By Hotelone

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi All;

I've got an annoying problem with my recently acquired High Speed. When I got it it would display the error knocks on start-up and report the "Check Switch 38 - RT Flipper EOS" and the right upper flipper would occasionally work. I replaced both EOS switches on the right side, upper and lower, adjusted them, and also adjusted both flipper button switches. The flippers work perfectly every time now but the switch tests still report the same error. Also of interest, when imputing high scores the right flipper is not recognized, you have to scroll backwards with the left flipper. It's almost like the flipper isn't there even though it's working now. I'm pretty new at this so any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!

Vince

#2 9 years ago

It's the lane-change switch on the EOS stack that isn't working. It's for entering high scores and revving the engine when the ball is in the shooter lane.

The one with big tungsten contacts controls the power flipper - it's not this one - the game cannot actually detect that switch at all; note this switch should OPEN when the flipper fires. It also has nothing to do with the flipper button switches.

There's a second switch with gold contacts and a plastic shim on it that is wired into the switch matrix. It should close when the flipper is flipped. If it isn't closing, you have it set up wrong.

You've stated a couple times in the post what the issue is, and the game is telling you as well, so there not much left to do but figure out why that single switch isn't closing or signaling a close. It's either the switch (unlikely if you replaced it properly, VERY likely if you did not), the wiring (a break in the switch matrix daisy chain, also likely), or an issue on the board with the switch matrix (unlikely imo unless you have more switch issues or if the EOS stack shorted at one point but I'd still expect more switch issues than this).

The good news is it's probably the most useless switch in the game as there is no lane change and the game is 100% playable while you troubleshoot it.

#3 9 years ago

Note: The EOS can heat up enough to melt the plastic spacer between switches. This makes it possible to short solenoid voltage into the switch matrix. You can also do it by accident fiddling with it with the power on.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Note: The EOS can heat up enough to melt the plastic spacer between switches. This makes it possible to short solenoid voltage into the switch matrix. You can also do it by accident fiddling with it with the power on.

VERY common. As far as I know once this happens you have to buy a whole new stack. I do not think the spacer is available as an individual part (at least it wasn't when mine melted )

#5 9 years ago

Thanks, I'll order a complete switch stack and keep looking. One question from a complete n00b: If the lane change switch is normally open unless the flipper is activated how does the system detect the problem with the switch on startup? Something's got to be shorting, right? Thanks again for all the help....

Vince

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Hotelone:

Thanks, I'll order a complete switch stack and keep looking. One question from a complete n00b: If the lane change switch is normally open unless the flipper is activated how does the system detect the problem with the switch on startup? Something's got to be shorting, right? Thanks again for all the help....
Vince

If the switch hasn't been activated in x amount of games, the machine assumes it is broken and the alert goes out.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If the switch hasn't been activated in x amount of games, the machine assumes it is broken and the alert goes out.

Thanks, then once the problem is corrected and the switch is activated the error goes off? Thanks again...

Vince

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Hotelone:

Thanks, then once the problem is corrected and the switch is activated the error goes off? Thanks again...
Vince

correct!

#9 9 years ago

Thanks to everybody, lane change switch on order.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks again everybody. After replacing the lane change switch and having the problem recur I noticed there was no diode on the switch, and there hadn't been one on the old one either. The left flipper had one so I soldered one on the way the left flipper switch had it oriented. Complete ignorance on my part but problem solved. I'm learning little by little. Thanks again to all!

Vince

#11 9 years ago

I replaced the diodes on my switches, and the problem went away.
See if anything in this thread helps.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-column-keeps-blowing-in-high-speed?tu=mof
-mof

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Hotelone:

Thanks again everybody. After replacing the lane change switch and having the problem recur I noticed there was no diode on the switch, and there hadn't been one on the old one either. The left flipper had one so I soldered one on the way the left flipper switch had it oriented. Complete ignorance on my part but problem solved. I'm learning little by little. Thanks again to all!
Vince

We're all learning little by little...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-need-help-rt-flipper-eos-switch-38-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.