(Topic ID: 165894)

high speed no sound effects system 11

By Bigbad

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

i have a high speed system 11 and my sound effects do not work....but my background sound works no problem ive replaced just about every ic that have anything to do with my sound ive replaced my sound roms (u21, u22) i did not replace any capacitors but i pulled them off and did a uf check on them with my meter and seem fine....if anyone has any ideas that would be great

#2 7 years ago

You need to get an oscilloscope on the sound mixer section of the MPU. (Not the background sounds board)

1 month later
#3 7 years ago

Bigbad,

I have the same issue. My music is fine, but no sound effects or speech.

I'm told that something is wrong with the CPU board. I have minor alkaline corrosion but it is limited to only 10 or so components and all adjacent traces appear to have 0 ohms, I am lucky.

Possibly it's an EPROM, but I suspect discrete components instead.

I'm having my board inspected today, perhaps I can let you know what problems need to be fixed on my board.

Tim

#4 7 years ago

OK, so I got a chance to work with Keith at K's Arcade in person.

My board has more corrosion than previously thought, so now I'm less optimistic, as my display PIA's are likely shot.

For the no sound/speech but music works issue... There is hope for my board, he found corrosion under the 6802 chip (U24) so that socket is definitely toast. My sound ROMs appear to be OK visually...

He will re-cap the electrolytics and replace the CPU socket, clean a little bit of corrosion and test. If the sound and speech returns, great, but there's more...

If the traces to the display header (from the PIA's) are OK, he might tackle replacing the PIAs. What appears to be a 'clean' board for me, isn't, even though 80% of it is working...

I hope this sheds light on the missing sound/speech issue. Good Luck.

-sigh-

#5 7 years ago

*UPDATE*

Board has been repaired.

Corrosion caused the sound CPU to fail as stated above. Everything re-capped and display issues are fixed too.

What appears to "look OK" on the surface to normal people, often isn't "OK" to a technician with experience and proper test equipment! This is true with many other things, such as automobiles.

Surface corrosion shows up at the pins of the IC's as dull grey solder, instead of shiny silver solder. If you have board issues, or quirks, take a look under the socketed chips if you can.

I really lucked out this time, and continue to learn about these amazing machines, and the people, like you Pinsiders, who are passionate about them.

I had K's socket my RAM chip as well, so I can install NVRAM, which I ordered.

Should be playing machine later today!

Thanks for following.

Tim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-no-sound-effects-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.