Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ps 1 (resized).PNG
ps (resized).PNG
ps1 (resized).PNG
20190219_183911 (resized).jpg
20190219_170927 (resized).jpg
20190218_191502 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brewchap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a new to me #High Speed that I bought just a few weeks ago. Replaced the fuse holder on the power box and wiggled a few wires on the power supply I was able to get the game up and running. We played numerous games and ran all the test/diagnostic procedures which tested good. After I got all the parts ordered, I started a tear down of the playfield to clean. I'm still waiting on the new plastic to come in, but I wanted to see how the playfield looked with the new LEDs lights that I just installed. I turned the pin on and the MPU booted up, shut down and booted up again 3 times before the MPU stayed on. It was so quick, that I didn't have time to shut the pin off. Since then I wanted to test to make sure that everything was working correctly after the strange boot up. Here I found during the solenoid test, multiple solenoids out.
Solenoids 1 - 3, 5 - 9, and 12

I have not test the driver transistors yet as I feel that I may have lost a chip with so many solenoids out at one time. This is the 1st system 11 board for me to work on, so I'm not sure where to start to fix this problem.

#2 5 years ago
20190218_191502 (resized).jpg20190218_191502 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

Bump

#5 5 years ago

Here is the picture that you requested. The power wire that I wiggle on to get the mpu to boot up looks like it is the solenoid power connector. The drawings that I have are not very clear.

I'm going to start checking power.

20190219_170927 (resized).jpg20190219_170927 (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

I could not measure any power so I tried to ground the coils. That did not work either.

#9 5 years ago

Yes I have limited knowledge using the digital volt meter. Most coils are working other then the ones that I listed above. I'm not sure how to check the Flasher #1-3 and left and right hideout relay. I have power at fuse #2 and the fuse is good.

But know I got another problem that should work first. The power supply I think keep losing it's 5 volts so I need to cap the power supply.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That power supply should be rebuilt, if you find that the fuse is good you may have some cracked header pins on the back of the power supply. You could remove it and take a pic of the back side.

20190219_183911 (resized).jpg20190219_183911 (resized).jpg
#11 5 years ago

Just to be on the safe side I will remove the old solder (using a Hako FR-300) and re-solder the pins. I'm also going to order a cap kit from GPE for the power supply.
Anything else I should order while I'm at it?

#12 5 years ago

Looks like GPE is closed for the time being. I need to find another source. Any suggestions?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Caps will not fix a non existent five volt, it will remove the AC from the five volt line. You need to test it to find out where the five volt is dieing out at so you get all the parts you need. Shipping is a killer, you only want to order once. If the header pins are burnt they will need to be replaced and not just resoldered.

Got it. Hold off on ordering till I figure out why and where i'm losing the 5 volts. Would you happen to have a readable copy of the schematics? The copy that I have downloaded with the manual is very blurry. I then should be able to know where all 5 volts lines are for testing.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Connect voltmeter to the five volt test point and turn on game, watch the meter for fluctuations while Cpu is booting. 5 volt should be steady and at least 4.9 volts and above.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes it holds 4.9 volts steady while booting up on the power supply.
For the +12 volts I measured +10 volts. On the -12 volts I measured -13 on the power supply.

Oh and thank you for the pictures. Far better than what I have now.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is a bit low, should be @ 10.5 and above. New caps and diodes on the power supply with help with this. At a minimum replace the 8 electrolytic caps and D-1 thru D-6 with 1n4007 diodes.

Thank you Grumpy, I will add the diodes to the order.

Do you have any suggestions on where to start to fix the solenoids?

#21 5 years ago

yes sir

#23 5 years ago

I got 29.6 volts for each wire.

#25 5 years ago

Ok I found that 2 red and 1 red/white wire that go to the playfield while the other red one goes to the back box somewhere. Looks like it goes to the 4 large light bulbs on the back box door.

#26 5 years ago

Not all of the solenoids that are not working are coils. Just listed as solenoids. The out hole, ball release and eject hole will be coils while flashers 1, 2, 3 and 4 are lights. then what is left is the left and right hideout relays.

#28 5 years ago

Found it. I feel pretty stupid now. It was a red wire that when to one of the flashers that I removed when I tore everything apart to clean and polish the playfeild.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brewchap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-multiple-solenoids-out?tu=Brewchap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.