Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by bendaug
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders... need you help please. Just purchased a high speed 2 and when powered on the upper 3rd flipper will stay on while lower flippers work fine. i lossened the sleeve to move out of the way..for now but desperately want to order correctly and fix. is this a diode? bad coil? or just a rebuild kit or?? please guide me here ..happy for the suggestions. thanks

#2 8 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders... need you help please. Just purchased a High Speed 2 and when powered on the upper 3rd flipper will stay on while lower flippers work fine. i lossened the sleeve to move out of the way..for now but desperately want to order correctly and fix. is this a diode? bad coil? or just a rebuild kit or?? please guide me here ..happy for the suggestions. thanks

#3 8 years ago

May sound crazy this happened to me once with this very game. Is the flipper rubber binding with the steel guide that's behind it?

#4 8 years ago

no i checked that just now, thanks. its wierd it was stuck extended like its charged or like im holding flipper down. thing that confuses me is the right flipper button works 2 flippere..lower works fine but upper stays charged. so this tells me its in upper coil somewhere..but is it diode..eos switch ,coil ?? just dont wanna replace wrong stuff ya know.

#5 8 years ago

just found this...will keep you posted on what i find..wish me luck

Flipper gets stuck in the up position...
If the flipper is stuck in the up position, turn the game off. If the flipper falls back, the problem is electrical. If the flipper stays up, the problem is mechanical.
Mechanical "Stuck Up" Problem:

Check the EOS switches and the flipper pawl. Often the rubber coating on the flipper pawl that contacts the EOS switch will wear. This causes the flipper pawl to hang up on the end of the EOS switch. The end of the EOS switch can even get torn and fray from this. See "Rebuilding Flippers" for information on fixing this. Also if the flipper coil stop get mushroomed, this will increase the flipper plunger travel. This will make it easier for the flipper pawl to stick on the EOS switch.
Flipper too tight inside the playfield flipper bushing. This causes binding between the playfield bushing and the flipper crank assembly. There should be about a 1/32" gap. If the flipper paddle doesn't have any vertical movement, it's too tight. Use the flipper adjustment tool included with the game to fit this (see rebuilding flippers for more info).
Check the flipper return spring. Is it broken or missing?
Electrical "Stuck Up" Problem:
Non-Fliptronics Games:
Make sure the cabinet flipper switch is adjusted properly, and not stuck closed.
Fliptronics Games:
Flipper cabinet switch is bad. On games with opto flipper cabinet switches, check the two opto boards. A bad or dirty opto can cause this problem. Flipper opto boards were implemented on Addams Family, mid-production (some Addams have them, some don't). On pre-opto flipper switch WPC games, check/clean the mechanical cabinet flipper switch.
Flipper gets very hot and eventually starts to burn and smell. This means the hold TIP102 transistor for that flipper is shorted on, and needs to be replaced.
Flipper immediately energizes and stays up when a game is started, or when the game turns on. The TIP36 transistor that controls the high voltage side of the coil is shorted on, and needs to be replaced.
Addams Family ONLY: The Addams Family pinball was the first Williams solidstate "fliptronics" game. It was the only game to use a "Fliptronics I" board (all later games used a "Fliptronics II" board). The Fliptronics I board has a unique personality. If both diodes on the right flipper coil (upper or lower) are missing or broken, as soon as the right flipper cabinet button is pressed in a game, both right flippers will stick in the "up" position. The right flippers will not release until the left flipper cabinet button is pressed! Note this MAY also happen if one diode on each right flipper coil is bad too. This problem can also happen to the left flipper, and is still related to coil diode failure. To fix this, check both right flipper coils and make sure the diodes are not broken or missing. Also make sure the left flipper coil's diodes are present and not damaged. Finally, sometimes a bad flipper diode will cause the Fliptronics I board's TIP102 hold transistor to fail. If the problem still exists after replacing the diodes on all the flipper coils, check the TIP102 hold transistor on the Fliptronics board.
Flipper problems should be addressed by at least one of the above.

#6 8 years ago

HS2 has a double leaf switch for the right flipper button, is the upper flipper gap properly adjusted? Is the issue happening as soon as you power it on, only when you start a game, or the first time you press the flipper button?

#7 8 years ago

hmmm.. .. will be right back with that answer

#8 8 years ago

so.. I can now close this thread. as i mentioned i just purchaqsed this machine knowing it had a flipper issue and ive gotten lucky. it was the double contact on the right flipper button. it was just bent and out of adjustment..phew. dodged a problem. thanks for replies

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Boards
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 72.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-getaway-3rd-flipper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.