the playfield and cleaned with rubbing alcohol (very dirty). Followed up with some non abrasive car wax. Everything looks good. I hope I did not break anything. Is there some test I can perform while the ramp is out to make certain I didn't break something? I assume I could do at minimum a lamp test?

Thanks for the help.

Take care, Bill

20160605_103042_(resized).jpg20160605_103042_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

I received the clear ramp from Freeplay40, and I must say it is a work of art. The new ramp is of high quality and looks great in the machine. Freeplay40 also helped with some installation support, which I appreciated. I also had a very quick turnaround in less than a full week including shipping both ways!

Installation was a nightmare. I must have an oddball machine as nothing aligned anywhere. Freeplay40 noticed that the switchplate was different than others he had retrofit, and this was the first clue to my nightmare ahead. After 10 hours, of which 1 hour was looking for screws I had dropped on the floor and had to search and fish out of the playfield, I finally have a fully functional High Speed. I'll spare you all of the details, but I will say this was not an easy job for me!

One comment for anyone considering this upgrade: Relocate the traffic light! My wife was dead against this, but with the clear ramp I don't feel it looks quite right. The ramp seems to be a bit taller than the original, so mounting the traffic light to clear the glass towards the ramp entrance looks funny to me.

I'll post a separate question concerning hardware in this forum later.

Thanks again for all of the help in your replies, comments, and opinions.

Take care, Bill

1 month later
#14 7 years ago
Quoted from billccm:

2) The right side red lamp and plastics is not mounted, or has anything to hold it up (see picture). What is supposed to go here? I see a screw hole below the plastics, but no screw hole in the plastics?

Something isn't right there... Not certain what is missing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-playfield-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.