image.jpg
IMG_20121125_134720.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 484 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 11 years ago

Nope. The yellow ring around the inserts has little spots of white in them. It's still two tone grey

#152 11 years ago

So much better already. Took a picture of what I was doing with those lower inserts as well to show you what I was talking about with the little white spots around them.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#153 11 years ago

Looking good!!

Mike O.

#154 11 years ago

Oh yes very nice indeed. It's obviously hard to see what the Frisket is covering to prevent being painted. I thought you had painted the upper light grey border all white, thinking it had yellowed...

#155 11 years ago

Getting closer. Did most of the small touchups and shot another coat of clear. Next is to spray the blue and light grey.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#156 11 years ago

looking awesome.

#157 11 years ago

can i send you mine when you are done? it looks amazing!!!! i would love to be able to do this kind of work to mine, but i lack the patients and talent.

christopher

#158 11 years ago

Looking GOOD!!!

#160 11 years ago

Why don't you do all the touchups then start to clear? I'm thinking of tackling mine now that you encouraged me.

#161 11 years ago

When huge areas are masked and sprayed if I lay mask over the sprayed areas to paint another color I run the risk of pulling up what I just painted when I pull off the 2nd mask. A thin coat of clear seals it all in. Just helps so I don't lose progress.

#162 11 years ago

Where do you buy the frisket?

How did you know what colors to choose?

Looks freakin awesome!!!!

#163 11 years ago

Any craft store has 8.5z11 sheets. Or I bought a 12" x 1000' roll on eBay

For colors I try a spot on the playfield of whatever colors look closest. When it dries wipe it with Naptha. If it blends right in its your color. If not start mixing colors and repeat.

#164 11 years ago

When you airbrush over the clear it doesn't run?

#165 11 years ago

Thanks for the tips!

#166 11 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Airbrushing is a slow process that requires many lite coats allowing drying in between coats. Yes it will run if your impatient and spray to heavy.

#167 11 years ago

I sand with 500 grit after clearing to level everything after clearing. Also helps the airbrush paint "stick"

#168 11 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I'am sure that he is sanding abit to give a some tooth for the paint being airbrushed on.

Looking good there Whridlsoncestood, impressive.

#169 11 years ago

Wow, Thanks for the thread - you have definitley inspired me to do my own restoration.

So what are you using for the clear and how are you spraying it? Is it a rattle can, do you use your airbrush or do you use siphon fed/HVLP type of sprayer to apply?

And last question, what brand of Acrylics are you using and are you mixing them with anything (retarder or thinner?)

#170 11 years ago

For clear I am using varathane. No rattle cans. I buy it by the gallon. I'm using a Fuji turbine HVLP setup to spray it. I have no place to spray toxic auto. I have used rattle cans in the past with success tho if its all you can. Just take lots of prep and patience for good results.

Paints are acrylics from the craft store. I only thin to spray with my basic craft airbrush. I thin with invisible glass. It's simmilar to windex which most people use to thin acrylics but has no blue tint to it so it won't discolor whites or other light colors.

I can get pictures of my equipment if you'd like.

#171 11 years ago

Yes, if you could post a couple pix of your equipment and materials it would be appreciated.

Also, when you clear between colors, are you doing the entire playfield or just the freshly painted section and sanding level?

Thanks for the tip on the Invisible Glass. I use it at home, but never knew that you could use it to thin your acrylics. Up to this point, I have mainly done just small brush touchups and followed the methods on Pinrepair. So I am interested in trying to take it to the next level for a full playfield restoration.

#172 11 years ago

In case you were looking for cabinet stencils, 10 have just been listed on Ebay.

ebay.com link: Williams HIGH SPEED Pinball Machine Stencil Kit

#173 11 years ago

Thanks for the link. Found that last night as well. If you notice there is only 9 left

Well worth 159. Saves me a ton of time and even if I cut then myself after making the art files I would still have to buy the vinyl.

#174 11 years ago

Also here is some of my equipment.

#175 11 years ago

Fuji HVLP turbine setup.

#176 11 years ago

I have no idea how I missed this thread till now...

Great work and thanks for posting it up WITH pics!

#177 11 years ago

Great Job!

