• Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-20140106-00184.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hello I am working on a high speed and both left and right kickers are dead. I pulled the coils and the sleeves are melted inside both and when I do a switch test I get no response. Any ideas on what may have happened to cause this and where I should focus on to start my repair once I get the coils? Thanks

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like a problem in the special solenoid section of the MPU board. I'd start by checking Q71 and Q75 and the pre driver transistors Q70 and Q74. If they all test out okay, then you're probably looking at the 7402 chip at U45.

To get the kickers to register in the switch test you have to pull the arms towards the centre of the playfield. The scoring switch is a separate switch from the one that activates the coil.

Post edited by Grauwulf : Added more info.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips I am waiting on some coils and will check it out.

1 week later
#4 10 years ago

Ok here is what I know and what I have done.... The new coils do register in a switch test and do fire when I ground the transistors. The switches do not register any score when hit. I checked the white wire that piggybacks all of the switches and it looks good. Is there anything else I should look at that could be the problem before I go back into the board past the transistors?

#5 10 years ago

Okay, you've verified that the coils are good and everything is okay back to the drive transistors. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the coils showing up in the switch test. Do the slings fire when you close the switches that stick up through the playfield? If they do, then everything is working as it should. High Speed has separate scoring switches for the slingshots, and if you aren't getting any scoring, these could be your problem.

IMG-20140106-00184.jpgIMG-20140106-00184.jpg

I'm pointing to the scoring switch in this picture, and they are switch 49 and 50 in the switch test. If neither one is registering, check the star rollovers at the top of the playfield, they are on the same column of the switch matrix.

#6 10 years ago

Those do work but the switches that are behind the rubbers do not work in game play or test mode.

#7 10 years ago

One of the kickers was scoring before I put in the new coils ... Weird

#8 10 years ago

If the kickers aren't scoring now, check and adjust your scoring switches. As for them not firing, check for continuity from the trigger switches back to the MPU board, connector 1J18 pin 3 and pin 5. If you have the game in test mode, you can ground pin 3 and pin 5 and see if the coils fire. If they do, then the problem lies with your switches.

#9 10 years ago

I was not able to do the continuity test yet but I did ground 3 and 5 on 1J18 and nothing happened.
This is looking like a board issue if you ask me?

#10 10 years ago

Yep, I agree, it totally appears to be an issue on the board. You need to test the pre-driver transistors if you haven't already and if they test okay, replace U45 (7402).

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for your help on this ....

#12 10 years ago

No problem! Hopefully it helps.

#13 10 years ago

Looks like its the chip ... Where do I get one ?

#14 10 years ago

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp
I'm down in Rock Hill if you need more.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

One of the kickers was scoring before I put in the new coils ... Weird

Read up on the operation special solenoids for early sys 11s. Scoring has nothing to do with the coils, so not weird but expected.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html
1f. Getting Started: The Circuit Boards and How they Work "The Six Special Solenoids"

One of the most common problems with early sys 11s is the coil activation switch getting stuck or jammed. I just fixed this problem on a friends game. A switch can be misadjusted, or bumped/bent when doing other nearby work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-kickers-coils-and-switches-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.