Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191103_165245 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191016_205918 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191016_205855 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191016_205816 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi all,
As part of my ongoing freshening up of my High Speed, I've got the game working and it plays well besides a few minor issues yet to be resolved. This is until the game just locks up with lights on and sound FX looping the last noise played. Music continues to play normally but sound FX continually plays the last noise played, not the entire sound effect just the immediate tone/etc. that was playing when it locked up.
I can't reliably reproduce this issue as it happens seemingly randomly. First time was after ~15 min of playing while entering a high score, locked up on 2nd initial. Then next time was a few days later during normal gameplay after maybe 30 min of playing. I've had it happen about 9 times in the past few weeks, usually at least once per session. Turning the game off and back on it will play normally.
I've looked at the solenoids and switches and each of them seem to act normally. Pressing each switch and firing each solenoid during regular gameplay doesn't cause it to lock up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?

#2 6 years ago

Check your voltages, 5vdc 12vdc, reseat power connections. Filter cap on power supply big 18,000 mfd cat could be going as it is likely original. Also get out soldering station and heat up and add a little solder to the connections on power supply.

#3 6 years ago

The fact that you were entering initials and a lock up happened would lead me to check flipper coil diodes. One maybe broken missing or open. Ive seen this many times before.

#4 6 years ago

I should mention that I've already rebuilt the power supply including caps and have the correct voltages coming out of it.

I'm rebuilding the flippers and flipper switches in a week or two, so if the flippers are related that should solve it. Does anyone have any other ideas?

#5 6 years ago

I would reseat all socketed chips on the MPU board. Be careful you don't bend any of the legs.

#6 6 years ago

Similar to what Chad mentioned. I had this occur on my Pinbot and replaced the bridge and big capacitor with the upgraded "Rectifier board Williams Sys 3-11A #5040-09051-RC " and it cured many of the strange issues I was having such as locking up and resets. Consider this.

Matt

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Kaladia:

Hi all,
As part of my ongoing freshening up of my High Speed, I've got the game working and it plays well besides a few minor issues yet to be resolved. This is until the game just locks up with lights on and sound FX looping the last noise played. Music continues to play normally but sound FX continually plays the last noise played, not the entire sound effect just the immediate tone/etc. that was playing when it locked up.
I can't reliably reproduce this issue as it happens seemingly randomly. First time was after ~15 min of playing while entering a high score, locked up on 2nd initial. Then next time was a few days later during normal gameplay after maybe 30 min of playing. I've had it happen about 9 times in the past few weeks, usually at least once per session. Turning the game off and back on it will play normally.
I've looked at the solenoids and switches and each of them seem to act normally. Pressing each switch and firing each solenoid during regular gameplay doesn't cause it to lock up.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?

Check for broken or missing diodes on the flipper coils.

Jim

#8 6 years ago

It seems that while swapping out the resistor packs on the MPU I've managed to brick it, CPU fails to boot, no output on 7 segment display.
I've double checked each component I touched for values/orientation/solder contact and it looks good.
Only thing related to the CPU circuit I swapped was SR3, with U16 nearby copping some excess heat during a moment of distraction.

I've followed the steps suggested in http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm part 3f with all of the tests passing. +5v reaches the CPU and each PIA, reset looks fine, PIA diode test passed.
I haven't studied the schematics of the CPU circuit yet so I don't know what U16, a 74LS245, does exactly but a quick glance suggests it forwards the D0-D7 signals to the data bus, could overheating of this IC cause the CPU to fail to boot? Can anyone suggest a logic probe/DMM test procedure for U16?
As hard as it may be, anyone got any ideas?

#9 6 years ago

Added ..Deleted.

Never mind! I misread your above post!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Check for broken or missing diodes on the flipper coils.
Jim

I had a similar issue years ago and it was a cracked flipper coil diode that would separate just enough only during mutiball.

#11 6 years ago

U16 is pulsing outputs that match its data sheet, so doesn't seem to be the issue.
VMA is being held high an instant after starting low on power on.
I swapped the 6802 audio and CPU controllers around with no change.

