You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
20150429_185939.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Can anyone help me to find the best way to clean the sticky residue off the play field. I removed some mylar from the areas near the slingshots and can't seem to get that gunk off. The paint is very delicate with a tiny bit that came off with the removal but not too bad that I can't touch it up. Just don't want to damage it further.
Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-removal-the-safe-way#post-1004188

I've heard the flour thing before...I've got a game waiting for it myself.

#3 8 years ago

The glue is worse then the mylar. Use 91% alcohol +flour and start praying

#5 8 years ago

High Speed is by far the worst mylar glue residue I've ever dealt with. I used a lot of Goo Gone, plastic razor blades to scrape with, and even Magic Eraser used VERY carefully. There is a method out there using flour that I haven't tried yet, maybe that would work too

#6 8 years ago

Soak a few paper towels with Goo Gone (goo gone only, not one of the other things that are similar), let sit on playfield a few minutes. Some type of plastic scraper (cheap credit card type thing). *Gently* scrape it off. Repeat as necessary. When you get to the end, your thumb is the best tool to rub the remaining small bits of glue up into little "boogers". If you aren't sure you got it all, slap a quick coat of wax on it. The spots where glue still exists will be dull because the wax won't stick to it. Just be patient and gentle.

#7 8 years ago

If you suspect the paint will come off, try the flour method. People seem to rave about it here.

I've done goo gone and elbow grease, and it's a PITA to get it all off.. plus it's very abrasive to the field (all that scrubbing).

#9 8 years ago

Brush it on with a tooth brush, and use a credit card to scrape it up or a plastic razor from:

http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from bretthalsey:

Who make the best adhesive? 3M, so they also make the best remover.

Not available for sale in the following states: CA, CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT.

Whoa!

#11 8 years ago

I just had to remove glue from a playfield that had its mylar pulled several years ago and was abandoned that way,uncovered, so old dried glue with dust caked on it. Goo gone and flour did the trick (rubbing it off with those blue "shop" paper towels from pep boys/costco). It was the hardest glue removal I've ever faced but it come up beautifully.

#12 8 years ago

I originally found it at Slacks Auto Parts, but I'm in Georgia. If you get your hands on some, it will become a staple in your workshop.

#13 8 years ago

I have used the white flour + alcohol method, it works great. Pat a thin layer of flour into the residue, then dab your fingers in alcohol and roll up the glue with the flour into balls with your fingers....Repeat until all the residue is removed. Good Luck!

#14 8 years ago

Flour with Goo Gone worked great for me. It still took a little bit of time (TAF), but it was much much faster than Goo Gone alone.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not available for sale in the following states: CA, CT, DC, DE, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT.
Whoa!

has a lot of Naptha in it that's why. http://www.uline.com/PDF/MS-19595.pdf

#16 8 years ago

I used a rag soaked in Naphtha ( lighter fluid ) , placed it laying on a section of the PF glue for about 5 minutes then removed it and used a plastic scraper to roll up the old adhesive in little balls. It works but is slow going.

Naphtha did not budge the slingshot mylar adhesive and I used the orange / citrus based chemical weapons on those areas.
Don't leave the orange based stuff lay on the PF for an extended period, it will loosen paint.

IMG_0575.JPGIMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPGIMG_0576.JPG

#17 8 years ago

Man this stuff is stubborn!! Thanks for all the tips. I'll try the flour tomorrow!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-mylar-residue-removal-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.