Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210117_095314[1] (resized).jpg
    20210116_113340a (resized).jpg
    20210105_192512 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    jedi-you-are-not-sillyoldwoman1 (resized).jpg
    2020-12-30 15_28_25-Microsoft Excel - pinball resistor test (resized).jpg
    20201230_144527 (resized).jpg
    20201230_093000 (resized).jpg
    20201230_092944 (resized).jpg
    aaa (resized).jpg
    ccc (resized).jpg
    aaa (resized).jpg
    bbb (resized).jpg
    aaa (resized).jpg
    aaa (resized).jpg
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

Yes you will leave the 3 connectors off until you issues are corrected. After replacing Q-74/Q-75, Then we will have to troubleshoot Q-6 issues.

#52 3 years ago

Update.

Q75 and Q76 Replaced
    Diodes on Left Kicked and Top Jet Bumper replace in proper orientation
    Mounted the MPU back in. Attached all the connectors.

F4 did not Blow
    Started a game. 90% success

Still have no response from left kicker. Ran coil test. Left kicker does not fire. Rechecked Q75 seems fine.
    Ideas on this one. I do have another 23-800-3 coil. So I could replace that, if you think that could be the issue.

Almost there!!!

Side note: When I ran the Switch Test, I got 9 - Outhole & 12 - Right Trough I have 3 balls in the game if that matter. These switch errors don't seem to effect game place, from I can tell''

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eagle509:

Update.
    Q75 and Q76 Replaced
    Diodes on Left Kicked and Top Jet Bumper replace in proper orientation
    Mounted the MPU back in. Attached all the connectors.
    F4 did not Blow
    Started a game. 90% success
    Still have no response from left kicker. Ran coil test. Left kicker does not fire. Rechecked Q75 seems fine.
    Ideas on this one. I do have another 23-800-3 coil. So I could replace that, if you think that could be the issue.
    Almost there!!!
    Side note: When I ran the Switch Test, I got 9 - Outhole & 12 - Right Trough I have 3 balls in the game if that matter. These switch errors don't seem to effect game place, from I can tell''

The switch test is not telling you anything about switch errors, it is telling you which switches are currently activated. With the balls in the game the switch test should indicate the trough switches are active. That is a good thing!

As for the kicker coil, you can test for power. With the game on, DMM set to DC volts, place black lead on ground strap in cabinet and check for voltage at both lugs of the coil with the red lead.

#54 3 years ago

Game on in attract mode.
    The left kicker has power to both lugs
    Under the playing field, I put an alligator clip on the metal side rail and touched to the blue wire of the coil
    (ground lead), the coil fired.
    Next in the black

Game on in Diagnostic mode.
    In the backbox, I put the alligator clip on the grounding strap and touched the other end to the tab of Q75, the coil fired.

I replaced the Q74 pre-driver transistor earlier today, when I replaced Q75.

I had replace the 7402 chip at U45 earlier in this endevor.

So once again I am at a loose as to what to try next.

Could it be the leaf switches ???

#55 3 years ago

So the kicker doesn't work in a game and in coil test. Most likely you damaged a trace on the board when you changed U-45. Pin 11 and pin 12 would be where your issue is.

Start a game and test the voltage on each pin and let me know.

#56 3 years ago

U45 was socket. Probably on a repair done by Ed Cheung back in 2016.

Started a game
    Pin 10 was .174 V
    Pin 11 was .130 V

SO that's like next to nothing.

#57 3 years ago

Leave the chip in the socket when testing. You need to start a game.

Quoted from Eagle509:

Pin 10 was .174 V
    Pin 11 was .130 V

I need 11 and 12.

#58 3 years ago

I didn't remove the chip from the socket.
    Started a new game

Pin 11 - .130 v
    Pin 12 - 4.922

#59 3 years ago

Start a game and check pin 12 again, while testing push on the rubber for the kicker so that switch closes. The voltage should drop to less than 0.8 volts.

#60 3 years ago

voltage was 4.922
    dropped to .039

alot more than .8 obviously

so what does that mean

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eagle509:

so what does that mean

This means everything is good so far.

Repeat the same test, but this time test pin 13.

#62 3 years ago

Pin 13
    voltage was .178
    changed to 4.916 when rubber held

#63 3 years ago

Repeat same test while testing the base of Q-74.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #64 3 years ago

q74 Base

voltage was .179
    changed to 4.916 when rubber held

#65 3 years ago

Repeat same test while testing the base of Q-75

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #66 3 years ago

q75
    26.69 same when rubber held

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eagle509:

26.69 same when rubber held

Are you sure you tested the base?

#68 3 years ago

Oop I did the collector

Base. .005 v. No change when rubber held

#69 3 years ago

Test both sides of R-98.

#70 3 years ago

4.924 both sides

#71 3 years ago

Well, either the Q-74 predriver is bad or the soldering on the collector or emitter is bad. You could test the collector for 5 volts, then do an ohm test from the emitter to the base of Q-75. Ohms should be near zero. If both of these are good then you have a bad transistor.

#72 3 years ago

pulled the board out again to inspect the solders on q74 and q75. Ahhhhh found by led magnifier, the base leg of Q75, I could see that the pad was raised away from the base leg. I was able to solder it back together.