1 year later
#12 4 years ago

I'd like to resurrect this thread because this problem continues to give me trouble and I need some help.

I've had this game for 4 months and it has played excellent except for a lamp matrix issue which was resolved by replacing the Q84 transistor.

It was back to its former glory until I started having a ball trough issue. During a game it wasn't registering when a ball drained unless I waited 5-10 seconds, or I pressed both flippers at the same time. I figured it was a trough switch issue. Did a switch test, and adjusted the left, center and right switch and all was well again. (Also fixed some fish paper that was underneath the mounting plate of the shooter lane switch. I just moved it from underneath back to where it belonged) I haven't had this issue since.

About a week after that I had some friends over and the game locked up during a game. Everything but the GI lights turned off, even the displays, music looping. I turned it off, waited a few minutes and turned it on and it never did it again that night.

I tried playing it the next day and it locked up, every game. It even reset back to attract mode one of those times.

This has been going on for 2 weeks. Here are all the symptoms:

-Attract mode works fine. It has been on for a few hours without malfunctioning.
- play a game and the game will reset back to attract mode (this happens the least)
-play a game and everything turns off, except GI lights and music. (this happens the most)
-play a game and it freezes. Whatever lights are on during the game are locked on, flippers still work, displays work, but no shots register or change the lights.
-Blew the F2 fuse a couple days ago on the power supply, replaced it with a 2.5 amp 250v slow blow
- after I restart the machine, I've pressed the CPU test switch on the left hand side of the board and it reads 0 every time. It has given me a 5 twice, but after I open the coin door, I press the test button again and I get a 0.

What I've checked:

-checked for broken diodes on coils, no diodes, backwards diodes, everything looks good to me.
-checked voltages:
Tp1- 4.99vdc
Tp2 0v tested for AC ripple and there was none
Tp3- 12.95vdc
Tp4-14.7vdc
Cpu-4.96vdc
3J5 Pin 3-100.8vdc, Pin 4-101.3vdc, Pin 5- 4.99vdc

- I've tested all of these voltages during attract mode, during a game, and during a lock up, and they all are within .03-.04 of each other or exactly the same.
- I put all of the screws back into the CPU board, as I had about 3 or 4 missing when I bought the game, and tightened them all down. This seemed to resolve the issue for about a dozen games, and then it locked on me again.
-reflowed solder on capacitors C1, C3, C10 on power supply. The person I bought it from said he replaced all of the larger capacitors on the power supply, so I assume they are good.
- pulled the U26 and U27 rom to reseat them
-also pulled all of the connectors from the power supply to reseat them

-today I installed the Inkochnito rectifier board.

I'm running out of pinside thread reading materials and the problem persists. I'd really like to try some other troubleshooting if someone has any suggestions, otherwise I was going to start replacing diodes on coils.

IMG_20191103_165245 (resized).jpgIMG_20191103_165245 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_205816 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_205816 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_205855 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_205855 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_205918 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_205918 (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Since I blew the F2 fuse a few days ago, and since installing the new rectifier board, I checked the +34vdc solenoid power at 3J1 and I get about 37.65vdc. Is this too high?

Also, when I test the IDC connector at 3J1 where the wire connects to the back of the connector, I get 27 vdc. Is this a reliable way to measure those connectors? When I measure other connectors and pins I get identical voltages whether I'm testing the pin or connector. Does this mean the connector is bad?

#14 4 years ago

38 volts is fine.
Everything else sounds fine too.
I would replace the diodes on all 3 flipper coils.

#15 4 years ago

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

#16 4 years ago

I replaced the diodes on my 2 lower flippers and after 3 solid games, it hasn't locked up. I didn't replace the upper flipper because the whole assembly looked brand new.

I should also note that I tested the diodes that I removed and they all tested the way they should.

#17 4 years ago

Playball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-intermittent-lockup?hl=gott_lieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.