(Topic ID: 65238)

High Speed or Getaway-HS2 - Which should I buy? (now w/ poll)

By PC-Pin-NC

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by kyle5574
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“High Speed or Getaway-HS2 - Which should I buy? (now w/ poll)”

• High Speed is the better pin to have in collection 10 votes
    24%
  • Getaway - High Speed 2 is the better pin to have in a collection 31 votes
    76%

(41 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_8.JPG
hs-mylar-5.jpg
hs-mylar-4.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have local options on a very nice HS and a very nice Getaway. I'm just getting into pins, started two months ago and picked up three A-list games. Now looking at one of these two machines to expand my collection. Just wondering from some of you who have played or owned both, if you had a preference, which would you buy?

#2 10 years ago

I played the hell out of HS when I was younger, and still prefer it to Getaway. Also, the ZZ top music starts to grind on me after a while, and I really like the original music in HS.

#3 10 years ago

This thread is going to get real polarized, real fast!

I personally prefer The Getaway, but think both are excellent games and recommend you play the living daylights out of both.

#4 10 years ago

Getaway. Pretty easy decision in my opinion.

#5 10 years ago

Given your collection I would go HS, you already have deep DMD pins go for an alpha numeric classic. If it were your one and only game Getaway would be the way to go.

I really like each game a bunch I would have a hard time choosing, I had the space and cash I would wind up with both.

#6 10 years ago

Get High Speed only if has nostalgia for you. If not, the Getaway then. It is just a better game. Mine will be with me for a long time.
Nice pin collection so far.

#7 10 years ago

Definitely HS. Mine is going nowhere. I have passed on many opportunities for a Getaway. However, neither is particularly expensive and if you have the coin and the room, why not both and sell whichever you don't like as well later?

#8 10 years ago

They're both arguably worth owning. It all comes down to personal preference between the two. However, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one!!!

#9 10 years ago

I have owned both. HS still remains. A nicer HS is harder to fing that a nice getaway. The sequels are never as good as the originals. HS is a true classic.

#10 10 years ago

Getaway all the way and come down and buy mine

#11 10 years ago

Both good choices. Getaway, if I'm making the decision.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for all of your suggestions with good reasoning behind each. At this point it is 4 to 4, but I can't really count little-italy's because he has a vested interest But I will definitely keep you in mind if I go with the Getaway because you're only about 45 minutes away and you do have a nice one based on the pics in your post.

#13 10 years ago

games with mylar on them that isn't in grade A shape might be a reason to head the other way

#14 10 years ago

attached pics are what perished mylar removal on a HS comes out like.

hs-mylar-4.jpghs-mylar-4.jpg hs-mylar-5.jpghs-mylar-5.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Both!

photo_8.JPGphoto_8.JPG

#16 10 years ago

The Getaway. The supercharger is just too much fun!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

I have local options on a very nice HS and a very nice Getaway. I'm just getting into pins, started two months ago and picked up three A-list games. Now looking at one of these two machines to expand my collection. Just wondering from some of you who have played or owned both, if you had a preference, which would you buy?

Listen to the people that have owned both. I used to own a Getaway, now have a High Speed.

High Speed is the cooler machine.

Better lighting (more flashers).
Better sounds (classic old school game sounds).
Has spinners, Getaway does not.
Real backglass.

Getaway has some added benefit of more rules, but they did not go very far with additions. The ramp accelerator thing is cool, but does not really make the game more fun long term.

#18 10 years ago

Getaway!!!! ...but I'm more of a DMD era guy I just love the Super Charger too much.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

attached pics are what perished mylar removal on a HS comes out like.

Wiredoug, is the mylar issue on the HS and not the HS2?

#20 10 years ago

badpenny61, which do you actually like best?

(sorry for multiple posts - I haven't figured out how to quote 2 simultaneously )

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Wiredoug, is the mylar issue on the HS and not the HS2?

Yes. Getaway is generally a clearcoated (diamond plate) playfield without mylar. High Speed has Mylar covering substantial portions of the playfield.

And yes, my name is now Wiredoug.

#22 10 years ago

HS2 is probably a better game but HS is the one for me.

Sam

#23 10 years ago

Add poll?

#24 10 years ago

I thought about that when creating this, but good suggestion. Poll added! Now I don't have to hand count them...I'm running out of fingers

#25 10 years ago

Who just voted before me?

#26 10 years ago

Personal choice,i love the getaway and cant wait to own one again but I noticed you had high speed on your wish list and not getaway,so go with your heart.

#27 10 years ago

Actually should have started my post by saying congratualations on the great new hobby choice and welcome to the pinside!You wont be disappointed which ever game you choose because both are great pins and classic Williams games.Warning-pinball is addictive!!!

#28 10 years ago

Right now HS2 sits at #26 on the top 100, and HS sits at 72. Based on that, I would think the voting here would be about 2 in favor of HS2.

I had both sitting side by side for a while. HS ended up leaving. In fact, it was the only game I've gotten rid of so far. It was a good game, but I really like the deeper rules of the DMD, and I also love the shifter. It feels good to reach down and grab a gear while playing, as you have to do it when your ball is in a relatively safe place on the playfield. The shifter is pretty unique among pins. The Super Charger is also cool, and it's fun to try to park 2 or 3 balls in it during multiball. If you can get 3 balls in it, it can shake the cabinet pretty good which is cool.

HS does have the cool road sign spinners, and the ramp going to "hideout" is cool, and makes total sense themewise (as in get away from the cops by going to the hideout). I wish HS2 had those cool spinners!

Either way you go, both are great games.

Jeff R.

#29 10 years ago

I have owned both High Speed and Getaway.

One thing that has always bothered me about Getaway is that the main toy, the Supercharger, is cool, but seems rather pointless. I find it ironic that the moment the ball is traveling fastest (while it is whipping around the supercharger track) is one of the best moments in the game to catch your breath. Let's review that again - in Getaway, the game is least exciting when the ball is fastest. Is there any other pinball with this contradiction? There is comparatively less time to catch your breath in High Speed and the ramp shot is more critical to the game, making it more thrilling when you hit it.

I have no nostalgic feelings for either. I sold Getaway after a month and have kept High Speed for approximately a year now. If you have nostalgia for one of the titles, you should indulge - don't underestimate how much that is worth.

#30 10 years ago

One more note: a technician once told me that he thinks Getaway is one of the most reliable machines out there. In that sense, it is a great first machine.

#31 10 years ago

.....and the voting is 2 in favor of The Getaway......as it should be.

HS is a great pin, HS2 is a little greater.

#32 10 years ago

The getaway was my first machine too, I think it's an awesome first machine. The machine is a ton of fun to play, great light show, interactivity with the shifter, and adrenaline pumping action. I pit real rubber post bumpers on mine and it speeds it up even more.

I'd go with HS2 if I were you... (nice rhyme eh

#33 10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input on this topic. Also thanks for the votes. Astropin is correct on the 2 to 1 ratio of votes.

However, based on some of the posts I read above, I am leaning towards HS. Another reason for this is that all of the machines I own are fairly deep and can be complicated: TZ, TOM, IJ and Tron. When non-pinheads and my grandkids come over, they lose interest quickly because they have a difficult time with my other machines. Therefore, HS seems to me to be more of a basic fun pin that my grandkids and friends would pick up quicker and perhaps enjoy playing more. Based on the little I know about these two pins, HS seems like it would be simpler and more basic than HS2. Does that make sense?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input on this topic. Also thanks for the votes. Astropin is correct on the 2 to 1 ratio of votes.
However, based on some of the posts I read above, I am leaning towards HS. Another reason for this is that all of the machines I own are fairly deep and can be complicated: TZ, TOM, IJ and Tron. When non-pinheads and my grandkids come over, they lose interest quickly because they have a difficult time with my other machines. Therefore, HS seems to me to be more of a basic fun pin that my grandkids and friends would pick up quicker and perhaps enjoy playing more. Based on the little I know about these two pins, HS seems like it would be simpler and more basic than HS2. Does that make sense?

Yes that makes total sense, to me anyway. Your getting games not just for you but for ANYONE who comes to your house. If you have some games they find enjoyable they are less likely to look at you like you have a screw loose for buying them because they can relate to them. Like you said if a game is to hard they loose interest. Space Shuttle is a fun game but pretty simple to master the rules like HS and like HS it has a GREAT light and sound show. Get HS and you grandkids and friends will have fun.

#35 10 years ago

Buy both, you end up selling one.

#36 10 years ago

Looks like you've got another Getaway as a backup!

I won't vote since I've never played HS, but I do love my HS2. The shifter is fun and I love trying to get multiple balls in the supercharger. Given your current collection though, I think you need a System 11.

#37 10 years ago

Double post

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-or-getaway-hs2-which-should-i-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.