Hi all. I didn’t see a “new members start here” sub forum so I guess I’ll start here.
I just picked up my first pin - one that I played a lot as a young teen. I always promised myself I’d get a PinBot but instead I got this High Speed.
I just got it back from the Pittsburgh area early this morning after a long round trip drive from my home near Cincinnati yesterday afternoon. Right after work, I carted it out of the garage and into the basement. Put the legs back on and fired it up. It showed a series of switches in some “Adjustment” display right at power on. The seller told me that if the game doesn’t see the switches activate for some time, it logs them into memory and displays the inactive switches this way. Good tip! It also has a quite badly touched-up playfield. I knew this going in and have already set aside the cash for a hardtop.
I studied the manual and found that all the errors were coming from a single switch column. I have an engineering background - and specifically had a long time interest in amusement lighting. At one point I worked for a scoreboard manufacturer and learned all about display matrices. The switch matrix wasn’t too foreign, either, just an industrialized version of something you’d find in a microwave oven. Cool beans.
I studied the schematic and decided to pull the CPU board and replace Q43. As I suspected, it was shorted Base-Emitter. I had a 2N4401 on hand instead of the 2N3904. For this very non critical application it’s all the same.
Dropped that in and all the missing switches on the bumpers, hideouts and ball shooter came to life. I still got the power-on error until I ran the test mode and manually manipulated all the switches.
I’ll add photos as I go along.