Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
IMG_1990 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1966 (resized).JPG
#1 11 years ago

So my "new" HS2 is using the L-1 ROM set. I checked at http://www.pinballroms.com/eproms/wpc.html and there are the following:

CPU Eprom U6 Version P-7
CPU Eprom U6 Version L-1
CPU Eprom U6 Version L-2
CPU Eprom U6 Version L-3
CPU Eprom U6 Version L-5

It says L-2 is considered to have the least bugs. Which one do most of you use in your game? Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Most folks ask for L-2.

I would say after L-2, it's a 50/50 split between P-7 and L-5.

#3 11 years ago

I like P-5 the best. It sucks that it is a little more "PC" and you aren't running red lights anymore. Dont think I've tried L-7

#4 11 years ago

Anyone have a description of the differences?

#6 11 years ago

L-2 and P-7 are the way to go. I never cared for L-5 since they removed the "run the red light" part. L-2 is more polished and more of an "official" release compared to P-7 since that is a proto ROM, however P-7 makes it feel like a new game since it adds a 2 ball multiball at 4th gear along with some other changes. I would get both ROMs and see which you like best. After switching to P-7 I never had the desire to go back to L-2 since I really like the 2-ball multiball.

#7 11 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I need to swap out 5 for 2. Anyone know a good source ?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Anyone know a good source ?

http://www.pinballroms.com/eproms/wpc.html

I switched L-5 for L-2 and like it, might have to give P-7 a try though.

#9 11 years ago

Hwawonyu,

I have an extra L-2 ROM here since I changed out mine for one with the LED patch. You can have it if you want.

#10 11 years ago

Cool, what is an LED patch? : )

#11 11 years ago

Oops. I checked this morning, and the one I have is L-1.

The LED patch fixes a bug that is in all ROMs before a certain date that causes ghosting with LEDs. The patch doesn't get rid of all ghosting, but helps significantly.

#12 11 years ago

Thanks for offering though. Any ideas where I can buy an L-2 with patch. I did mine up with LEDS. Huge difference!!

5 years later
#13 6 years ago

There is an L-6 ROM. I've been trying to find out what the differences are, but no success so far. Does anyone have any info about this?

IMG_1966 (resized).JPGIMG_1966 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

its possible that it should read p-6 , i had the same thing with an f-14. code said l-4 when newest was l-1. it was p-4

#15 6 years ago

Is there a version with out the secret mania?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

There is an L-6 ROM.

Can you post a picture of their ROM labels?
Any chance you have access to an EPROM programmer so you can dump them?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can you post a picture of their ROM labels?
Any chance you have access to an EPROM programmer so you can dump them?

I can assist with reading ROMs in the USA if anyone wants to mail me some.

Also.... keep in mind someone with the LED ghost patcher could change the ROM letter from P-6 to L-6. Like in my WPC games all ghost patched ROMs i changed the letter to "Z", just so I know if I see its "Z" its the modified version for LEDs.

#19 6 years ago

Did not know the custom rom existed. I have a Dr Due as well. Nice work and thank you.

#20 6 years ago

Oh, the Dude mod is a no brainer. Some of the mods are a bit on what flavour you prefer. But Dude makes sence on all levels.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from michi:

There is an L-6 ROM. I've been trying to find out what the differences are, but no success so far. Does anyone have any info about this?

I would love to get my hands on that one.

I see you are from Australia. Can you run though the pricing templates, and see if there is some custom Aussie ones. Or other export ones not as stated in the manual as standard. It might just be that.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from soren:

I see you are from Australia. Can you run though the pricing templates, and see if there is some custom Aussie ones. Or other export ones not as stated in the manual as standard. It might just be that.

I'll try and take a photo of whatever label there might be next time I'm there.

I don't know what I'm looking for with the pricing templates. Which settings am I supposed to look at?

#23 6 years ago

Install templates: Utility menu -> U.9 Presets -> U.9 xx. Any country specific presets?

Pricing templates: Adjustement menu -> Pricing -> A.3 01. Anything different than standard...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#24 6 years ago

OK, here is a pic of the ROM label.

No country-specific custom presets. The A3 entries are the same as in the manual except that one or two didn't appear in exactly the same order as in the manual. (Germany and Japan or Spain, from memory.)

IMG_1990 (resized).JPGIMG_1990 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

OK, thanks. Certainly a mystery what this is all about than. I would love to get a copy of this if it is in any way possible.

#26 6 years ago

I'll try to get a copy of the ROM, but can't make any promises. I'll meet the owner in a week or two. Will get back to you.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Is there a version with out the secret mania?

I think only L5 had secret mania. I wasn't happy with L5 when I had my game. Too buggy in multiball. Switched to L2 and it was much better. Secret mania is kind of cool the first time but pointless. It's just a low scoring frenzy mode so not much fun. Game could of been so much more if there was just a few more real modes or even a hurry up. Love to see a modern version of the game that plays fast and has a lot to do.

#28 6 years ago

Secret Mania is the way to go if you are in tournament play and you need to beat a player how finished ball three before your own ball 3. In that case, if the score difference is small enough, it can be the right thing to choose. It may also be a reasonable choice if there is no progress towards the next multiball. Otherwise, it's a waste of time. Same as not starting Redline Mania if you are only one shot away from the next multiball…

#29 6 years ago

any tips on using XDelta3? The documentation says it works like another program that I am not familiar with. Shows some decompression examples but I seem to get a missing secondary compressor error. I found LZMA.EXE and put it in the same folder with xdelta3.exe, but no go.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#30 6 years ago

I had a hard time finding the right xdelta patcher....there are more than 1 versions to be found at the www. I was messing a long time with a version which didn't work and it took some time before realizing that. A version which worked for me had a 536kb filesize, build 7/1/2016 (dd/mm/yyyy). I can send you this patcher if you want by email.

#31 6 years ago

L-1 has secret mania too. I don’t know why people prefer other revisions past L-1. I dont ever notice any bugs and the ball save timer is much more reasonable

#32 6 years ago

Ok getting the correct version of Xdelta got me going. I haven't burned the ROM yet, but I have a patched file that looks proper. For Dr Dude U26 starts as 32KB and the patched file is 16KB. I think its still ok because the original file I used looks like a doubled up ROM.

Use this file

https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta-gpl/releases/download/v3.0.11/xdelta3-3.0.11-x86_64.exe.zip

Use this syntax

XDELTA3.EXE -D -S ORIGINAL.ROM PATCHFILE.XD3 PATCHEDOUTPUT.ROM

1 week later
#33 6 years ago
Quoted from soren:

OK, thanks. Certainly a mystery what this is all about than. I would love to get a copy of this if it is in any way possible.

So, L-6 is a version that has the lamp matrix timing modified so you can use LEDs in the machine without ghosting. Apparently, it's otherwise the same as L-5. I'll try to get a copy of the ROM.

#34 6 years ago

OK. If that is the case, it is fine by me. Thanks for clearing this out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-ii-which-rom-set-is-best?hl=michi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.