Reinstalled the board and BINGO I have a fully functioning pinball machine.

Grumpy I have to thank you for all your help and patience with me. I have learned a lot through this process. One is that my soldering skills need some work.

Once again THANKS Grumpy you are the greatest !!

#73 3 years ago

Playball!!

#74 3 years ago

looks like I got to excited upon success, it was short lived. Played 5 games, all good and F2 blows on the power supply board. Uggg

And that was my last 2.5A slow blow fuse. I ordered some couple days ago, so will be next week sometime, depending on USPS

#75 3 years ago

F-2 powers the coils/relays on one of the red wires. You can use coil test when you replace the fuse to test. Note which coils are on the red power wires, run coil test on these coils. Use the up/down button to repeat the same coil over and over. Watch the fuse when the coil fires, you may see the filament moving or glowing when you get to the bad coil.

#76 3 years ago

Post a picture of the power supply. Take a voltage reading from test point #1 on the power supply also.

#77 3 years ago

5.018 at Test 1

20210105_192512 (resized).jpg20210105_192512 (resized).jpg
    #78 3 years ago

This is good, what do you read at test points 3 and 4.

#79 3 years ago

Test Point 3 12.26
    Test Point 4 -13.64

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eagle509:

Test Point 3 12.26
    Test Point 4 -13.64

These are good too. There are some test points on the cpu. Can you put the red lead on the 5 volt test point, and the black lead on the ground test point. Let me know what these read.

#81 3 years ago

4.967 V

#82 3 years ago

Nothing out of place so far.

You could reseat the game ROMs and the processor chips and retest.

#83 3 years ago

I am thinking that I just play it a while, once I get the new flipper from Marco. See what happens. Then we go back and visit any issues, that need addressed.

#84 3 years ago

Got the flippers today. Replaced both the lower flippers, Left one doesn't seem to want to stay in place, once tightened.

Started up the game and got an "Adjust Switch" warning on:
    39 Upper Left Hideout
    42 Left Ramp
    46 Right Spinner

Then I did put it in test mode - Switch Edges The following switches did not get a display reading
    15 , 23, 31, 39, 47 and 42 46

I noticed that the first group of 5 were all on the row of the switch matrix 1J10-2 Wht-Vio So tightened that wire in the connector. 15, 23, 31, 39 and 47 all started working.

Now when I start the game I get "Adjust Switch" warning on 42 & 46. I checked all the wires on 1J8 & 1J10, still getting the same warnings on game start, and nothing on switch edge test.

So making progress anyways.

Suggestions ?

#85 3 years ago

I would look for a broken wire at one of these two switches or the previous switch in line. The switches are not in the order the manual list them, they are wired to save wire.

1 week later
    #86 3 years ago

Back at it today. Still getting "Adjust Switch" 42 & 46

I checked continuity from j8-7, to all switches below in the Switch Matrix Table, 41,42,42,44,45,46,47 & 48. And all the combinations of those switches. All had continuity between them.

Did the same for j10-8 and j10-3.

Don't see any broken wires, and nothing seems to be grounding.

I have punched down all wires on J8 & J10.

This has to be something simple, but I just don't see it.

Ideas??

#87 3 years ago

Bad diodes.

#88 3 years ago

I replaced the diodes on 42 and 46. Good new and bad news. 46 is up and running. Bad news: Still getting adjust switch on 42.

Below is the diode I replaced for 42. Is that the correct one or is there on on the actual switch under the ramp?

20210116_113340a (resized).jpg20210116_113340a (resized).jpg
    #89 3 years ago

I think I may have isolated the problem with 42. Both micro switchs, 42 & 43, come down to a plug, they share the Grn-Blu wire. Wht-Red is for 42 Wht-Orn is for 43.
    I disconnected the plug, put the DMM on 43, engaged the micro switch and got a reading. When I did the same with 42, I got no reading.

So I'm thinking the micro switch, SW-1A-160, may be bad. Or possibly I broke wire at the switch. Will have to take out the ramp to get to it.

Your thoughts, before I do that? I understand SW-1A-160 is hard to find.

#90 3 years ago

Your thinking is right on track. The wire could be broken or the contacts maybe dirty. The wire form maybe bent not allowing the switch contacts to close. Only removing the ramp will tell you what's next.

#91 3 years ago

Pulled the ramp. and took off the switch at 42, pic below. No way this was going to make contact. so 42 was in a constant open stage. Obviously a problem with the switch, but with it being open, why would it generate an "Adjust Switch" error on power up.

is there a good way to bend the contacts back in line, or best to replace the switch (witch I'm not sure I can find).

I also found another 2 1/2 inch crack in the ramp, that I didn't know was there.

20210117_095314[1] (resized).jpg20210117_095314[1] (resized).jpg
    #92 3 years ago

When the game doesn't see a switch closed in @ 30 games it give an alert a start up so the operator knows that there is a problem.

#93 3 years ago

You can bend it back, just be careful. There is a tool for this or you can use pliers.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

Clean the contacts by closing the switch with your fingers while pulling a new dollar bill thru the closed contacts.

#94 3 years ago

I now have a fully functioning High Speed.

Grumpy, I truly appreciate all your help and patience.

#95 3 years ago

Playball!!

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-need-help/page/2?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.