(Topic ID: 182822)

High speed -- Overlay or leave it alone?

By ScoopLV

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ScoopLV
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi!

New user. (I wanted to add a reply to the "overlays done right" thread from a year ago, but that was a no-go.)

Just received my first machine -- Williams High Speed. My three favorite games are Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness and High Speed. In order to keep my wife happy, I went with High Speed.

The game plays GREAT. 10 out of 10. Five stars. Whatever scale you want to use.

The playfield is showing its age. Scratches, worn sections, etc. There are also some scratches and gouges on the cabinet. I have ABSOLUTELY no intention of doing anything other than enjoying my game for awhile. But eventually, I know I'm going to want to turn it into a showpiece.

What's the consensus on replacement overlays?

#2 7 years ago

Congrats on your first game

Quoted from ScoopLV:

What's the consensus on replacement overlays?

They are inferior to actual paint and basically a last resort for a playfield that's beyond saving. They can wrinkle, bubble, rip, and wear badly.

Depending on how bad the wear is on your playfield, you may be able to get away with some touch-ups and decals for some of the common wear areas.

Post a couple photos of your game--someone might be able to give you some direction based on the condition of your particular game.

Quoted from ScoopLV:

But eventually, I know I'm going to want to turn it into a showpiece.

If you're serious about turning it into a collector's quality show piece, sending the playfield to a restorer (or even the whole game, depending on how much you want to spend) would be the way to go. You're probably looking at $500 minimum, depending on how much work needs to be done.

But if you're happy playing it as-is, that's fine too. Wax it up and play away

#3 7 years ago

I'll post pix when it's light out.

I figured I have the resource of having the Pinball Hall of Fame down the road from me. I was planning on dropping in on them and asking them as well.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. Like I said, the machine plays GREAT. I racked up 15 million on my second game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-overlay-or-leave-it-alone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.