• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by billccm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hslamp_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frisbez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Bought a High Speed recently and am now in the process of getting everything working correctly. This is the first machine I have bought and I am definitely not very knowledgeable (yet) so any help would be appreciated.

The problem I'm running into here is that the left half of the backbox GI lights are not turning on. The left side works fine, and the playfield GI lights work as well.

Picture!

I have done a few things, including reading a ton of repair lists but haven't found a culprit yet. I checked the connector on the power supply; it does not look burnt. I tried wiggling the connector and was able to get both the playfield and right side backbox lights to turn on and off, but nothing from the left side. I also tried replacing some of the bulbs but no dice.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

#4 8 years ago

So first off I realized I forgot to mention this earlier but it might be a major issue. Instead of using a molex connector like all of the schematics and pictures, my power wire from the transformer has some hacks going on. Here is a picture of what is going on. The wires from both the transformer and P/S are stripped and wrapped together and then covered with a plastic plug. Not cool. Fiddling with the wires resulted in the same thing as earlier. By separating them I could get the GI to turn off, but making sure they had contact had no effect on the left side of the GI.

Then I started with LTG's advice and checked the AC voltage. From the transformer I was getting 5.4v to the relay. I then tested connector to the GI by placing one lead into a header on one side of the connector and the other lead into the corresponding header on the other side. I'm not sure if I was doing this right. I got this method here: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

Is that the right way to test that?

I then started checking voltages on the backbox lights themselves. Any light that was on was giving a reading of 4.8v, and the lights that were off were 0v

#5 8 years ago

Next I removed the P/S like Grumpy suggested.

Here is a picture of the solder joints. http://imgur.com/7H6IkvQ

I don't know what is going on here. I don't see any cracks but these are clearly way more blobby than other areas on the board.

I can take more/better pictures if needed.

Any advice on what to do next?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frisbez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-gi-issues?tu=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.