Robert

#180 11 years ago

I know it was asked before, not sure if you answered.

Do u spray a coat of clear over the entire pf after touching up one area?

#181 11 years ago

Yes I do. Otherwise I would have lots of different layers that would turn into humps everywhere. With the white since it was everywhere on the playfield that was all I could do before spraying a coat of clear. With the blue I did that now I can spray some light grey areas that aren't close of adjacent to it and then clear.

Just a few spots then prep for the decals.

#182 11 years ago

Thanks, that's what I thought. Makes perfect sense.

#183 11 years ago

Stencils for the cab came in. Making good progress now. Playfield will be done except for decals this weekend. IMG_5862.JPGIMG_5862.JPG

#184 11 years ago

Light grey done. Few hand touchups and I'm done painting it finally.

IMG_5863.JPGIMG_5863.JPG IMG_5865.JPGIMG_5865.JPG IMG_5866.JPGIMG_5866.JPG

#185 11 years ago

I glanced at your game ownership history and see you currently own two games and have owned three previously. If that is accurate relative to your game ownership, the work you are doing on this HS and the skillset/quality you are bringing to this hobby will take you far.

I've owned over 200 games and you are enhancing your game in ways I may never be able to accomplish.

Well done.

Mike O.

#186 11 years ago

Are you painting in a bedroom/in the house? How do you do that and ventilate the area?

#187 11 years ago

Yeah. 5 machines. Started owning them about a year and a half ago. Restored 3 of the 5. I only have room for two at a time so one is usually playable while one is torn into pieces for a restoration.

#188 11 years ago

I think it's probably a little under realized how much time actually went into laying, and skillfully cutting the frisket to shape around everything. How do those stencils look? I decided to pass once again on these, I passed them up in 2009.

#189 11 years ago

It's just a little airbrush with acrylics. Not a huge ventilation issue. I clearcoat in my kitchen/screened deck. Fans and open windows/doors.

#190 11 years ago

I've got 75 hours into this already. Just doing the light grey today took me about 3.5 hours and there wasn't many of those areas.

Stencils look good as far as I can tell. Until I pull them apart to lay I won't know really.

#191 11 years ago

Wow, that is persistence for sure. Looking good.

#192 11 years ago

Only thing left is the decals on the playfield. I've been stranded in my house since friday. Still no way to get out. Been working on organizing tumbled parts and cleaning some of the cab parts. Regrained all the ball guides as well.

IMG_5878.JPGIMG_5878.JPG IMG_5880.JPGIMG_5880.JPG

#193 11 years ago

Great work

#194 11 years ago

How did you do the ball-guides?

When you can finally leave your house, sometime you should swing by and see my Taxi. When my CPR playfield comes in, I basically want to overhaul Taxi like you did with this game, minus the playfield painting

#195 11 years ago

Gladly rich. I love taxi

For the ball guides I sand them using various grits. The deeper the ball trail the lower the grit. Down to 220 on the worst ones. Then keep stepping it up until I hit about 1000 grit. That looked about right to me. No sense in polishing them to a shine. Couple games and they would have a trail on it again a d probably be more noticeable with the rest of it all shiny.

#196 11 years ago

Few more things put back together.

IMG_5884.JPGIMG_5884.JPG IMG_5885.JPGIMG_5885.JPG IMG_5886.JPGIMG_5886.JPG

#199 11 years ago

Figured I would make a paint list for what I used for anyone interested before I put my paints away.

Keep in mind all greys are not direct matches. They are very close but not yellowed and bring it back to its original look.

White and black are just the standards

Dark Grey- Apple Barrel-20580 Pewter Grey

Medium Grey-Ceramcoat-02543 Rain Grey

Light Grey-Apple Barrel- 20526 Country Grey

Blue-Ceramcoat-02589 Mediterranean

Dark Green-Folk Art-927 Old Ivy

Yellow-Ceramcoat-02412 Empire Gold

Bright Red-Americana-DA199 Primary Red

Light red-JoAnn Essentials-72007 Real Red

#200 11 years ago

looks great so far. Looking forward to the finished product. High Speed rocks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 484 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-full-restoration-started-whridlsoncestood-112512/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.