image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMAG0334_(resized).jpg
IMAG0332_(resized).jpg
IMAG0330_(resized).jpg
IMAG0318_(resized).jpg
IMAG0316_(resized).jpg
IMAG0323_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jared1862.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I need help diagnosing my High Speed Pinball.

When running a coil test the following coils do not click:
All Flippers
All Pop Bumbers
Both right and left hideaways - but they do have a faint clicking, just not firing.

Thanks in advance.

#3 8 years ago

That wasn't it. Thanks though.

#6 8 years ago

I replaced the fuses in the backbox, am I missing one on the playfield?

Is there a transistor on the mpu board that would cause all of these not to work?

Basically, when I turn it on. It loads the game, kicks out the ball to play but the flippers don't work, pops don't work and both hideaways.

I'm a novice not sure on how to short out the transistor tab, but if explained I'm sure I can do it.

I'm trying to follow the wires back to the mpu board, but it's a headache... Any idea what connection(s) they are?

I'll double check all of the molex connectors again. Thanks for the help!

#11 8 years ago

That fuse was bad, so now the hideaways fire!

However, I still have a mess. I bought this at an auction pretty cheap, now I know why...
The previous owner replaced both flipper coils, two pop bumpers coils (neither look to be the correct coil). Also he added diodes in an unusual way, or at least to me.

When I run the coil test now the below do not fire: (Which is now two less then before)
Left Kicker 17
Right Kicker 18
R. Jet Bumper 19
LL Jet Bumper 20
UL Jet Bumper 21
Top Flasher 22

Lastly, there is some damage on the board where the transistors are on J19. So I will most likely send the board in for repair.

I think my problem is due to some bad transistors and possible board damage. However I am not sure what caused it...

Also, I still have no idea why the flippers aren't working, unless it has something to do with J19, where all the damage is done.

#12 8 years ago

Burnt Transistors.

IMAG0323_(resized).jpgIMAG0323_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

This is one of the flipper coils. Double diodes??? One on the coil, and one attached by curly wires?

IMAG0316_(resized).jpgIMAG0316_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago

3 different coils for the Pop Bumpers. The ones replaced have the curly diodes.

IMAG0318_(resized).jpgIMAG0318_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago

No they don't work during game play either.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

That is a serious hack. No coiled wires running off of or in line with diodes. And that length of wire is probably dramatically increasing the resistance.

Yes, I agree. I am going to replace all of the diodes and lose the telephone wire.

Quoted from foxct:

There is fuse for the flippers on a separate board if I recall. You should check that if you haven't already.
The special solenoids (the 6 you list) may also be on a common fuse, I forget. Q77 looks burnt, it could be shorted causing a fuse to blow for all the special solenoids. You could pull the wire from J19, slot 8, to take Q77 out of the circuit (with power off), make sure the fuses are all good, and then try it.

There is a separate board, and the fuse is good. You are correct, there is a fuse for the special solenoids, and that is good as well. I do think it is odd that none of the fuses blow.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from foxct:

Strange indeed. Are you removing the fuses and checking them with a meter?

Quoted from GRUMPY:

I asked before, Do you have a DMM?

Yes, and I used it to check the fuses.

#25 8 years ago

All 3 lugs on both coils registered 069.5 DC Voltage
All 3 Pop Bumpers registered 25.18 on all lugs.
Both Kickers registered 25.30 on all lugs.

#26 8 years ago

Left Flipper coil

IMAG0330_(resized).jpgIMAG0330_(resized).jpg

#27 8 years ago

Right Flipper Coil

IMAG0332_(resized).jpgIMAG0332_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago

I also check the resistance on the transistors Q69, Q71, Q73, Q75, Q77 and they all registered 041.5. Q79 registered 0.L?

#30 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is the molex for the flippers, among other things. It looks like it was a clear molex at one point? I was unable to separate the connection to inspect further. I didn't want to put to much force into it so I don't break it. Is it possible this connection overheated?

IMAG0334_(resized).jpgIMAG0334_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

It sounds like you have lost high power voltage. Does anything 50V fire at all test or in game?
In the picture of the board repair is that suppose to be a 1/2 watt resistor R104?? least of your troubles. Some of those hacks will need fixed to get these other things to work properly I am sure of it. Yeah auctions...
Also the transistor below it has gotten very very hot. (Q77 I think) check trace from Q77 to touching components from the backside of the board.

The following don't fire in the game or during test:
Both Flippers
Both Kickers
All 3 pop bumpers

I'm not sure which are 50V. All the other coils in the game do fire.

