20200228_180834 (resized).jpg
20200229_094933 (resized).jpg
20200215_163612 (resized).jpg
wiring_detail (resized).png
20200125_204158.jpg
20200124_194228.jpg
15F72AA8-C4D1-423B-9CF4-026035498D33 (resized).jpeg
BFE6F31F-14DD-40BF-8A9D-FF105A1B992B (resized).jpeg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Hello fellow red light runners,

After scores of hours invested in CAD modeling (54 revisions!) and PCB design, I am happy to share my replacement HS stoplight. I originally designed this as a request from Freeplay40 as a better match for his replacement ramp (eliminates the need to relocate the original). However this also serves as an alternative replacement for those with a damaged original, or for those who prefer a stoplight to look like....well like a stoplight and not a giant black brick. It is 100% plug and play with the wiring pigtail and mounts on an existing post. The housing is 3D printed in PETG and should be plenty strong to take regular pinball abuse. In the event something does break, it is a modular design so part replacement is easy.

I have enough parts on hand to make five more of these and have them available probably around the end of Jan. If you would like to be on this list, send me a PM and I'll pass along the paypal info. I am asking $65 US shipped for the plug and play version shown below and $50 without the wiring. The idea is if you can solder, you can save me some time and need to stock additional parts by reusing your original harness.

DSC07188 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07188 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07191 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07191 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07190 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07190 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07193 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07193 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07195 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07195 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07196 (2) (resized).JPGDSC07196 (2) (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

PM sent! This looks awesome.

#3 4 years ago

Where did you get the PETG?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Where did you get the PETG?

It's standard PETG filament that I 3D printed.

#5 4 years ago

I've installed this and it is a great improvement on the game!

20200104_135328 (resized).jpg20200104_135328 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

First five are spoken for! In no particular order;
Pin-Pilot
frisbez
Schwabee1
Toucanf16
paragon07

I have no idea what the demand is going to be so I will gauge my next parts order depending on the # of replys over the next couple of weeks. PCB order lead time is roughly 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks for the postive feedback!

#7 4 years ago

I gotta say this is pretty sweet. I don't have my highspeed anymore, but if I did this would def be on the list to add.

#8 4 years ago

I've been wanting this upgrade for years. Many thanks to RobF for seeing this through. I have mine installed (easy install and includes the screw to attach) at the ramp entrance and thinking I will get another for the back corner.

Cheers!....Mark

#9 4 years ago

Clean look. I have mine relocated to rear painted yellow and has a piece on front the resembles stoplight. Might upgrade to yours.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've been wanting this upgrade for years. Many thanks to RobF for seeing this through. I have mine installed (easy install and includes the screw to attach) at the ramp entrance and thinking I will get another for the back corner.
Cheers!....Mark

Use a splitter Mark ?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Cheers!....Mark

Thanks Mark! When you first mentioned to me putting a second in the back corner, I took a closer look at the game. It isn't obvious to me how you would mount it.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Thanks Mark! When you first mentioned to me putting a second in the back corner, I took a closer look at the game. It isn't obvious to me how you would mount it.

No worries....I'll figure that out. Probably just a simple bracket off the back panel.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Use a splitter Mark ?

So to speak...I'd just make up a custom harness for it.

#14 4 years ago

I don’t have a high speed but I still want one! Put me on the waiting list please.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from RazorV23:

I don’t have a high speed but I still want one! Put me on the waiting list please.

That's the spirit!

#16 4 years ago

This is the solution some have used. Still leaning towards the one offered in this thread.....

15F72AA8-C4D1-423B-9CF4-026035498D33 (resized).jpeg15F72AA8-C4D1-423B-9CF4-026035498D33 (resized).jpegBFE6F31F-14DD-40BF-8A9D-FF105A1B992B (resized).jpegBFE6F31F-14DD-40BF-8A9D-FF105A1B992B (resized).jpeg
#17 4 years ago

Include me in for one.

Andy

#18 4 years ago

PM sent for two .( I have a friend not on Pinside that wants one.)

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RazorV23:

I never considered buying mods for games that I don't own. That's hardcore

I appreciated all the positive feedback and interest so far. Yesterday I put in a PCB order for another nine boards which covers nearly all of the current waitlist. This means there will be at least a 3rd run. My poor printer is going to get some exercise, that's for sure.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I never considered buying mods for games that I don't own. That's hardcore
I appreciated all the positive feedback and interest so far. Yesterday I put in a PCB order for another nine boards which covers nearly all of the current waitlist. This means there will be at least a 3rd run. My poor printer is going to get some exercise, that's for sure.

The word will spread....what do they call those production printing operations? Printer farms?

#21 4 years ago

I’m at least a month away from my High Speed restore, but don’t want to miss out. Add me to the wait list please.

#22 4 years ago

I will take 1 plug and play - PM sent

1 week later
#23 4 years ago

PM sent for one PnP.

#24 4 years ago

Parts have been coming in and the 3D printer has been hummin' along20200124_194228.jpg20200124_194228.jpg

I also finished making a new solder paste stencil fixture. It's a super simple smd board to assemble, but once it's set up, this is way faster.
20200125_204158.jpg20200125_204158.jpg

And the better news is that I got the first two (without harnesses) shipped out today. Hopefully the remaining can go out by Monday.

#25 4 years ago

Instructions on adding your own harness:

1) Disassemble the housing. There are four M3 screws to remove from the back. They require 2mm hex driver or I think 5/64" will work as well. I am not sure if it is unreasonable to think everyone has no less than five of these allen keys lying around.

2) Surrounding each LED is a light isolator (voting is now open for a better name for these). They are free floating black plastic discs meant to keep the LED light bleed down to a minimum. When you open the housing they probably will fall out. If you are lucky, when they land they will roll away and disappear. Apparently I am a very lucky person.

3) Pop the PCB out of the back of the housing, it is just held with friction.

4) Solder the wires from the back of the PCB using the silk screened info to match things up. For my third run of the boards, I will add an additional drawing that shows the shape of the connector around the solder points to make it more clear (as seen in pic below). If you find a dependency with the stock wiring color, please let me know.

5) Assemble in reverse order. Note, one of the isolators is shaped differently for clearance of the wiring soldering. Tighten the screws snug, but not overly tight. The threaded inserts are in there pretty good, but they can be convinced to tear out of the plastic if over torqued.

Enjoy!
wiring_detail (resized).pngwiring_detail (resized).png

#26 4 years ago

First batch all shipped out. I will start working thorough the current interest list for the next batch.

#27 4 years ago

My stoplight arrived a couple of days ago. This is a great mod and well done. Happy I decided to get this for my HS! Now I’m motivated to finish the resto and get back to playing!
Thanks Rob

1 week later
#28 4 years ago

Bump. Any updates? Thanks.

#29 4 years ago

I'm interested, please put me on the list.

#30 4 years ago

That's pricey, but I see that you've put a lot of time into it.
I must have one.
Please put me on the list.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#31 4 years ago

I will have 9 more to go out sometime next week. I have sent payment request PMs to the next group. I put in a larger order of PCBs for round 3. That will clear the remainder of the waitlist and should allow me to keep a handful in stock for a while. ETA on that would probably be in 3-4 weeks.

#32 4 years ago

Add me to the list please.

#33 4 years ago

Just about ready to start shipping out 2nd batch. My new friend Scary Terry really helps speed up the harness work.
20200215_163612 (resized).jpg20200215_163612 (resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago

Rob, these are great and I am very excited to install it. Job well done!

Like some of the other HS owners, I've moved my stoplight from the ramp to the back left corner after installing one of Freeplay40's ramps (I have installed LED's throughout as well). My plan is to keep the existing light as well as this new light. I just need to find a 'splitter' for the connectors.

I wonder if there is anyone that sells something that would be compatible for this setup?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

Rob, these are great and I am very excited to install it. Job well done!
Like some of the other HS owners, I've moved my stoplight from the ramp to the back left corner after installing one of Freeplay40's ramps (I have installed LED's throughout as well). My plan is to keep the existing light as well as this new light. I just need to find a 'splitter' for the connectors.
I wonder if there is anyone that sells something that would be compatible for this setup?

just buy the molex pins and connectors and make one no?...From GPE ...

#36 4 years ago

Hi RobF,

What would I be looking at to post to France please

Paul

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Hi RobF,
Paul

LGFAutos I would guess about the same as sending something from France to America...on behalf of RobF
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Hi RobF,
Paul

Under 8 ounces can ship to France for about $15 via First Class Mail.

1 week later
#39 4 years ago

Recieved mine a few days ago.
Looks great with the Hardtop and Freeplay40 clear ramp.
Feels like a brand new game.
I might play around with creating a wire harness splitter and putting the orginal stoplight in the back corner at some point, but very happy with this one. Looks like it belongs there.
20200229_094933 (resized).jpg20200229_094933 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#40 4 years ago

RCA1 Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Your PF looks fantastic. It's a nice motivator for me to get started on my hardtop install.

All of batch two orders should have been received by now with the exception for poor Andy_B in the UK. Yours is on its way. I recently received my order of 50 PCBs and am getting ready to start building more. My plan is to finish out the remainder of who is left on the list and then make these things available through pinside marketplace. At that point I will just take new orders directly. This means that I am no longer taking names for the wait list.

20200228_180834 (resized).jpg20200228_180834 (resized).jpg

On a side note for any MetPro owners out there, I am getting closer to my raising cross mod that adds that Prem functionality to the Pro model. Keep an eye out for that.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

On a side note for any MetPro owners out there, I am getting closer to my raising cross mod that adds that Prem functionality to the Pro model. Keep an eye out for that.

Dammit! That will end up being something else I gotta get.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Dammit! That will end up being something else I gotta get.

Off topic for HS, but I now have a video for the MetPro cross in this post; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/347#post-5512971

4 weeks later
#43 3 years ago

I have finally made it completely through my waitlist. Yay! I have a couple built and ready to ship right away with plenty of parts on hand to build more as needed. You can order them directly here;
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1252-robtune-/03631-high-speed-led-stoplight

I have removed the DIY harness option. With the addition of Scary Terry (aka, my auto cut and strip machine) making the harnesses is a whole lot less time consuming. I am also planning on adding a Y-harness option for those who wish to relocate the original light to the back corner. I get a couple of those built up and added to the shop shortly.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I have finally made it completely through my waitlist. Yay! I have a couple built and ready to ship right away with plenty of parts on hand to build more as needed. You can order them directly here;
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1252-robtune-/03631-high-speed-led-stoplight
I have removed the DIY harness option. With the addition of Scary Terry (aka, my auto cut and strip machine) making the harnesses is a whole lot less time consuming. I am also planning on adding a Y-harness option for those who wish to relocate the original light to the back corner. I get a couple of those built up and added to the shop shortly.

I’ll be in for a splitter when they’re avail in your shop.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I’ll be in for a splitter when they’re avail in your shop.

Ditto

#46 3 years ago

Ok cool. I get a few built and have them added.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Yes indeed, add one for me. Great work!

#48 3 years ago

Ordered one thanks

#49 3 years ago

Add me too please.

#50 3 years ago

Installed with a splitter https://imgur.com/9fJXNOG

RobF you did an awesome job with this light.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-led-stoplight?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.