(Topic ID: 266675)

High Speed: One bulb out #39

By The_Great_Man

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2474 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

I got my High Speed about a month ago and I have been changing bulbs to try to find the right combination. I finally got the "right" combination and when I went to put the game on this morning, the Lamp 39 Ramp Earns Hideout bulb was out. And this was the only bulb that had a problem. I went in and changed the bulb but still it did not work. I cleaned inside the bulb holder with an eraser but still did not work. The wiring all looks good. I have attached a picture of the non-working bulb socket and wiring. I did a little research and determined that maybe it was the diode. The diode appears to be attached properly. I am not good at all with a digital multimeter - Do not understand any of the settings - even though I am pretty handy and usually pretty smart. The whole electronics thing is difficult for me. I have a GE2524 multimeter and I think it works. My questions are: (1) Since it is only 1 bulb am I correct to think it probably is the bulb socket/holder or the diode? (2) How do I check to know which one it is? I am sure this issue has been talked about on many prior forums but I could not find them during my search. Thank you all for any help you might give me?

IMG_2474 (resized).JPGIMG_2474 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago
    Quoted from The_Great_Man:

I am not good at all with a digital multimeter - Do not understand any of the settings - even though I am pretty handy and usually pretty smart. The whole electronics thing is difficult for me. I have a GE2524 multimeter

So get good. Only take a few minutes. Youtube is littered with short how to check voltage and meter videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GE2524+multimeter

Then measure power to the socket - if you have power then bad bulb or bad socket. No power - then likely what drives it on the board in the head is bad. Though you could check continuity of each wire from the socket to the board in the head, so see if one iwre has a break somewhere.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. I do seem to have power getting to the socket. Does that mean that the diode is good? Or could the diode still be bad and even though I am getting power - the bulb does not work because the diode is not good? And since it is in a string of lights (5 lights that seem to be connected together) - I thought that since it was the only one in the string not working - the board must be working and the problem is more likely at the socket itself. Is there a way to check if the socket does not work or is it more a matter of eliminating all other possibilities?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from The_Great_Man:

Is there a way to check if the socket does not work or is it more a matter of eliminating all other possibilities?

Carefully check for power inside the socket.

You could unhook the wires, briefly short them to a bulb. If the bulb lights, then you'd know.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago

I was thinking of shutting the pin off - then hooking up an outside power supply with alligator clips directly to the bulb socket. Then I would know that power was getting to the socket. If it still does not go on then I think I know it is the socket.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-one-bulb-out-39?hl=the_great_man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.