Yes clearly the board will need some work.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Those are the correct coils for the game, this type of coil only needs one diode on it. If you look at the flipper switches on the cabinet there is a orange wire on there. Take a jumper wire and connect it to the orange wire and to the ground braid wire in the bottom of the cabinet. Turn on the power, then press the button with the jumper. Does the flipper work now? If so then use the jumper on the other side and check that flipper. P/S that connector is the worst burnt connector I have seen in a long time.

That worked.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Good, then remove the jumper from the cabinet and move it to the ground braid in the back box. Take the other end of the jumper and clip it to a small nail. With the power on take the jumper with the nail and touch it to 1J19 pin 1 and pin 2. When you do this have someone push the flipper buttons, do both work now? You leave the connector on 1J19 and use the nail to touch the metal where the wire is stuck in.

That worked as well.
I also shorted out the transistor tabs on J19, as someone else recommended, they also all fired except the flasher on Q79.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Its a burnt bulb.

I checked that, the bulb is fine. The socket also looked corroded, but figured it had to be the transistor since it didn't register any resistance.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

This tells me that your problem is on the Cpu board, so do you know how to solder correctly? Do you have a logic probe?

I can solder, but I have never attempted on a board. I guess it's time to give it a shot. I do not have a logic probe, but will order one now. Is there a logic probe you would recommend, I'll probably just order off of Amazon.

Thanks for all of your help!

1 week later
#45 8 years ago

Logic probe arrived today.

#47 8 years ago

I wasn't sure how to determine what pin is 13 or 6. I believe in both photos it is the bottom picture that is correct?

u50_(resized).jpgu50_(resized).jpg

u56_(resized).jpgu56_(resized).jpg

#49 8 years ago

Do you start with the top row or bottom row? Also the board installed is upside down compared to the manual. So looking at the board installed, do I start with the top or bottom row?

#51 8 years ago

Pin 13 on U50 is Lo, and Pin 6 on U56 is Hi.

#53 8 years ago

When I start a game 11, 12, are both lo. 13 is now hi. Pin 6 on U56 is still hi.

#55 8 years ago

Both are hi in start game mode.

#58 8 years ago

It looks like both U55 and U56 have been replaced. And yes I read the guide. Also transistor Q76 looks like one of the prongs has broke. Where is the best place to order these parts?

IMAG0357_(resized).jpgIMAG0357_(resized).jpg

IMAG0356_(resized).jpgIMAG0356_(resized).jpg

#60 8 years ago

1456542403115_(resized).jpg1456542403115_(resized).jpg

#61 8 years ago

Is U56 an 7406 chip?

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You may want to put a cap kit in the p/s.

I'm not sure what that means, but I will google it. Unless you want to explain it.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you measured the 5, 12 and -12 volts on the test points?

I have not. Are you referring to the power supply? I'll google that as well, unless you want to explain it, and will let you know.

Thanks again for all of your help!

2 weeks later
#67 8 years ago

Parts arrived today. I installed the chip and transistor and now it works!

Those flashers still don't work, I replaced the bulbs, and the 4 player display doesn't work. But I will check on the wiring tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help, soldering the board was a lot easier than I thought!

#69 8 years ago

No. Is that on the board or playfield?

2 weeks later
#72 8 years ago

I haven't check the dropping resistor yet, and yes I will order a new connector. Hopefully I will have time next week.

4 weeks later
#74 7 years ago

The dropping resistor was missing, so those work now. However, on my 8th game last night, the pop bumpers and the side slings quit working again. I'm not sure if I'll have to replace the chip or transistor again, I'll reread this post to determine that. But before I do that I want to figure out why it keeps blowing them. Bad diode or coil?

#76 7 years ago

Flashers are fine. Just those 5 all at the same time. I have not replaced the molex yet.

#78 7 years ago

I reflowed, looks like it was done once or twice before. Also, I should have checked this right away, the special solenoid was blown. Replaced it and got another 8 games until it blew again. I'll start working on replacing that molex next.

1 week later
#80 7 years ago

I was going to cut out the Molex tonight, and splice the wires together, but I kind of ran into a problem. There's more wires coming off the head then going into the playfield. Also, some of the wire colors aren't matching up? Lastly, I did get the molex apart and all the pins on both sides, look really good to me.

I was hoping to just cut off both sides of the molex, and splice the wires by color. But right now I'll have 2 wires coming from the head that don't go to anything, and some, not all of the wires coming from the head are not the same color as the wires going to the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jared1862.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-help-2?tu=Jared1862 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.