Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by Blake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
1 (resized).jpg

#1 12 days ago

Just finished restoring a High Speed. Everything works fine except at random times, either hideout will fire with no ball there and sometimes they both fire at the same time. It looks like the game thinks there are balls in the hideouts when there aren't. What makes me lean away from it being an issue with the switches is I can manually actuate them as well as put in ball in the hideout and they work as they are supposed to. It also doesn't always happen. I played three games and got multiball on all three with no issue. Other times the issue occurs. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet apart from testing the switches and playing the game. Wanted to get some advice from you guys. I did a search and found some threads with a similar issue, but they didn't discuss both of the hideouts firing. They pointed to a ground issue and suggested reflowing header pins since both the hideout coils share the same ground. I haven't had a chance to do that yet but in the assumption that someone has come across this issue before, I wanted to post and ask if anyone had some specific advice other than reflowing header pins. Also, I'm not too familiar with the game. Sometimes on a fresh game, when you hit the ramp for the first time, it will load the left hideout first. Other fresh games it will load the right hideout first. The diverters both work fine. I'm assuming it should load the left hideout first all the time? If so, then the machine thinks there's a ball in the left hideout when there's not. Had one game where it malfunctioned right after the first red light run. One more ramp hit would have started the multiball but it just ejected the ball from the right hideout and proceeded as if the multiball had ended even though it never started. Does that make sense?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond (if you do). It's appreciated.
1 (resized).jpg

#2 12 days ago

Can you get the switch to act intermittent inside test mode? Use a ball to trigger it rather then your finger. May be a simple adjustment.

Easiest way to identify if its switch specific, rather then ground issues or some matrix issue, is to swap the left and right switches. If the problem moves from one side to the other then you have your culprit. Or you can swap out for new and see if the issue goes away as well.

Harder to do with intermittent issues and isn't always immediately apparent but it does work.

Thanks
Blake

#3 12 days ago

I'll give all that a try. Thank you.

#4 12 days ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

I'll give all that a try. Thank you.

No problem! We have to keep one of the sharpest looking lineups in THE ARCADE "wink" world tip top.

Thanks
Blake

pasted_image (resized).png
#5 12 days ago

Nice! You came to visit all the way from Vermont? We replaced Elvira with High Speed. Elvira was our lowest earner.

#6 12 days ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Nice! You came to visit all the way from Vermont? We replaced Elvira with High Speed. Elvira was our lowest earner.

Nope never been in person but have followed you folks as you opened. Mostly on klov (mk3u2012). You have been a great resource for many of our arcade repairs. My son and I have also enjoyed your YouTube channel (MK content makes us happy).

Thanks
Blake

#7 12 days ago

Oh, hey! You're welcome. Always happy to help when I can.

#8 11 days ago

Quick update. Spent nearly 5 hours working on the machine last night. Found numerous switches that would register when you manually actuated them, but would either not spring back open or had leafs that needed adjusted (contacts too close). I could bang on the playfield slightly and multiple switches would register from vibration. Also discovered the switches that register the balls resting in the hideouts were intermittent. Sometimes they would register when a ball was sitting, other times they wouldn't. Adjusted those switches and all the others and now when I bang on the playfield, nothing registers and I played through 10 games, manually activating Multiball on each game and I no longer have any issues that I could see.

So it turned out to simply be numerous switches that needed to be adjusted. I tested them all manually after reassembly of the playfield but I guess the issues did not rear their head until actual gameplay was attempted a few times. Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone has similar issues in the future. I'm not calling it 100% fixed until more people have the chance to play it that are more familiar with the working of the game than me, but it's better that it was at any rate.

#9 11 days ago

Great! You may find that those switches will just need replacing eventually. Also be careful of tightening to much as you can squeeze the plastic housing of the switch to the point where the switch lags. And last but not least, in a pinch I have used Deoxit/contact cleaner to lube sticky switches. Then when I have time I replace them.

Thanks
Blake

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 17.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside